Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #66,031 of 149,762
Oct 22, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #66,032 of 149,762
Have KEF LS50s right now and I like them but I find I’m always turning it up.
I used to own LS50s, they are excellent in a small room, but they are rather inefficient so they need lots of power to deliver the goods, not what Aegir is designed for,

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #66,033 of 149,762
As mentioned I currently have the KEF LS50 so metal dome tweeters don't seem to bother me as they do some. I can do 2-3ft away from the wall, any more and I'm afraid the future wife will go crazy...
Or you could forget about Aegir and instead go for Vidar or Ragnarok 2. It's pretty hard to do better than LS50s (or their big brothers KEF Reference 1s) with a suitably powered amp unless you go into $$$ stratosphere.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #66,034 of 149,762
Or you could forget about Aegir and instead go for Vidar or Ragnarok 2. It's pretty hard to do better than LS50s (or their big brothers KEF Reference 1s) with a suitably powered amp unless you go into $$$ stratosphere.
Depends on what you’re after. They’re excellent small speakers with great imaging, but they don’t defy the laws of physics. They can’t go super low, and they sound like small speakers relative to almost any good floorstander.

I definitely agree that LS50s would be way underpowered with an Aegir though.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #66,035 of 149,762
What about mono Aegirs? I have a small room (13x14 foot). Looking for some bookshelf speakers. Upgrade from my Klipsch RP-160m.

Oct 23, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #66,036 of 149,762
what about LS50 + some subs? if the system winds up with one speaker in a corner (which will increase the bass resonance / room gain) a single sub (like SVS SB2000) placed closer to the inboard speaker may suffice. LS50 has the Uni-Q alignment with tweeter and mid-bass axes coincident for better imaging.

besides the Aegir amp, what is the source / pre-amp config?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I have the LS50w (self powered). It does have a SW out but only 1. So I don't have the Aegir or any pre-amp yet.

Do you really think adding a sub would add the enjoyment at lower volumes? I think part of it too is me wanting more options to tinker and change with with a powered monitor doesn't really provide.

Yes if I was strictly talking about the LS50s I'd probably go Vidar, but I have the LS50w's which have 30w class AB for the tweeter and 200w class D for the mid-bass (per speaker. So 460w total) it clearly has enough power to play. But like I said they don't seem to be super engaging at low volumes, unsure if it's just the dynamics are lower at low volumes or if FR is actually changing.

I think that's part of my thinking going with Aegir or 2x + highly effiecent speakers. Is A) I gain the ability to make changes via seperates B) All the reviews of very sensitive/dynamic speaker bring up about how they play good at low volumes which is what I'm looking for.

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #66,038 of 149,762
Nice review. I ordered his suggested upgrades. Now on to make a final cartridge decision. Soundsmith?
Do like @Baldr Mike and go for the London Decca, nothing better IMHO. Special setting available for this cart on the Mani. (and most likely also on a future new superduper phono stage from Schiit). If you want to go for Soundsmith pricing range you can have the reference version. Man how I would love to hear that in my setup.
London Decca Reference

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #66,039 of 149,762
Re: Tektronix Oscilloscopes

Need to fire up my dad's old school tektronix (was dated even back then). It's loaded with tubes and built with those ceramic strips like the vid, also has a few modules with tubes (didn't let him sell it/throw it out).
A few years ago turned it on for a few hours– to let the capacitors situate themselves. It has a very distinct smell with all the glowing tubes.
I'll try to measure some i2s sometime haha!!! Wonder how fast it can go MHz-wise.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #66,040 of 149,762

As an owner of the KEF Reference 3s I couldn't agree more! Especially as I snagged a great discount for a discontinued finish :grin:.

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #66,041 of 149,762
Do like @Baldr Mike and go for the London Decca, nothing better IMHO. Special setting available for this cart on the Mani. (and most likely also on a future new superduper phono stage from Schiit). If you want to go for Soundsmith pricing range you can have the reference version. Man how I would love to hear that in my setup.
London Decca Reference

Of the dozens of cartridges I owned during my vinyl years (1970 to 2004) the Decca was the one that really brought my LP's to life, especially Decca's own records. But I spun my last LP in 2004 and have not heard any LP playback systems since then.

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #66,042 of 149,762
So surprised how many people rcommend a sub in a 2 channel system and say it makes improvements. For me there is no better and faster way to totally ruin a good sound system than adding sub(s) or (super) tweeters. Timing coherence goes 100% out of the window the moment you do this.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #66,043 of 149,762
London Decca Reference

Heard a Decca years ago on a tricked out Linn setup. Awesome dynamics!

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #66,044 of 149,762
Nice review. I ordered his suggested upgrades. Now on to make a final cartridge decision. Soundsmith?
The line between review and promotion is a very tricky and very thin line (Mark Waldrep).

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #66,045 of 149,762
:smile:

I defer all those messages to @Paladin79 for translation. He has Russian contacts. I'm also extra nice to him because of that. I never claimed to be stupid either. :laughing::laughing:
Your being extra nice may have something to do with the rare Russian tube that is on the way to you. @sam6550a should get it next and he lives in Georgia so you do not have to ship it far. Then maybe on to Ripper and Jedi.

Oh and I generally ask Russians FOR a translation, I am more apt to get by in the romance languages. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back