Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 11, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #64,681 of 150,338
Maybe crazy. I'm an electro-zero but...
Would it be possible to build such a thing in a modular way?
Like the Ragnarok?

It'd be possible, but it would increase development time and complexity significantly--and therefore price. It would also drive our shipping and production people insane due to the number of variations--to say nothing of distributors (what do you stock?). We allow only two versions of Ragnarok 2 to keep things simple, for example.

Next week, new chapter: It's Never That Simple.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 11, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #64,682 of 150,338
Nothing I can talk about, I'm afraid. I'm working on a number of things, but most of them are pretty provisional.

Oh wait...one thing: we did just expand the lineup of PYST cables. Yeah, not a huge deal, but now that we're doing stuff that lives in racks, rather than being stacked on a desk, it was past time to have 1M and 2M RCA and XLR cables. For some cables, we're also giving you an option of our standard Straight Wire cables, and cables from a start-up here in California, Snake Oil. We liked the name and attitude. Neither Straight Wire nor Snake Oil are the cheapest things on the planet, and we don't get too deep into the "cables sound different" game (read the PYST page), so I won't be offended if you choose to go elsewhere.

@Jason Stoddard Do you plan on doing speaker PYST cables any time in the future?

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #64,683 of 150,338
Sep 11, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #64,684 of 150,338
SACD is a failed format because it was too expensive, CD was too established, and there was very little (many would say NO) audible differences. SACD is like DIVX. An idea that did not catch on.

A writer in Stereophile in the early 2000's made an observation that explained why all the high end digital discs of the day were not selling well, and never would. (Paraphrasing) 'The average person hears about this and thinks, this solves a problem I don't have.'

Compare this to the promise of the compact disc: perfect sound forever. Setting aside that perfect sound... was a bit (or more bits) of an exaggeration, millions or billions were sold.

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #64,685 of 150,338
...We allow only two versions of Ragnarok 2 to keep things simple, for example.

So that's a 'no' then to my suggestion of an HDMI ARC input. Lots of work-arounds available so no biggie.

I suggest going to the Straight Wire web site. https://straightwire.com/speaker-cable.html

Would be nice to be able to order directly from them but the best they can do for buyers is an email link and a phone number. Might as well be 1990.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #64,687 of 150,338
The latest issue of The Absolute Sound has a review of Bifrost 2 and Freya+. Their comments are generally very positive, stating that "Schiit remains one of the best value propositions in the hi-fi game" and "I'd highly recommend this little pairing for anyone looking for a truly outstanding DAC and a real no-joke tube preamp".

However, they also say that the Bifrost 2 "could be unrelentingly sharp in its presentation". Perhaps an opportunity for Schiit to offer multiple output boards for the Bifrost 2 with different sound signatures?

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #64,688 of 150,338
Would be nice to be able to order directly from them but the best they can do for buyers is an email link and a phone number. Might as well be 1990.
No, they don't sell direct. But looking at their web site can give you an idea of why a company like Schiit is unlikely to offer anything other than specific ICs for the components they manufacture, not the infinite variety needed to handle loudspeaker cables.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #64,689 of 150,338
No, they don't sell direct. But looking at their web site can give you an idea of why a company like Schiit is unlikely to offer anything other than specific ICs for the components they manufacture, not the infinite variety needed to handle loudspeaker cables.
Great point. I guess since, based on their website, SW isn't interested in e-commerce then maybe I shouldn't compare them to other e-commerce sites. My bad.

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #64,690 of 150,338
That beer I buy now and then, almost bottle of wine price for 33cl here in Portugal. Can’t drink a six pack of those! Lovely beer, not as good as Duvel or La Chouffe IMO.
Yeah, not cheap here in Oz either, $9 for 33cl. Duvel and La Chouffe also both excellent :beerchug::beers:

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #64,691 of 150,338
Now for a supremely on-topic question: I'm looking for recommendations for a new 2-channel system for a different place where we'll be spending considerable time. I don't have the exact dimensions handy yet, but it has vaulted ceiling, around 20 x 15 ft, complex geometry, mainly wood, plaster, and glass. Until we get a serious backup power system (which may be quite a while), there are potential unexpected power interruptions, and for safety we will be turning everything off when we are not there. Budget is flexible, but for various logistical reasons it should be a system that I can easily put together with reasonable quality, rather than a dealer-supplied fancy system like my big Linn system at home. For esthetic reasons, big tower speakers are not a good fit. So what I'm thinking about are some nice, relatively flat response high-efficiency stand-mounted smaller enclosures with compatible amplification (maybe Aegir(s)?). I may end up caving in to expensive convenience (some fancy Euro integrated...), but it would be fun to try an all-Schiit setup -- except that the Schiit multibit DACs I love sound a bit thin when cold, and I'd like to come back into the place, turn things on, and be listening to delightful music soon after. Puzzles, puzzles... Any ideas appreciated.
Single Vidar or a Pair of Aegir's on a pair of Dynaudio Special Forty's...

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #64,693 of 150,338
Nothing I can talk about, I'm afraid. I'm working on a number of things, but most of them are pretty provisional.

Oh wait...one thing: we did just expand the lineup of PYST cables. Yeah, not a huge deal, but now that we're doing stuff that lives in racks, rather than being stacked on a desk, it was past time to have 1M and 2M RCA and XLR cables. For some cables, we're also giving you an option of our standard Straight Wire cables, and cables from a start-up here in California, Snake Oil. We liked the name and attitude. Neither Straight Wire nor Snake Oil are the cheapest things on the planet, and we don't get too deep into the "cables sound different" game (read the PYST page), so I won't be offended if you choose to go elsewhere.

Yep, I was talking about DVD-A. I really don't know how many of those disks are out in the wild. I know there was a decent catalog go SACD.

Unfortunately, the control lines are not independent, so it's not just a matter of code.

A preamp that has all sorts of crazy stuff, like a motorized pot to set and track balance, relay tone controls, processor loop, home theater bypass, LF out, hell, L+R and L-R out, etc is possible, but it would be much bigger and much more expensive, even with a subset of those features, due to being in a much larger chassis and having mezzanine boards/perpendicular boards/etc. I'm still unconvinced that this is something we want to do.

Snake Oil. Classic.

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #64,694 of 150,338
Schiity Questions: Will we ever see new Delta/Sigma DAC cards? Upgrade AK4493 (or greater) cards for my Bifrost Gen 1 or Gungnir DACs? MB is great, but I like D/S too.

Thanks.

can a single 4493 card be designed that will fit both Bifrost (1 per unit) and Gungnir (2 identical cards per unit) ? for Bifrost, adding Unison USB would make this more expensive than a Modius (and not support Balanced out, either).

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #64,695 of 150,338
Snake Oil. Classic.
latest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back