Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 11, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #71,567 of 155,078
That was the dedicated line for the audio system, obviously. :laughing:
That's one explanation. Wouldn't have made a spot of difference for my supermarket one box stereo at the time.

Another is theft. Pure and simple.

Allegedly, the former occupant was found dead in the apartment. Coincidence?

He could of course have frozen to death :skull:

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #71,569 of 155,078
Well, they did mention raw sewage, so it could very well be a NC BBQ side discussion. :thinking:

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #71,571 of 155,078
I don't really know how to bring this.
In the past I was the one claiming that a player (software) couldn't make any sound difference. Always did it of as the famous two letters that start with a B and ends with an S.
Now, with the new Roon 1.8 release I must be dreaming or my ears are fooling me.
I now think there are some improvements made in the timing domain because I think I'm hearing more detail, more sound stage and better placement.
Nothing else has changed in my audio chain but the Roon upgrade a few days ago. Am I the only dreamer? Am I nuts?

PS. Love the way the Roon Focus function works. It's great for popular music, but it must be a dream for classical music fans.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #71,572 of 155,078
Too new of a Roon user (installed on 2/8) to comment on differences between 1.7 and 1.8, but I must say that I am quite happy with Roon and its sound.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #71,573 of 155,078
I don't really know how to bring this.
In the past I was the one claiming that a player (software) couldn't make any sound difference. Always did it of as the famous two letters that start with a B and ends with an S.
Now, with the new Roon 1.8 release I must be dreaming or my ears are fooling me.
I now think there are some improvements made in the timing domain because I think I'm hearing more detail, more sound stage and better placement.
Nothing else has changed in my audio chain but the Roon upgrade a few days ago. Am I the only dreamer? Am I nuts?

PS. Love the way the Roon Focus function works. It's great for popular music, but it must be a dream for classical music fans.
Your ears are not fooling you. Roon sounds different than other network protocols because of the RAAT scheme. The 1.8 update sounds better than the 1.7 version did. I cannot pretend to know why, but I am enjoying it.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #71,574 of 155,078
I have tried watching the replay of the Mike Moffatt Q&A from yesterday on the u-toob and the f-book, and the video is running at like 2-4 frames per second, however the audio seems mostly OK. Tried two different PCs, same issue. Is it working OK for you guys stateside? Maybe it's still buffering to the down under interweb

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #71,575 of 155,078
To those who think hardware is hard and software is easy, there are lessons to be learned from the Roon 1.8 upgrade.

From users complaining it wasn't available at 900 am on the dot on the release day, it went fo a full on revolt from some users about the upgrade not working, lost functionality and changes to the user interface.

Nothing is ever easy, is it.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #71,576 of 155,078
I enjoyed seeing Mike today, he is hilarious.

Talking about measurement geeks only being interested in, "giving each other hand jobs".

I want Multibit, but the darn exchange rate means I can't afford a bifrost. I was considering a Modious, but Mike has me convinced.

I'm still dreaming of Modi Multibit with Unison and Gadget (if not too pricey)
I agree @Plautus001
It was great to see Mike.
I watched the YouTube version today.
He is a fascinating guy, who makes light of his significant contribution to audio.
I love the fact that he has never lost sight of what audio is all about; reproducing music.
Given the choice, I’d listen to live music every night, but failing that, Schiit helps to make a lot of recordings come alive at home. :beyersmile:
Hope you stay well Mike.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #71,577 of 155,078
I have tried watching the replay of the Mike Moffatt Q&A from yesterday on the u-toob and the f-book, and the video is running at like 2-4 frames per second, however the audio seems mostly OK. Tried two different PCs, same issue. Is it working OK for you guys stateside? Maybe it's still buffering to the down under interweb

Just had a look on YouTube. Same thing you describe.

JC

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #71,578 of 155,078
To those who think hardware is hard and software is easy, there are lessons to be learned from the Roon 1.8 upgrade.

From users complaining it wasn't available at 900 am on the dot on the release day, it went fo a full on revolt from some users about the upgrade not working, lost functionality and changes to the user interface.

Nothing is ever easy, is it.
Internet Forum Users are the ones in "revolt," I assume? The sell-important rabble who make a lot of web noise. Those guys (and they are almost always guys) need to stop polluting my bandwidth and maybe grow up a little.

The Roon 1.8 upgrade (and the small patch issued the next day) both installed easily and worked seamlessly on my network.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #71,579 of 155,078
@Timster
I watched it on YouTube today.
The audio was slightly out of sync with the video, but after a couple of beers, I no longer noticed.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #71,580 of 155,078
Same here. Seems like the issue may have been with slow upload speeds on Schiit's end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back