Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #64,607 of 150,767
FB_IMG_1581946065052.jpg

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #64,609 of 150,767
A problem we have in the US is that in most locations, there is usually only one provider for broadband internet, which is typically a conglomerate such as Comcast or AT&T whose goal is to maximize profit. As the only local provider, they operate as a monopoly with no competition and able to extort customers for maximum revenue, and they have little incentive to improve service or lower prices. These large corporations lobby politicians to minimize consumer protection and pushed some states to enact laws that ban local communities from creating their own municipal internet service.

When Google Fiber would begin installing in a new location, then surprise — the existing provider would suddenly drop prices and increase network speed. Funny what happens with competition. The internet providers did everything they could to hamper the expansion of Google Fiber, and they have succeeded. Google Fiber is no longer expanding to new locations.
Was reading this article about just that topic this morning. Made me sad, then frustrated, then angry :frowning2: As so many things these day seem to do.

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #64,610 of 150,767
I drink the proper southern drink; iced tea. But, it'll kill ya' just as fast, with all the sugar in it...! :grin:
I'm from Missouri (the northernmost state of the South) and even as a kid I hated sweet tea. My mom thought I was really weird when I would go get a glass of water instead. :)

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #64,611 of 150,767
Lautrec (Henri Marie Raymond de Toulouse-Lautrec-Monfa) used to say: "I only drink what's good. The good cannot do me bad, what?" I follow him, with the exception of his "Tremblement de Terre" - half absinthe and half cognac. No, sir.

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #64,612 of 150,767
Have to admit I often wish I lived in Europe, where greed and politics don't exist, rather than in California.

I think the solution is America needs to embrace soccer (futbol)...

We would all be better off if we could stop acting like politics are soccer matches, and stop treating our political parties like teams/clubs.....

Ive had my coffee today wheres the whisky.

Music from my Schiit gear goes good with all beverages.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #64,613 of 150,767
Yummmm! Beeeeerrrr!!! (said in her best Homer Simpson voice).

My Internet options may suck, but at least I live in a craft beer mecca. Vermont has become known for craft beers. We have one of the highest (if not the highest) number of craft breweries per capita in the USA. IPAs are very popular, to the point that a brewery we visited last summer up in Perth, Ontario had a beer that they described as their take on a "Vermont style IPA". Since life is really short, I'm gonna drink good beer, dammit!!

We are big beer aficionados, my wife likes to collect beer related stuff. We have 20+ linear feet of shelf space dedicated to pint glasses, mostly from breweries we've visited. Yeah, I love beer (only alcoholic beverage that I drink anymore). And while I love IPAs, I'm more of a stout/porter drinker. I like my beer, coffee and chocolate to match my soul - dark and bitter. Oh, almost forgot - also really like that funny green smelly grass like stuff, too! The green grass mod makes the music so much more involving!

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #64,614 of 150,767
Okay, cease with the politics.

As I've said before, there are good and bad aspects to all places. And things are never as simple as you might like to think.

Again, with feeling: No politics. No saying "my place is better than yours." Stop it. If I have to delete any more posts like this, there will be bans.

Got it? Good.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #64,615 of 150,767
Okay, ...
Speaking of politics, will there be discussion about the transport during the livecast? If not planned already, that's my question. How's the transport coming along?

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #64,616 of 150,767
Speaking of politics, will there be discussion about the transport during the livecast? If not planned already, that's my question. How's the transport coming along?

I'll discuss what I can, but it's basically...waiting for firmware to be fully developed and tested. This is a complex product.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 10, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #64,617 of 150,767
Sep 10, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #64,618 of 150,767
@Jason Stoddard as an aside, would there be any sense in another preamp thunderdome?

Perhaps with 6dj8 tube based Freya? Should be an easy conversion and my understanding is that those tubes have a lower noise floor and have a larger selection of new production tubes to roll with.

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #64,619 of 150,767
Sep 10, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #64,620 of 150,767

Users who are viewing this thread

Back