Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #65,221 of 150,788
Well, to me the word "belief" (which means 'to wish') implies I am using cables without having the grounded experience of being able to recognize an audible difference. Having worked on the retail side of audio many years ago I was taught to hear differences in gear and cables. I would not use up-level cables if I could not hear differences in the presentation of the music in my system, my ears, my room, etc.

I use Wireworld cables (PC and IC), and I have a 25+ year old set of Synergistic Research Speaker cables. The Wireworld cables sound clean and neutral to my ears, and the ones in my main system I was able to purchase used. Good value for my beer-level audio budget.
I thought you meant you didn't believe exotic cables made any difference in the sound of an audio system...

IMHO Cables don't "sound" clean, neutral or otherwise, they pass an electric voltage and current from one piece of gear to another. Depending on the (mis)match and build of ALL parts involved that influences the sound.
I think most people consider that the same thing. Since a cable is a component of the audio system, and changing a cable may make the system sound differently, cables have a sound even if they are not active components. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say, "...a cable's effect on the sound of the system..." to distinguish it from active components.

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #65,222 of 150,788
My dad was aWurlitzer guy (had one at home in later life) and I was quite the fan for a while. I moved back home briefly when he was a widower and we went to a bunch of concerts. Check out Carlo Curley.
There's a dedicated internet radio station for that music.
I use it to scare out visitors.
https://www.atos.org/listen

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #65,223 of 150,788
If all you're doing is using it for music, perhaps consider going over to the dark side and buying a Mac. That's what Jason uses...

I was going to suggest a used MacMini because they're pretty happy running headless. Most, if not all, streaming apps can be controlled from another computer using the native apps and 'pointing' the music to another device. I use a mini exactly like this using an iPad controlling Roon and, for my wife, Spotify.
However, the guy did ask for laptop suggestions so I realize I'm not adding much to the conversation.

Leave it to us Apple fan-boys to recommend Mac no matter what the question was :L3000:

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #65,224 of 150,788
Oh, and a public shout out to @earnmyturns who helped me find digital downloads of a couple of albums with astronomical used CD prices. Download services I didn't even know existed (no surprise there). New music is waiting for me on my Mac Mini. I hope I can find it. :)

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #65,225 of 150,788
Oh, and a public shout out to @earnmyturns who helped me find digital downloads of a couple of albums with astronomical used CD prices. Download services I didn't even know existed (no surprise there). New music is waiting for me on my Mac Mini. I hope I can find it. :)

Qobuz has come to the rescue a few times in the last couple of months. Amazon:
Screen Shot 1.png

Qobuz:

Screen Shot.png

Yes, I could've bought used but that can be something of a crapshoot.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #65,226 of 150,788
I was going to suggest a used MacMini because they're pretty happy running headless. Most, if not all, streaming apps can be controlled from another computer using the native apps and 'pointing' the music to another device. I use a mini exactly like this using an iPad controlling Roon and, for my wife, Spotify.
Indeed, Mac Minis make fine headless media servers and there are quite a few mods available if you like to fiddle with things.

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #65,227 of 150,788
Looking for opinions (I like to live dangerously).

I want to refresh my living room system with some mid-size Schiit. Looking for a Multibit DAC and a headphone amp/preamp to drive my Sennheisers 6XX and my old Meridian 555 amplifier with Dynaudio stand-mounted speakers. I do not want tubes and I do not really need balanced, it's OK if it's there but I will not be using it, al least not for a couple of years. The source is a Mac Mini media server (for now anyway).

So, between an Asgard with Multibit card ($399) and a Bifrost + Magnius ($898), other than price and balanced modes, what will I gain by paying twice the price? Is the sound difference that significant?

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #65,229 of 150,788

I want to refresh my living room system with some mid-size Schiit. Looking for a Multibit DAC and a headphone amp/preamp to drive my Sennheisers 6XX and my old Meridian 555 amplifier with Dynaudio stand-mounted speakers. I do not want tubes and I do not really need balanced, it's OK if it's there but I will not be using it, al least not for a couple of years. The source is a Mac Mini media server (for now anyway).

