Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #71,926 of 150,052
dm ... as in decimetres?! God, I love the SI (metric) system! :ksc75smile:

You are correct :wink: I could've written 20cm, 200mm or 0.2m instead and it'd be just the same, of course, but I figured the more you know :D

Sounds like a “KPop” genre needed.

You'll have no arguments from me! :)

I can understand their side though since KPop really consists of so many different genres, some might be R&B, some could be Jazz, and most are Pop/EDM. But like, at least let me filter by country then so I could filter by South Korea and call it done :p I haven't found any way to filter/focus by country, does it exist?

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #71,928 of 150,052
Feb 17, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #71,930 of 150,052
I started hearing a little static on the left channel of my setup lately, so I swapped some “new” tubes into place on the Freya+ this morning. Let them burn in for a couple hours.

Not only is the static gone, but the sound is overall renewed. Should have done it as soon as I heard something.

28820DC0-BBA4-4105-BB48-6D6705755379.jpeg

New Electro Harmonix Gold Pins on the right / NOS GE on the left.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #71,931 of 150,052
Tube rolling can get addicting. I now have a spreadsheet tracking them. I'm trying to slow down.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #71,932 of 150,052
I started hearing a little static on the left channel of my setup lately, so I swapped some “new” tubes into place on the Freya+ this morning. Let them burn in for a couple hours.

Not only is the static gone, but the sound is overall renewed. Should have done it as soon as I heard something.

Nice shot

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #71,933 of 150,052
Move to Hokkaido :ksc75smile: My two winter visits there (backcountry ski touring) I was super-impressed with the AWD trucks and vans with huge snow tires navigating snow canyons with great finesse. I love Hokkaido, hoping to go back again after COVID crazyness.

s-f-2-a-1.jpg

I have a friend who lives there. He is from Hawaii. As soon as it snows he gets all excited. I'll stick to enjoying watching the news reporters enter a snow tunnel to arrive at someone's front door, because their house is otherwise buried.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #71,934 of 150,052
Spring chicken :). Just celebrated 65, 4 North Cascades climbs scheduled this (Covid Godz willing) .....
Can I cut to the chase and go the other way to those of us who were born yesterday (or at least whose age still starts with a 2?).
I'm getting dangerously close to buying a Pi, bolting on a spare Seagate 2TB (slowwww) Expansion portable HD, an externally-powered DVD/Blue-Ray/CD drive, and screwing it onto a hollowed-out Hi-Fi/wood-paneled component chassis. Hell, even my Xbox attached via a 8-10ft to Bifrost with an AmazonBasics TOSlink cable might give me that transport-gadget experience! I was dissapointed with Baldr's February/21 update about the gadget (no cost-effective processor). What's a gadget freak (like me) supposed to do?! :deadhorse: {I'm beating a dead horse..*itch, *itch, moan-and-groan}.
I know I just ordered the Pi2Design hat and have the external HDD (planning on replacing with a decent sized SSD) to run headless with the 2 channel stuff. Grabbed a CBL AES cable in red braid (recently enough it hasn't shipped from the midwest yet) to go to a backordered Yiggy (known backorder when I ordered it) which should get here before the Ohm speakers. Already have the Freya S and monoblock Vidars which should be fun!

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #71,935 of 150,052
Speaking of winter roads and Scotland, I've gotten a kick from how they name their road snowplows known as gritters or salters on their tracker page:

BFG Big Friendly Gritter
For Your Ice Only
Gritallica
Grit Expectations
Grits-N-Pieces
Gritty Gonzalez
Gritty Gritty Bang Bang
Ice Queen
Lew-Ice Hamilton
License to Chill
Luke Snowwalker
Nitty Gritty
Sir Grits-A-Lot
Snowkemon Go
Spready Mercury
Sprinkles
Yes Sir, Ice Can Boogie

And my current fave:

Gritter Thunberg!

https://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #71,937 of 150,052

I didn't know that you can mix and match brands like this.

Am I right to say that it is ok to use tubes that are not matched?

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #71,938 of 150,052
I didn't know that you can mix and match brands like this.

Am I right to say that it is ok to use tubes that are not matched?

Yes, you can mix and match pairs of tubes. I believe the right hand pair of tubes are on the input side, and make a greater difference on sound quality. The left pair of tubes are on the output side. I've read those are less critical, and don't need to be premium tubes.

A beautiful preamp too. I wish I was staring at one. It would look so good with my Gungnir! 😍

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #71,940 of 150,052
Interesting. I found Roon (on a NUC, with addition of Tidal and Qobuz) to be the definition of simplicity. Just works. (For me). Other streaming set ups have driven me bananas. Ymmv but if you can get past the build phase it’s just so much better - and gets back some amount of what I like about perusing record covers / liner notes etc.
I found the NUC / Linux / ROCK setup a bit finicky, but that was it. Once installed it has worked like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back