Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #70,667 of 145,767
For me, I want to use my music outside of Roon - for example when I'm traveling) and use the same files tec. I do that by adding pointers in Plex to the same set of files on the NAS as used by Roon. Then I can use PLexAmp (Thanks @roygbiv6) to stream to e.g. the car.
I see putting music on the ROCK as having it siloed. Silos are bad. :wink:
YMMV
I just have two copies. that way one that I use to sync to DAPs, USB stick for car, etc, and one that just sits in Roon. I haven't yet tried to stream from my own collection to remote devices, since I just have a big enough µSD card in every device to hold everything

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #70,668 of 145,767
I have a question for those here who are smarter than me...

I currently have Yggy—->Freya—->Mono Vidars. I just got a Mjolnir 2. What is the best way to move the MJ2 into the chain? Should I incorporate it separately via SE from the Yggy or fit it in front or back of the Freya with balanced?
For my Mjolnir 1, I just split the balanced out from Yggy to the Freya S and Mjolnir. I can detect no difference from the splitter.
One like this, I think I got mine from Monoprice:
1611516881325.png

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #70,669 of 145,767
I leave the playlist to play other music and want to go back to the playlist later on without "resetting" the playlist.
I can't pause a playlist, like put it in the background, and come back to it in it's last status.
So I have playlist runnng for background music. Now I want to go to individual tracks (not on this list) and come back to the playlist later or the next day.
I may even have closed Roon. No way the software has any recollection where I left off. The player I was referring to earlier did all that.
This is true. Roon is limited in this way for sure.

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #70,670 of 145,767
For my Mjolnir 1, I just split the balanced out from Yggy to the Freya S and Mjolnir. I can detect no difference from the splitter.
One like this, I think I got mine from Monoprice:
1611516881325.png
I did the same thing from my Yggdrasil to two amps. I didn't notice a difference. I did swap the splitter in and out to see if I could hear a difference. I also emailed Schiit about it, a splitter was their recommendation as well.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #70,672 of 145,767
I have a question for those here who are smarter than me...

I currently have Yggy—->Freya—->Mono Vidars. I just got a Mjolnir 2. What is the best way to move the MJ2 into the chain? Should I incorporate it separately via SE from the Yggy or fit it in front or back of the Freya with balanced?

yes, +1 from the other posts about the XLR Y adapters being the way to go.

consider having custom made, or searching for, splitters Y with the tails long enough to go direct from an output (yggy) to the inputs on MJ2 and Freya. Making the tails long enough would eliminate the need for additional xlr extenders/ gender changers. For cable construction two conductor plus shield (e.g. mogami 2549) (instead shielded of quad balanced wire, e.g. mogami 2534) will have less capacitance and should be fine (presumably the run is a few feet between yggy, MJ2, and Freya)

on the Y splitter ends, you want one female XLR (socket), and two XLR male (plug with pins) connectors (I think the sample pic has it backwards)

for maximum sound quality (nervosa???) turn down the volume on the device not in use if powered off (presumably, since they are all tube based, you would only power up devices as necessary, except for the yggy of course which would be on 24/7)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #70,674 of 145,767
yes, +1 from the other posts about the XLR Y adapters being the way to go.

consider having custom made, or searching for, splitters Y with the tails long enough to go direct from an output (yggy) to the inputs on MJ2 and Freya. Making the tails long enough would eliminate the need for additional xlr extenders/ gender changers. For cable construction two conductor plus shield (e.g. mogami 2549) (instead shielded of quad balanced wire, e.g. mogami 2534) will have less capacitance and should be fine (presumably the run is a few feet between yggy, MJ2, and Freya)

on the Y splitter ends, you want one female XLR (socket), and two XLR male (plug with pins) connectors (I think the sample pic has it backwards)

for maximum sound quality (nervosa???) turn down the volume on the device not in use if powered off (presumably, since they are all tube based, you would only power up devices as necessary, except for the yggy of course which would be on 24/7)
Good choices in wire. Because of working from home I do not have much chance to help with such cables. I tend to stay busy though, something I finished today. I am listening to a variety of 6sn7 and 6080 compatibles with a Gungnir in the chain. Headphones of choice, Focal Utopias.

Lacewood 8.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #70,675 of 145,767
Are there any advantages for a NUC with Roon Rock over a Mac Mini M1?
Roon does not yet run native on M1, it's emulated. According to Roon forum reports, it seems to work, but there are some repeated crash reports as well. You might want to wait until Roon releases an M1-native version.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #70,676 of 145,767
Is there any big advantage to putting the files on a NAS, vs on an SSD on the Mac Mini Core?
No, on the contrary. Roon with music files on a NAS is way less responsive. My approach is to have music files on an SSD in the Roon core, and mirror them on a NAS for redundancy/backup.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #70,677 of 145,767
I just have two copies. that way one that I use to sync to DAPs, USB stick for car, etc, and one that just sits in Roon. I haven't yet tried to stream from my own collection to remote devices, since I just have a big enough µSD card in every device to hold everything

Keeping duplicates synced is a PITA. Especially if you do things such as updating metadata.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #70,678 of 145,767
I suspect this would be true if the Roon core was communicating with the NAS over wi-fi which is how I was set up for awhile.
You won't have dropouts if wired, but you'll have a slower interface and a really annoying lack of immediate update when adding new music. My local collection fits into a 2TB SSD, and with 4TB Samsung SATA SSD, which my core(s) have now, I have plenty of space to grow.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #70,680 of 145,767
Keeping duplicates synced is a PITA. Especially if you do things such as updating metadata.
I recommend Syncthing for those who are confident enough to tinker with system configurations. I have it running on several Linux servers and a Synology NAS in two different locations. I carry one fanless Roon server between the two locations, and everything else is kept in sync with it on both locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back