Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 13, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #63,169 of 150,898
Aug 13, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #63,170 of 150,898
I thought the color choice was fantastic. I saw a black one the other day. Zzzzzzzz in comparison to that blue.

We both got tired of boring colors. Rina has a bright teal Wrangler, I have a bright blue Corvette. There you go.

(And yeah, I know, silver and red, black and red...but we've had a bunch of silver cars, it was time to change it up.

And yeah, I wanted to "do" the museum delivery once. It's fun, a little silly, and completely in keeping with the car. It also allowed us to stop and say hi to Dan at Emotiva and scout some locations for a more permanent second base out of California (we are getting set up near Corpus Christi, Texas--not to move the whole company, but to produce the smaller products.) Plus Rina had never seen Mesa Verde or the Grand Canyon. So a bit of business, a bit of fun.

And yeah, this car is super weird--put it in Tour, and it's as quiet as a Lexus (and rides like one). Track is near Viper in terms of feeling everything, steering response, etc. The old days of changing modes and wondering if there's anything changing are gone. Literally everything changes--steering effort, suspension firmness, exhaust noise (!). It's a very nice long-distance car, much better than I was expecting.

Beyond that, it's back to audio stuff...trying out a bunch of weird things this week. Some are working. Some aren't. So, same old, same old...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #63,171 of 150,898
biggest problem with newer cars is the software "updates". always takes while for the manufacturers to fix the bugs in the engine, transmission, steering and suspension Control Units because they are on calendared release schedules (annual new model year intros) and ship before products are finalized. Schiit is more fortunate (often to the dismay of those waiting impatiently) to not have hard targets for product releases, although there is some seasonality to sales.

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #63,172 of 150,898
Jason's Corvette looks nice. But if I came into some money, I could find one and I could find someone to modernise and upgrade it internally, there's only one car for me.

oWIKvAO.jpg

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #63,174 of 150,898
No problems with software updates with this baby.

often the updates are installed by the dealer when the cars are in for periodic maintenance (fluids, brakes, new tires, BATTERIES, and oil changes (excepting the above)) but the dealers don't tell you.

sorry for "derailing" the thread... now back to cats, coffee, and the Balanced-vs-SE debate :)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #63,176 of 150,898
often the updates are installed by the dealer when the cars are in for periodic maintenance (fluids, brakes, new tires, BATTERIES, and oil changes (excepting the above)) but the dealers don't tell you.
My Model S updates software via wifi whenever necessary.

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #63,177 of 150,898
biggest problem with newer cars is the software "updates". always takes while for the manufacturers to fix the bugs in the engine, transmission, steering and suspension Control Units because they are on calendared release schedules (annual new model year intros) and ship before products are finalized. Schiit is more fortunate (often to the dismay of those waiting impatiently) to not have hard targets for product releases, although there is some seasonality to sales.

Yeah, mine did an over-the-air update (like a phone!?!?!?) shortly after I came back. It's a weird new world.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 13, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #63,178 of 150,898
I like the idea of a new product having an smooth-actioned, precision volume knob & potentiometer. It's the main reason I modified my stock controls on my Vali 2 and Magni 3. I don't understand the appeal of balanced outputs for headphones. I know saying this publicly here might get me some negative (snide-comments) feedback (so please, follow an old Estonian adage... before you reply... take a drink of water... to stop and think). :triportsad:

Thread: may I have users point me to a comparison chart or external information source for these 2 outputs formats (that's not wikipedia). Specifically, for headphones (not 2-channel [preamp + power amp]). Has a group like the AES or ISO compared these 2 outputs (single ended [SE] versus balanced [XLR])?

Why should I switch my listening rigs from SE (Asgard 2, Magni 3, Vali 2, Fulla 2, Valhalla 2) to (true) XLR (Jotunheim, Mjolnir, Ragnarok, Magnius)?

for those using a computer or laptop as source (these have very noisy grounds), and powered monitors that can accept a true-balanced XLR input, the Magnius might help reduce background hiss and hum vs using an SE solution. Or, to their neighbor's chagrin, drive dual monoblock Vidars.

<<added>>
If your particular PC or laptop sourced setup (more likely with high sensitivity / high efficiency IEMs) exhibits background hiss and / or hum, then using a balanced DAC, balanced HP amp, and balance-connected headphones (using appropriate balanced cables throughout) may help.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #63,179 of 150,898
Aug 13, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #63,180 of 150,898
We both got tired of boring colors. Rina has a bright teal Wrangler, I have a bright blue Corvette. There you go.

(And yeah, I know, silver and red, black and red...but we've had a bunch of silver cars, it was time to change it up.

And yeah, I wanted to "do" the museum delivery once. It's fun, a little silly, and completely in keeping with the car. It also allowed us to stop and say hi to Dan at Emotiva and scout some locations for a more permanent second base out of California (we are getting set up near Corpus Christi, Texas--not to move the whole company, but to produce the smaller products.) Plus Rina had never seen Mesa Verde or the Grand Canyon. So a bit of business, a bit of fun.

And yeah, this car is super weird--put it in Tour, and it's as quiet as a Lexus (and rides like one). Track is near Viper in terms of feeling everything, steering response, etc. The old days of changing modes and wondering if there's anything changing are gone. Literally everything changes--steering effort, suspension firmness, exhaust noise (!). It's a very nice long-distance car, much better than I was expecting.

Beyond that, it's back to audio stuff...trying out a bunch of weird things this week. Some are working. Some aren't. So, same old, same old...

In the early 2000's I drove to The Grand Canyon, coming from Flagstaff in the South. Off Hwy 180 there are several volcano cones and craters. I took a side trip to one and found I was in the middle of The Mating Dance of Scary Looking Black Wasps. Or hornets. I emailed an entymologist at a University in Arizona about that. He was mightily envious he didn't see it. He ID'd the species (I forgot), and he told me they bite but the sting in only agonizing for a few hours. No, he didn't say that. He said they are not aggressive, and their sting barely hurts. I merely translated what actuality to a non-entymologist.
Music: evening at the Grand Canyon I slipped into a bar. A solo singer on the small stage sang a spookey version of a Ghost Riders in the Sky
Here is a 1949 version by Vaughn Monroe

Jason, did you stop at Meteor Crater? I've seen it twice, when I was about 10 and 15 years ago. It is amazing, more that just a big hole in the ground. I used to daydream about seeing a big meteor hit the earth, but was disabused of that idea by an article in one of the popular astronomy magazines around the time: if you can see, you will die either in minutes from either the heat, debris, or the shock wave, or if you are some miles away, you will in a couple of days from ultraviolet radiation burns.
My memento from 1961:

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

Jason's Corvette looks nice. But if I came into some money, I could find one and I could find someone to modernise and upgrade it internally, there's only one car for me.

oWIKvAO.jpg

I had a boss in the late 1970's who had one of there complete with the Phoenix on the hood.
He had an after-market turbocharge installed. The turbo-charger about killed the engine. I forget how it ended.
Fun, though. Hmm. More music. That reminds me of the punch line to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back