Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 24, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #66,121 of 150,436
I agree. Dynaudios need a lot of power.

All Tekton speakers are high efficiency, and sound awesome for their respective prices from everything I've read. Any Tekton is probably a good choice with an Aegir, even better with Aegir monoblocks if you're thinking about doing that down the road.

I know Tekton's Double Impact is their most popular model, and it's well within SnowRang3r 's budget
Double Impacts in a condo. Don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or bow to them...

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #66,122 of 150,436
Oct 24, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #66,123 of 150,436
Had to think about your comment. And then I realized your duty. I mean this sincerely... it was operators like you (and on the Soviet side) who held the nuclear nightmare in check. As a teenager in the 1980s I had to believe our soldiers kept the cold war from going hot. I mean it. Thank you.
Those were different, twitchy times. Thank God for cooler heads on both sides of the wall... We were happy just to babysit.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #66,124 of 150,436
many get it wrong! When the met guys quote wind velocity and they say xx mph it gets my goat.

But as Ms Jody says, there aren't as many curmudgeons with as much practice as you..........
Cop pull me over for “exhibition of speed“ once. I never exceeded the speed limit, but the old Chrysler 383 got me to that limit pretty fast. We laughed about acceleration vs speed. Velocity’s kinda in the middle, IIRC.

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #66,126 of 150,436
@SnowRang3r i looked at the FAQ for the LS50W, and there is a built-in DSP along with the built-in amplifiers. The settings, including the amount of bass, can be adjusted from an app via wireless. At low volumes, you may need to increase the level of bass to compensate for the human hearing curves (fletcher-munson???). If you do add a sub, you should set the LS50W settings to indicate a sub is connected, as this will correctly route the lowest bass signals to the RCA subwoofer out connector, and provide additional headroom for the LS50W's mid-woofer. On the sub itself, use the LFE input and/or set its low-pass crossover to the max freq in order to minimize phase shifts at the crossover.

Regarding single vs dual subs, some humans (don't know exactly what the split is) can hear directionality of bass while others can't. YMMV.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #66,127 of 150,436
Oh yea, during the Schiit Q&A, there was a question about the CD transport that Jason wasn't sure about (I believe). Some one asked if the transport would support Indices; Index points? Index points are in the CD TOC PQ Subcodes. They're similar to Track ID's, which signify a Track Start and End (Pause) Points. But an Index Point to set to correspond to a movement change within the Track. Classical music symphonies used Index Points for that reason. But to work, the Indices have to be accessible by the CD player, otherwise you can't skip to the desired Index Point. Not all do. My old Denon DCD-1520 allowed you to access Index Points. It displayed them too, to let you know they were there.

In theory, a CD could be mastered for up to 99 Tracks. Each Track could also contain 99 Indices. Lot's of work to encode that many PQ Subcode Track ID's! I never had to, but a coworker had a master tape with 500 total Track/Index ID's!
Index points are a useful feature of the CD specification, but unfortunately it didn't catch on with the record labels. Some early CD releases had index points, but by about 1990 I stopped seeing index points in new CD releases. After CDs no longer had index points, it was logical for manufacturers to remove index controls from CD players.

When I purchased the original CD release of Glenn Gould's 1981 Goldberg Variations, it consisted of a single 51 minute track with 32 index points (one for each variation). Later they changed the CD release to 32 individual tracks. This isn't so bad for the Goldberg Variations, but some record labels have gone to the terrible practice of splitting long symphony movements (e.g. Mahler) into multiple tracks. This doesn't make sense musically and causes breaks during playback if the system doesn't support gapless playback between tracks (such as Chromecast and earlier versions of Tidal and Qobuz). Index points would have been a perfect solution to keep the music together in a track yet provide access points within the track. Some file formats such as FLAC actually support index points but unfortunately nobody is utilizing the feature.

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #66,128 of 150,436
Regarding single vs dual subs, some humans (don't know exactly what the split is) can hear directionality of bass while others can't.
That is not the main purpose of using more than one sub. At low frequencies, room nodes develop where the strength of the bass becomes uneven at different locations in the room. Dual subs even out the bass response.

Oct 25, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #66,129 of 150,436
Seems like we got a few Tekton fan's in the house. I've seen the rave reviews but after showing the other half she say's those aren't going in the living room :frowning2: haha

Also looking at how low the Heresy IV's sit probably going to rule them out, we have an ottoman that matches our couches and could get in the way the Heresy's sit so low. I know some people take off the angled platform and put them on stands but that seems like a lot of work for speakers that are $4,400CAD...

Still looking at the Klipsch Forte III's though and I reached out to Zu Audio with an email to go over their lineup a bit more detail. Seems like they put a big focus on tone/timbre/timing/efficiency but then let FR go a little wonky, but also seems like the people that have them really love them. Stereophile has good 20min interview with Zu's owner Sean Casey on YouTube that's worth a look.

As far as what the other half does like it's Forte III (grills on) > Zu (no grills but walnut finish which adds a few $) > Forte III (grills off). Won't let that impact the final choice too much as she already got to rule out one :wink:

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #66,130 of 150,436
Oh yea, during the Schiit Q&A, there was a question about the CD transport that Jason wasn't sure about (I believe). Some one asked if the transport would support Indices; Index points? Index points are in the CD TOC PQ Subcodes. They're similar to Track ID's, which signify a Track Start and End (Pause) Points. But an Index Point to set to correspond to a movement change within the Track. Classical music symphonies used Index Points for that reason. But to work, the Indices have to be accessible by the CD player, otherwise you can't skip to the desired Index Point. Not all do. My old Denon DCD-1520 allowed you to access Index Points. It displayed them too, to let you know they were there.

In theory, a CD could be mastered for up to 99 Tracks. Each Track could also contain 99 Indices. Lot's of work to encode that many PQ Subcode Track ID's! I never had to, but a coworker had a master tape with 500 total Track/Index ID's!
Learned something new here. Thanks for that.
But you just pushed back the release of the Schiit transport by another few months as they now have to implement this feature too.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #66,131 of 150,436
1603617053622.png

Finally, It may play this properly.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #66,132 of 150,436
Learned something new here. Thanks for that.
But you just pushed back the release of the Schiit transport by another few months as they now have to implement this feature too.

maybe a month or two, maybe less to add this, provided they have next track / prev track functions already implemented. i remember the old philips (magnavox) players all had the index controls on front panel and on the remotes as well.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #66,133 of 150,436
Seems like we got a few Tekton fan's in the house. I've seen the rave reviews but after showing the other half she say's those aren't going in the living room :frowning2: haha

I showed my girlfriend a pair of Focal Kanta N2’s, and she said absolutely not. Luckily she is still open to the idea of Elac Adante AF-61’s or Dynaudio Contour 30i’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back