Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #64,651 of 150,557
Jason said: Are there more than 17 disks in that format? Asking seriously. But no, I wouldn't expect it would support any disk playing other than CD.

Well I have 94 SACD disks, so that's important to me.....
i ve one sacd and plays perfectly as CD on my rotel dvd player

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #64,653 of 150,557
I like this comment ... as I sit here supping on a La Trappe Quadrupel from Netherlands.
That beer I buy now and then, almost bottle of wine price for 33cl here in Portugal. Can’t drink a six pack of those! Lovely beer, not as good as Duvel or La Chouffe IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #64,654 of 150,557
The problem is that 5G has very low range (1000 ft, or less than 1/5 of a mile) and requires a high density of cell towers to cover an area. Carriers have been dragging on 5G deployment because of the cost, and not motivated because of lack of competition at many locations. To contrast, 4G has a range of 10 miles (more than 50 times the range of a 5G tower).

Another problem in the US is low 5G performance because of the radio spectrum being used.
https://arstechnica.com/information...ile-other-countries-hit-hundreds-of-megabits/
https://arstechnica.com/information...than-4g-in-nearly-every-city-tested-by-pcmag/

For remote areas, satellite internet is promising:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/3/2...te-constellation-download-speeds-space-lasers
Interesting article on a small village in England that built a fast internet network; in parts of the US politics makes this impossible. Sigh.

https://arstechnica.com/information...t-internet-networks/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #64,657 of 150,557
SACD is a failed format because it was too expensive, CD was too established, and there was very little (many would say NO) audible differences. SACD is like DIVX. An idea that did not catch on.

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #64,658 of 150,557
Interesting article on a small village in England that built a fast internet network; in parts of the US politics makes this impossible. Sigh.

https://arstechnica.com/information...t-internet-networks/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Thanks for this @tin-ear
I know Clapham in Yorkshire!
A Northamptonshire village where I used to live, did something similar about 20 years ago. Fed up with non-existent internet coverage the locals got together and built their own network.
It was one of the first in England.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #64,659 of 150,557
SACD is a failed format because it was too expensive, CD was too established, and there was very little (many would say NO) audible differences. SACD is like DIVX. An idea that did not catch on.
Hard to believe that after the failure of DIVX that someone would come up with something even worse. Predictable results.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexplay

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #64,660 of 150,557

Yuck. Don't remind me. I worked at the plant that made the DIVX discs. Even manufacturing was a nightmare...! :tired_face:

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #64,661 of 150,557
Don 't forget to check out Bandcamp. They only have select artists but some are very obscure. They offer flac in cd quality and some hi res ( depends upon what the band provides). They also sell vinyl, cassettes and downloads. I've downloaded Garcia Peoples, Morcheeba, Mabel Greer's Toy Shop (pre YES) and Case -Lang- Veirs. Certain Fridays they donate the money to struggling artists.
The artist gets a bigger slice of the pie from Bandcamp than they do the streaming services. Other than physical media Bandcamp is where you go when you want to support the artist.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #64,662 of 150,557

I find it very difficult and expensive to find good content for SACD and have given up. I have 3. Two sound great and love the multi channel mix on them. I certainly agree it did not catch on but some times wonder what if SACD did catch on and the AV format wars never happened and we standardized on 5.1. A world that will never be. AV format wars continue and your hardware becomes obsolete well before its time.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #64,663 of 150,557
Jason said: Are there more than 17 disks in that format? Asking seriously. But no, I wouldn't expect it would support any disk playing other than CD.

Well I have 94 SACD disks, so that's important to me.....
I thought @Jason Stoddard meant DVD-A... Even I have some SACD discs, and I agree with @Ableza, I don't hear a difference between the formats (unless the SACD is multi-channel). What I really want is a convenient way to open the SACD layers so I can rip the multi-channel SACDs I have and then sell the discs. That's the only reason I bought those particular issues: 3-channel recordings from the 3-channel masters.

Thanks for this @tin-ear
I know Clapham in Yorkshire!
A Northamptonshire village where I used to live, did something similar about 20 years ago. Fed up with non-existent internet coverage the locals got together and built their own network.
It was one of the first in England.
Don't wait for the government or somebody else to fix it... There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #64,664 of 150,557
Even more - some SACDs don't have CD layers.
ed
Most SACD's are hybrids that have a CD as well as a SACD layer. These discs can be played on a normal CD player,. The stereo sound however, sorry (old school from first stereo records) , the DSD stream however can only be player with the proper SACD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back