Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #66,002 of 150,808
Not sure if this the best spot to ask.

Anyone have any speaker recommendations to go with the Aegir? (I know somewhat backwards to pick the amp before the speaker but hey I’m loving my Asgard 3 so why not take it into my living room)

Medium sized room, but condo living so really looking for as speaker that plays well at low volumes. (Don’t feel the need to crank it up)

was looking at the Klipsch Heritage line (Heresy IVs and Forte IIIs), Zu has also come up a few times. Wondering what else people recommend.
What's your budget?

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #66,003 of 150,808
As I note above, Dave and Jason confirmed at the event that is was a single speed CD drive only and that it was not a CD Rom drive. I believe that as far as discs go, it will only play CDs and will not be able to be used to rip CDs to a computer.
You can use it if you don't mind playing back in real time and recording the audio file to your computer. Similar to how a vinyl record can be "ripped" to a hard drive. All you need is the correct software.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #66,004 of 150,808
I'll buy this CD transport upon release because I'm redbook only for source and, well, it's a piece of Schiit.
I'll buy a second one if it delivers the goods better than what I got with my existing 2 units - one of which has always had a noisy motor and the other a dearth of useful features and is peculiar in the way it operates. The layout of buttons on the remote just seems wacky, I can't tell you how many times I thought I was hitting pause/play only to have the tray eject.
I'm curious to see the manual and feature set. We still haven't heard a name yet, right?
Both my Yggdrasil's are #2's (1 upgraded from #1) but before Unison was available. I've been running AES in on both for as long as I've owned them. Not sure what all this Eitr / USB-C stuff is about and whether one of these other interfaces will be better or not than AES. I haven't upgraded either box yet as the cost of FED X shipping is half what the update costs, it's not cost prohibitive for me, it's just annoying as hell. And no, I wouldn't dream of pulling these boxes apart to save shipping cost - I'd probably never get them back together.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #66,005 of 150,808

Anyone have any speaker recommendations to go with the Aegir? (I know somewhat backwards to pick the amp before the speaker but hey I’m loving my Asgard 3 so why not take it into my living room)

Medium sized room, but condo living so really looking for as speaker that plays well at low volumes. (Don’t feel the need to crank it up)

was looking at the Klipsch Heritage line (Heresy IVs and Forte IIIs), Zu has also come up a few times. Wondering what else people recommend.

I use my Aegir with a pair of Zu Omen Dirty Weekend speakers and I love that combo. The Zu speakers aren't exactly small though, and they need some space to 'breathe' and sound their best.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #66,006 of 150,808
What's your budget?
$6000cad (roughly $4500usd) would be the absolute top. But happy to look at anything 2k+. Have KEF LS50s right now and I like them but I find I’m always turning it up. Which isn’t great with close neighbors or even when trying to talk to my future wife.

I mentioned plays well at low volumes but also something that doesn’t really require a sub. (Well aware most every speaker can do better with subs)

Probably would start with a single Aegir but eventually I’m sure I’ll have 2x into a Freya eventually.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #66,007 of 150,808
I'll buy this CD transport upon release because I'm redbook only for source and, well, it's a piece of Schiit.
I'll buy a second one if it delivers the goods better than what I got with my existing 2 units - one of which has always had a noisy motor and the other a dearth of useful features and is peculiar in the way it operates.
I'm curious to see the manual and feature set.
Both my Yggdrasil's are #2's (1 upgraded from #1) but before Unison was available. I've been running AES in on both for as long as I've owned them. Not sure what all this Eitr / USB-C stuff is about and whether one of these other interfaces will be better or not than AES. I haven't upgraded either box yet as the cost of FED X shipping is half what the update costs, it's not cost prohibitive for me, it's just annoying as hell. And no, I wouldn't dream of pulling these boxes apart to save shipping cost - I'd probably never get them back together.

did a quick read-up on USB audio, and if Schiit supports the asynchronous USB transfer mode, then the USB might provide better performance between the Transport and Yggy, otherwise, the AES (XLR) connection should provide about the same performance.

any regulars on the yggy thread that are near your area that could assist with the Unison installation? you could always PM them.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #66,008 of 150,808
$6000cad (roughly $4500usd) would be the absolute top.

I mentioned plays well at low volumes but also something that doesn’t really require a sub.

Probably would start with a single Aegir but eventually I’m sure I’ll have 2x into a Freya eventually.
That's a good budget. For a single Aegir you'll probably want something high efficiency. I have a friend who runs Klipsch and he loves them. For music with your budget you could go for a set of Forte's or maybe even Cornwalls depending on the deal you can get. See if there is a dealer in your area.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #66,009 of 150,808

In addition to your budget, it would also help to know your room dimensions, your music preferences, and your tonal preferences. What are your favorite headphones? Also, how far away from the front wall can you place your speakers?

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #66,010 of 150,808
I'll buy a second one if it delivers the goods better than what I got with my existing 2 units - one of which has always had a noisy motor and the other a dearth of useful features and is peculiar in the way it operates.
I'm curious to see the manual and feature set.
I would definitely recommend doing the unison yourself. Just take your time and be very careful! It took less than 30 Minutes and was fun. I’m not exactly proficient in these kinds of things but I love doing it.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #66,011 of 150,808
or semaphore during radio silence

JC

During the day, of course. At night, optical. Just try posting on this internet thing one time with a flashlight. :grinning: :grinning:

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #66,012 of 150,808
$6000cad (roughly $4500usd) would be the absolute top. But happy to look at anything 2k+. Have KEF LS50s right now and I like them but I find I’m always turning it up. Which isn’t great with close neighbors or even when trying to talk to my future wife.

I mentioned plays well at low volumes but also something that doesn’t really require a sub. (Well aware most every speaker can do better with subs)

I don't own the Aegir (yet) but I'm dying to hear it drive my Dynaudio's. I have the Special 25's and I've used them on and off for 15 years. They sound great at all volumes, but could use the extra push of being mono-blocked if you want to get crazy. There is now a Special 40 that fits into your budget. Keep us posted, literally.

Cheers :beerchug:
Tony

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #66,013 of 150,808
I would definitely recommend doing the unison yourself. Just take your time and be very careful! It took less than 30 Minutes and was fun. I’m not exactly proficient in these kinds of things but I love doing it.
I did the install myself and it took about 30 minutes as well. Somewhere there was a YouTube video that showed step by step. It really is pretty simple. Biggest thing was keeping all the screws separate. I used Dixie cups. Worked pretty smooth.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #66,014 of 150,808
I've never trusted the internet, which is why I still primarily use morse code.

So, you use a morse code key to send your posts to Head-Fi, then someone at Head-Fi posts for you? Do you log on, to check for correctness, or do you just throw caution to the wind, and live with the results? :sunglasses:

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #66,015 of 150,808
So, you use a morse code key to send your posts to Head-Fi, then someone at Head-Fi posts for you? Do you log on, to check for correctness, or do you just throw caution to the wind, and live with the results? :sunglasses:

I place all my faith in @Ripper2860 . But I've never claimed to be smart. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back