Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 25, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #70,697 of 150,904
Any idea why the line waiting for the Unison upgrade for a Gungnir isn't moving at all?
I think Jason mentioned some people being out for medical things, so I assume that’s slowing it down. I’m at 24/51 now. Was in the mid 30s when I submitted.
At least this way I can still keep using Gen5 while the queue goes down.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #70,698 of 150,904
Any idea why the line waiting for the Unison upgrade for a Gungnir isn't moving at all?

Jason had said (in the recent chapter entitled S.N.A.F.U or something similar) one of their repair techs was still out sick (unknown illness, but not COVID) :thermometer_face: Hope he/she gets better.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #70,699 of 150,904
I’m slowly putting together a listening room, which ideally I’d like to power with some Schiit.

The speakers that are perfect for my setup are a bit quiet (85db, 6ohm, 100W), and I’m wondering what Schiit would work.

I assume Vidar in mono or stereo is obviously fine, although I do wonder if having that much extra power in mono means I would only ever be able to use a tiny fraction of the volume knob.

And I assume stereo Aegir is underpowered. But I’m happy to be educated to the contrary.

What about Ragnarok and mono Aegirs? They wouldn’t have massive headroom, but lots of people seem to think that’s overrated. (Though fewer than those who say there’s no such thing as overpowered.)

So far I think my leading amp contender is the Monolith 2 channel. I’m hoping Schiit’s promised 2021 amp gives me more to think about.

Depends a lot on the type of music you listen to. The volume you listen at, and the size of your listening room. I've got Harbeths rated at 87db, and 6 ohm. I'm listening in the near field, and seldom exceed 80db at the listening position. I have one Vidar and two Aegir amps. Paired with a Freya, either of the amps in stereo configuration works fine. I added the second Aegir to see if I could hear any improvement in using monoblocks. The monoblocks seem to have a blacker background.

If I did it again, I go for the Freya and Aegir monoblocks.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #70,700 of 150,904
I think Jason mentioned some people being out for medical things, so I assume that’s slowing it down. I’m at 24/51 now. Was in the mid 30s when I submitted.
At least this way I can still keep using Gen5 while the queue goes down.
That is how I was looking at it but my Eitr stopped working. So, I am down to Gen2 now. I am sitting at 39 of 51 in the line. I was at 42, 15 days ago.

I am kinda dreading mailing my Gungnir off, though.

I'm wondering if it would just be faster & easier to send the EITR in for repair.

I'll call Schiit tomorrow.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #70,701 of 150,904
That is how I was looking at it but my Eitr stopped working. So, I am down to Gen2 now. I am sitting at 39 of 51 in the line. I was at 42, 15 days ago.

I am kinda dreading mailing my Gungnir off, though.

I'm wondering if it would just be faster & easier to send the EITR in for repair.

I'll call Schiit tomorrow.
you could just grab any old usb to spdif converter off Amazon for <100. Even though this has a DAC, you can bypass it and just run the coax out into the Gumby
https://www.amazon.com/Topping-D10-ES9018K2M-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B07T6XX8VX

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #70,702 of 150,904
I currently have Yggy—->Freya—->Mono Vidars. I just got a Mjolnir 2. What is the best way to move the MJ2 into the chain? Should I incorporate it separately via SE from the Yggy or fit it in front or back of the Freya with balanced?
Plug the Freya and Mjolnir into a balanced switcher and go out to Yggdrasil.
Something like this.
1611593610402.png

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #70,705 of 150,904
Thanks for this and for all the others who gave their assistance. I have spent a lot of money to get a great sound and didn't want to make a stupid decision.
FYI there is no such thing as a stupid decision when it comes to audio systems. There are only things that work out and thangs that don't. If something does not work out all you've done is spent money. It's not life and death. :)

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #70,706 of 150,904
I should also say a HUGE thank you to Schiit and all the wonderful people on here who share and experiment. Two years ago I was simply shopping for an amplifier that would adequately power my Dahlquist DQ-10s when I found this forum. That led me to the Vidars because of all the great reviews, a killer price, and the fact that it was made in California. I really didn't set out to make my entire set up completely Schiitty but now I'm just an Urd away from my complete system. I am really NOT a headphone person but working (teaching for me) from home has made it more of a necessity. The MJ2, even just listening to it unbalanced so far with stock tubes, has been a wonderful experience. It may be my second favorite product from Schiit (My favorite has to be Yggy). I know Jason said it wasn't selling like crazy but kudos to him and the team for really providing something that is soooooo fun and a brilliant listen.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #70,707 of 150,904
I read today that Neil Young ( one of my music heroes) has strongly criticised TIDAL and removed his whole catalogue from their platform.
He, like many in the audio industry, thinks that MQA is a complete scam.
I don't think Mike Moffat is a fan either :beyersmile:
I wouldn't touch TIDAL with a barge pole.
Here is the article:
NYA Times Contrarian (neilyoungarchives.com)

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #70,708 of 150,904
Plug the Freya and Mjolnir into a balanced switcher and go out to Yggdrasil.
Something like this.
1611593610402.png
I would love to have one, but would Freya + be overkill for just balanced switching capability for the DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back