Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #66,737 of 150,426
Hard to improve Valhalla 2 without adding a bunch of cost. Or hybridizing. And then what's the point? It's supposed to be an affordable pure tube amp.

I do love my Valhalla 2 and I agree that it is nice to have an affordable pure tube amp. A less affordable more impressive one could also fill a nice niche, though 10 tubes... I just bought eight for my integrated tube amp and that cost a pretty penny without doing fancy schmancy NOS tubes.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #66,738 of 150,426
I think that I would have to get one just on principle

I’m a bit wary about going all-in with tubes, but that amp sounds so crazy I might get one.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #66,741 of 150,426
I'm Portuguese, I understand why Port is so loved, but I struggle with really connecting with fortified wine. OTOH, the wonderful flinty, dark Douro reds that Port is based on are my favorite everyday wines.

Completely agree ... one of many that I enjoy, at a reasonable price ...

1605127236186.png

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #66,742 of 150,426
How about an insane 10-tube all-tube headphone amp? It's something I'm playing around with. Of course, it would be about 10x the price of a Vali 2+. And it currently isn't ready for prime time (too much hummmmmmmmm...but fixable.) Still not sure I want to bring it to production.

Hard to improve Valhalla 2 without adding a bunch of cost. Or hybridizing. And then what's the point? It's supposed to be an affordable pure tube amp.

Saving for the amp has started now. I've already queued up my attorney for a potential bankruptcy due to cost of rolling matched pair with matched octet tubes. :D

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #66,744 of 150,426
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #66,745 of 150,426
I have just agreed to buy a Mjolnir 2 after a lot of research, including this thread, and want to test my understanding. It think its of general interest because there is so much less online discussion about the Mjolnir 2 vs the other headphone amps, but it is an interesting part of the Schiit lineup and story.

As described here, Mjolnir 2 was a radical redesign of Mjolnir. The biggest change was the switch from solid state design to tube design. Schiit decided to do something funky at the same time and launched the LIIST solid-state 'tubes' which work in the Mjolnir 2 and other Schiit tube amps. Schiit marketed the bundle as providing the best of both worlds.

A few years down the line, Mjolnir 2 is still in the lineup as the end-game headphone amp. LIIST seem to be reviewed as decent, but not vastly better than tubes and were ultimately discontinued because of the complexity of manufacturing. For someone new coming in it can be condfusing to see reviews of the Mjolnir 2 that are based around it's capabilities as a solid-state amp, and which don't place it with the lineup of other Schiit headphone amps and modular amps. It seems Mjolnir 2 used to be differentiated as the balanced amp with tons of power, but it now has to share the stage with Magnius. It seems that Mjolnir 2 used to stand way ahead as the flagship tube amp, but it now has to share the stage with the Lyr 3 and its newer design including Continuity.

In a recent online discussion, it seemed like Jason was suggesting the sheer size and heat output of Mjolnir were also hurdles to its popularity.

Many people who own the Mjolnir 2 love it. I hope that's my experience too.
I'm jealous. 1 Mjolnir = (Asgard 2) + (Valhalla 2) + (a full-on balanced circuit) . That's nice piece of kit. And you found some LIIST plug-ins?! Holy crap. Those are unicorn rare (I'm still hoping a few show up in the Schit warehouse... propping up a pallet that avoided their warehouse flood) Bravo, @evanescent . :)

unicorn-image-from-deamicus-dot-com-2020.jpeg

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #66,746 of 150,426
schiit is ten years old, so 10-tube amplifier. just 2 matched quads of 6N6P (the taller ones in the back two rows), 1 matched pair 6922/ 6DJ8 / 6BZ7 / ECC88.
Freya / Yggy width chassis, and depth likely much deeper than Freya-- those 6N6Ps run warm.

(obviously, @bcowen has expressed interest in alpha / beta testing, esp with his stash of matched quads from Area 51)

@Jason Stoddard for a name, how about 'tiu' the Norse word for ten?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #66,747 of 150,426
How about an insane 10-tube all-tube headphone amp? It's something I'm playing around with. Of course, it would be about 10x the price of a Vali 2+. And it currently isn't ready for prime time (too much hummmmmmmmm...but fixable.) Still not sure I want to bring it to production.

If you come out with a transformer output tube amp similar to Woo Audio's WA22, I'd sign up quick!

You've already got hybrids down, However; Valhalla could use a warm variant IMO. I frankenstein'ed my Little Dot MK IV to use C3gS and 6SN7 and it sounds amazing with my HD650's fed from the pre-out of my Lyr2.

You should also do a tube-based Mani!

Alright, enough of me telling you how to run your company! Keep it up!

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #66,748 of 150,426
If you come out with a transformer output tube amp similar to Woo Audio's WA22, I'd sign up quick!

You've already got hybrids down, However; Valhalla could use a warm variant IMO. I frankenstein'ed my Little Dot MK IV to use C3gS and 6SN7 and it sounds amazing with my HD650's fed from the pre-out of my Lyr2.

You should also do a tube-based Mani!

Alright, enough of me telling you how to run your company! Keep it up!

your avatar looks like the world's tiniest game of "operation"

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #66,749 of 150,426

IMG_0899.jpeg

WANT! Please open pre-order list, so I know what I'm giving me for Christmas.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #66,750 of 150,426

IMG_0899.jpeg

WANT! Please open pre-order list, so I know what I'm giving me for Christmas.

I'd be interested in an all-tube amp that could drive the RAAL, but maybe that's too much current to ask a tube for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back