Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 15, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #64,846 of 150,788
To my mind, that is more an issue of the software you are using for music playback than the RPi. I use Roon, and whilst we have a multi-room setup we. rarely synchronize playback. Roon claims that but I have very limited experience with that part of the system.
The people in the rooms I'm thinking of will all hear the same music. (Darn open floor plans.) For that reason the players must be in perfect sync as otherwise it will drive them crazy.
I wish I could just wire everything. I'd need a mini-Under-Miner device to do that.

Not willing to spend on Roon and have it not work. I've tried it before and didn't like it. Its hardware requirements also exclude almost every device I'd want to run it on.

Re: surge protectors. I had a Panamax (which failed), Furman, Belkin, SurgeX, Monster, APC, Shunyata Guardian. I like the Belkin and Shunyata best. Except for the Belkin's power switch; when it trips it comes back up in the off position. The SurgeX has issues with my GFI outlets; not sure I believe the electrician's statement about it being an issue with the SurgeX as opposed to poor wiring.

I have not heard any degradation through any of them (I have poor hearing, anyway). When I put in the Shunyata with a new Pine Tree Audio power cord that appeared to increase the tightness of images on my Odyssey amps. OTOH, it also appeared to add a veil to my Lyngdorf and Gungnir MB when I tried it there. (what's the sonic equivalent to "appear"?)

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #64,848 of 150,788
Roon backs up its service with offering a pro-rated refund if you don’t like it. A year ago I signed up only because they are willing to offer that and I love it. I have my main Schiit system, a Bluesound in the office, and two Apple TV’s all connected to it. Plus if your rip any albums (Mofi stuff that doesn’t exist in streaming), and you will be able to access it throughout your home. They offer a great product IMO.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #64,850 of 150,788
Oops.

Eh6fj0iU8AALOAS
This is hilarious.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #64,852 of 150,788
Another ZeroSurge user here.

Which model are you guys using? The 8x outlet one? They are more than I was looking to spend.

when looking for surge protectors:
shop for a name brand that has been around a while
and that comes with a "lifetime" or long warranty and / or a connected equipment warranty.
if you get a no-name brand, claiming the warranty will be next to impossible.

presently, i'm using a belkin with surge and multi-stage noise filtration. its a mfr's warranty replacement after the first unit failed about 8 yrs from purchase. The MOV's that absorb the surges wear down (clamping voltage decreases) and eventually fail, so surge protectors have a limited life span.
I have several Furman PL-8C for surge protection.

They're more geared toward musicians and rack-mounted gear, but the price/feature ratio is great and I feel very confident in their ability to honor warranties, etc.

I've got a.....roughly 20 year old Belkin I'm using now. I've been looking at a Belkin and two APCs on Amazon; all three less than ~$40. I was also looking at the Furman M-8X2.

I have used Monster and Sound Application in my stereo rig with great results, but price (at least for the Sound Application) can be quite high. For my headphone rig , I am using Audioquest Powerquest 3. I don't leave my gear on all the time. I do find it improves the sound performance noticeably just like the Sound Application, but at a much cheaper price. Probably one of the best hidden gems that I stumbled on.

I'll be honest, not a fan of Audioquest and not really a fan of Monster either. Sound Application, yeah too far out of my budget.

I'm thinking a long the lines of roughly ~$70 or less, maybe $100 depending on features and such. More than that and I'd have to consider it a bit. One thing I've noticed is that brands more geared to normal/broad use, all mention the Joules ratings of the surge protector. But it seems the ones from audio centered brands, don't mention Joules really at all or have a much lower rating. Anyone know why this is?

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #64,853 of 150,788
A proprietary communication protocol that only works with Schiit DACs? No, I don't think they will do that. They are not PSAudio. :)
Funny, I was thinking DSD...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_(metallurgy)

https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/

learned about this several years ago, but above has references to JEDEC papers. NASA also did a bit of research into this (hard / prohibitively expensive to repair satellites once in orbit, so high MTBF a necessity) and there may be some IEEE papers as well.
I wonder how much risk of lead poisoning the average person has from orbiting satelites?
Prolate Spheroid. But there’s always Aussie Rules football or even a mobile blood drive (oops, Rugby)...
I think we'd better be careful with this line of discussion. People can get just as worked up defending soccer from football, or the other way 'round, as they do defending their national pride. Remember, every minute @Jason Stoddard spends refereeing us is a minute he does not spend working on the Loki Max or asking Mike to hurry up with that transport, dammit.

I've tried to enjoy soccer, but I don't. I have no idea why Americans appropriated rugby and then called it football. Lots of Europeans I played rugby with used the term "American football". Some Aussies I played rugby with I think had the right idea, they called American football "gridiron". I think Mike Ditka would approve.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #64,855 of 150,788
Sep 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #64,856 of 150,788
I have no idea why Americans appropriated rugby and then called it football.

It was in the fine print of the surrender agreement at Yorktown. 😜

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #64,857 of 150,788
Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #64,860 of 150,788
Roon looks interesting, but they don't offer a UI that runs on any of my computers. I could run the server module, but that's about it. (I don't own a cell phone or tablet or windows or macintosh)

You don't use any of iPad, iPhone, Android tablet and phone, Mac, or Windows? You are a rarity indeed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back