Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 25, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #66,136 of 151,659
Not a Tekton fan here. I have heard a couple of his designs and they do not sound right ot me. To each his own. There are many great sounding high-efficiency speakers out there, limited only by your budget.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #66,137 of 151,659
I showed my girlfriend a pair of Focal Kanta N2’s, and she said absolutely not. Luckily she is still open to the idea of Elac Adante AF-61’s or Dynaudio Contour 30i’s.
The Adantes are no longer made, but if you like Elac check the Vela line. Beautiful aesthetically, beautiful audio.

Oct 25, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #66,138 of 151,659
Close, but I'm pretty sure that Schiit would pass along the savings from not having to have 2 cases. :wink:
I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't in two cases. :)

Oct 25, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #66,139 of 151,659
The weakest bourbon I have in the house right now is old forester 86 (86 proof), most of my bourbon is 100 proof or higher. I've ditched soda and sip everything neat, at room temp, or let the warmth from my hand heat the glass up.

Because all of my scotch is 80 proof, its starting to taste watered down, and ive not had much success finding higher proof scotch that my pocket book is comfortable with.
You are just drinking the wrong Scotch. I recommend trying Aberlour A’bunadh.

Oct 25, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #66,141 of 151,659
The Transport price of $1300ish concerns me. I do have Unison on my Gumby, but at $1300 I'd probably spring for one of the Yggy GS if they still are out.
The price doesn't 'concern' me, but shopping around their site I see a nice turntable with a great looking MC cartridge (I'd rather have the cheaper MM Grado black choice too grr) .... and for the $300 savings I could buy 10-20 new records ... on the other hand, a 12" laptop and a HEL simplifies things ... Agree that the transport into my Mimby seems odd to people but they haven't heard the Mimby.

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #66,142 of 151,659
The Adantes are no longer made, but if you like Elac check the Vela line. Beautiful aesthetically, beautiful audio.

There are plenty of Adantes still on the market here, but I'll check the Velas out too. There are some other speakers I'm also interested in. I'll need to start making auditions when the time for bigger speakers comes.

The Velas do look pretty though, and I'm sure it would be easy to convince my girlfriend to accept them into the house.

Oct 25, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #66,144 of 151,659
Pah! Real men used line printers........ (and/or Teletypes) :)
I use a fountain pen. I have a quill and some ink on the way from Amazon Prime...

Seems like we got a few Tekton fan's in the house. I've seen the rave reviews but after showing the other half she say's those aren't going in the living room :frowning2: haha

Also looking at how low the Heresy IV's sit probably going to rule them out, we have an ottoman that matches our couches and could get in the way the Heresy's sit so low. I know some people take off the angled platform and put them on stands but that seems like a lot of work for speakers that are $4,400CAD...

Still looking at the Klipsch Forte III's though and I reached out to Zu Audio with an email to go over their lineup a bit more detail. Seems like they put a big focus on tone/timbre/timing/efficiency but then let FR go a little wonky, but also seems like the people that have them really love them. Stereophile has good 20min interview with Zu's owner Sean Casey on YouTube that's worth a look.

As far as what the other half does like it's Forte III (grills on) > Zu (no grills but walnut finish which adds a few $) > Forte III (grills off). Won't let that impact the final choice too much as she already got to rule out one :wink:
Klipsch used to offer some finish-matched wedges for the Heresy. That way their baffles were tilted up a bit and would "fire" more directly at a seating position. Perhaps those are still available. I like the Forte as well. I've always thought the Cornwalls looked ungainly, but the Belle were cool with that huge bass "port".

I showed my girlfriend a pair of Focal Kanta N2’s, and she said absolutely not. Luckily she is still open to the idea of Elac Adante AF-61’s or Dynaudio Contour 30i’s.
I think you should tell your girl friend she has no say in what speakers go in your living room until she puts a ring on your finger.

Oct 25, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #66,145 of 151,659
Oct 25, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #66,146 of 151,659
Oh yea, during the Schiit Q&A, there was a question about the CD transport that Jason wasn't sure about (I believe). Some one asked if the transport would support Indices; Index points? Index points are in the CD TOC PQ Subcodes. They're similar to Track ID's, which signify a Track Start and End (Pause) Points. But an Index Point to set to correspond to a movement change within the Track. Classical music symphonies used Index Points for that reason. But to work, the Indices have to be accessible by the CD player, otherwise you can't skip to the desired Index Point. Not all do. My old Denon DCD-1520 allowed you to access Index Points. It displayed them too, to let you know they were there.

In theory, a CD could be mastered for up to 99 Tracks. Each Track could also contain 99 Indices. Lot's of work to encode that many PQ Subcode Track ID's! I never had to, but a coworker had a master tape with 500 total Track/Index ID's!

I started buying CDs before I had anything to play them on - probably built up a library of a dozen on-sale disks.

Our local liquidation world had a sale of a premium player at $300 for a usual msrp of $800, and I rode out on my '76 Bonneville to buy one, strapping the huge box to the back of my seat for a precarious trip home.

It was a premium product* and supported indeces, but what I've missed more on every player since was that the display showed elapsed track time AND remaining time at the same time. I djed a lot of parties back then, and it was really helpful to know how long I had left to pick and queue up the next song on the turntable.

I am thumbs up on the transport supporting indeces, but I'd REALLY like to be able to see elapsed and remaining time displayed concurrently.

*No idea what brand, except it was one of the Japanese brands that got retired, like Sansui. Built like a tank featuring physical separation in the case with analog, digital, and power supplies all in their own boxed enclave.

Oct 25, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #66,148 of 151,659
So the next logical step is for Schiit to combine the cd transport and Yggdrasil into a Multibit CD player. I wonder how much that would go for.

Not really that logical for a company that has repeatedly stated they prefer separates and manufactures a broad range of DACs to plug your transport into.

OTOH v2 might include a slot for one of the plug-in DACs.

Oct 25, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #66,149 of 151,659
Does it have a strong peat tone?
No, it's more on the sweet side. My favorite Aberlour is their 16 yr single malt. I recommended the A'bunadh only because it is cask strength (about 70%) for the person who said Scotch didn't have enough alcohol... :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #66,150 of 151,659
I think you should tell your girl friend she has no say in what speakers go in your living room until she puts a ring on your finger.

We live together and the speakers are coming to the house we buy together, otherwise there wouldn’t be a discussion about it.

She gets to choose interior design, furnitures and such. I get to choose electronics, but she has veto-right if it’s not visually appealing to her. If there’s room for a man cave, she won’t have any power there. Works for the both of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back