So, between an Asgard with Multibit card ($399) and a Bifrost + Magnius ($898), other than price and balanced modes, what will I gain by paying twice the price? Is the sound difference that significant?

I just got a pair of 6xx two weeks ago. I did a fair amount of research and many have pointed me to Asgard because it sounds much better than Magnius from the single ended inputs. I ended up getting a Asgard 2 which I really enjoy. People indicate that Asgard 3 has better bass control and a bit better dynamics. Probably go there at another time. I use mine with a MultiBit Gungnir that I had with my Speaker system.

I think that the hot setup would be Asgard 3 with Bifrost (the newest one). Its the more expensive price point, but my limited experience being DAC quality matters.

If you want to go balanced and have balanced cables for the 6xx then its probably ok to go with the modius /magnius stack at half the price of Asgard/Bifrost.

Personally I think Asgard/Bifrost would sound better with your Meridian amp and dynaudio speakers, but that is just my opinion.

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #65,230 of 150,788

While I cannot attest to sound, the Bifrost + Magnius offers a bit more flexibility which may or may not be required in your case. The Asgard with Multibit Card gives you one USB in and one analog RCA in. The Bifrost has has USB, Coaxial, and Optical in and the Magnius has balanced and RCA in, so you can can use balanced from Bifrost and still have RCA in if needed.

Do you need those extra inputs now? Probably not. Will you need or want them in the future? Hard to say. I have a Modi Multibit where I use the coax from a raspberry pi, the optical from an Oppo BDP-83, and the USB goes to my laptop when it is close enough and I want to listen to something that is easier to access on laptop.

Plus, with modular, it means that later if you want to upgrade your DAC or your headphone amp, you do not need to do both at the same time. But I like modular stuff and having a lot of options for source types.

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #65,231 of 150,788

If you can afford it, I bet many in this thread will wholeheartedly recommend the Bifrost 2 over the Multibit card in the modular DAC/Amp line. As far as amp, I think the Asgard 3 would be a better choice since you wouldn't need the extra power of the Magnius in balanced mode for the 6XX.

Disclaimer: I have not personally heard a Bifrost 2, Magnius, or Asgard 3. But I have an Asgard 3 on order, which I chose over the Magnius. I plan to use with my 6XX and 4XX cans.

Edit: @Brubacca beat me to it.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #65,232 of 150,788
Neither...I would go for Bifrost + Asgard for $898. I am not that fond of the multibit card (I own Asgard with card). I have heard neither Magnius nor Bifrost, but think Asgard is phenomenal. I am not fond of the mutibit card, but own Yggdrasil, which is fantastic and would hope that Bifrost delivers at least some of that goodness. I am thinking of getting a Bifrost for my home office system.

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #65,233 of 150,788
The Asgard with Multibit Card gives you one USB in and one analog RCA in. The Bifrost has has USB, Coaxial, and Optical in and the Magnius has balanced and RCA in, so you can can use balanced from Bifrost and still have RCA in if needed.
I had not thought of that, the USB card is very limiting for inputs...

Plus, with modular, it means that later if you want to upgrade your DAC or your headphone amp, you do not need to do both at the same time.
Good point, worth considering.

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #65,234 of 150,788
Well, I can tell you my experience- I originally went into the Schiittr last year to listen to the Lyr with the multibit card. And it was quite good, but the Bifrost 2 and Vahalla was set up right next to it. And you could compare them with the exact same music streams. The Bifrost 2 is what went home with me (along with the Vahalla) for my office system. And I got another Bifrost + Asgard for my computer system at home after listening to them for a few weeks. And I don't regret getting either. :)

I am pretty sure there are very few regrets from anyone that got the Bifrost 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back