Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 23, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #66,046 of 150,813
Re: Tektronix Oscilloscopes

Need to fire up my dad's old school tektronix (was dated even back then). It's loaded with tubes and built with those ceramic strips like the vid, also has a few modules with tubes (didn't let him sell it/throw it out).
A few years ago turned it on for a few hours– to let the capacitors situate themselves. It has a very distinct smell with all the glowing tubes.
I'll try to measure some i2s sometime haha!!! Wonder how fast it can go MHz-wise.

Ahhhh nothing finer than the smell of hot dust on tubes in the morning! :confounded:

It's funny, when we actually had a "fast" scope to look at the laser output, we said "We can't show the customer this! They'll think there's a problem with the laser! We need to keep using the slow scope and show nice, smooth profiles!" Of course nowadays, we just throttle down the bandwidth to make them smooth. Not really, most customers don't get shots of the pulsewidth trace. They wouldn't understand them anyway.

Oct 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #66,047 of 150,813
So surprised how many people rcommend a sub in a 2 channel system and say it makes improvements. For me there is no better and faster way to totally ruin a good sound system than adding sub(s) or (super) tweeters. Timing coherence goes 100% out of the window the moment you do this.
It depends on how it's done, but yes a poorly integrated subwoofer can destroy the sound of good main speakers. A properly implemented one, however... the problem is that too many people think they can just buy one and stick it into their system. Setup is critical and can take a long time to get right.

Oct 23, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #66,048 of 150,813
Ahhhh nothing finer than the smell of hot dust on tubes in the morning! :confounded:

LOL! Ranks right up there with solder fumes and new car smell. :sweat_smile: Oh, and bacon.

Oct 23, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #66,050 of 150,813
That brings back memories, as I used to work for Nimbus Records, running the mastering CD cutting lathes. You had to adjust pitch and velocity for every master tape, depending on length. We had a bunch of audiophile labels too, as we advertised and offered 1X cutting. Many felt that 1X cutting sounded better. :)

I think you mean speed. Velocity is a vector!!!

Oct 23, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #66,052 of 150,813
I agree. Dynaudios need a lot of power.

All Tekton speakers are high efficiency, and sound awesome for their respective prices from everything I've read. Any Tekton is probably a good choice with an Aegir, even better with Aegir monoblocks if you're thinking about doing that down the road.

I know Tekton's Double Impact is their most popular model, and it's well within SnowRang3r 's budget
I love the Freya+ > Vidar > DI chain and it is impressive. BUT the DIs are big. And I do mean big.

Oct 23, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #66,053 of 150,813
It's a open concept living + dining + kitchen (I know not ideal for music but it's what I got for now), around 478sq-ft from what I can see on the blueprints.

Music is mostly classic rock and EDM but a bit of everything. Tonal preferences, are pretty much in line with my Focal Clear's, maybe a bit more bass if I had to be picky (but could also just be me missing the physical impact of speakers).

As mentioned I currently have the KEF LS50 so metal dome tweeters don't seem to bother me as they do some. I can do 2-3ft away from the wall, any more and I'm afraid the future wife will go crazy...

Seems like from everyone else's posts I was on the right track with Klipsch and Zu. I forgot about Tekton but definitly will take a look at their lineup as well!
I run my setup (see earlier post) in a living dining kitchen space that is a little bigger than yours and it works well.

Oct 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #66,057 of 150,813
It depends on how it's done, but yes a poorly integrated subwoofer can destroy the sound of good main speakers. A properly implemented one, however... the problem is that too many people think they can just buy one and stick it into their system. Setup is critical and can take a long time to get right.
YES. This x1000

What about mono Aegirs? I have a small room (13x14 foot). Looking for some bookshelf speakers. Upgrade from my Klipsch RP-160m.
Dual Aegirs for LS50s? Idk, Aegir mono is rated at 80wpc into 8 ohms, but with no rating mono rating at 4ohms. Yes the LS50 is rated nominal 8 ohms, but dips as low as 3.2 ohms.

The dual Aegirs could work, but if it were me I think I'd go with a single Vidar over dual Aegirs for LS50s. If you have the credit to swing it, it would be cool to buy a Vidar and 2 Aegirs at once, and try it both ways. See which you like best, and return the losing amp(s) within the return window. Or resell it. And by all means, report back to us here and let us know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #66,058 of 150,813

Agreed, and it's important that the speed of the subwoofer be in the same league as the main speakers, and the crossover point and slopes are critical too. And the placement of the sub is super critical. With two subs placement becomes less critical.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #66,060 of 150,813
Agreed, and it's important that the speed of the subwoofer be in the same league as the main speakers, and the crossover point and slopes are critical too. And the placement of the sub is super critical. With two subs placement becomes less critical.
Also realize that "speed" is not a technical criteria for speakers. What is perceived as "speed" is actually created by transient response and group-delay in the room. But yes, achieving a seamless integration of subwoofer with stereo speakers requires a lot more work than it does for home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back