Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #63,107 of 150,851
As a web developer I very much appreciate the story about the bids for redesign @Jason Stoddard shared.

I also appreciate the simplicity of the schiit site. The one thing I’d add (which is not a simple addition depending on your card processor) Is Apple Pay checkout. PayPal is great and all, but the ability to impulse buy with fewer barriers seems like a great thing!

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #63,109 of 150,851
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #63,110 of 150,851
I just noticed it has more power than a 789 @ 300/600.

I've got a class A amp that has less power than both the Magnius and 789 @32 ohm but double the power @300/600. Of the 789. I'm not sure if that is a class A thing? but it's nice to see those numbers for a $199 amp.

I am very tempted to sell some stuff and get this. This might be the amp to beat under $500. Bring on the reviews!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #63,111 of 150,851
I just noticed it has more power than a 789 @ 300/600.

I've got a class A amp that has less power than both the Magnius and 789 @32 ohm but double the power @300/600. I'm not sure if that is a class A thing? but it's nice to see those numbers for a $199 amp.

I am very tempted to sell some stuff and get this. This might be the amp to beat under $500. Bring on the reviews!

max power depends on the load impedance, the voltage swing capability of the design, and for conventional Class A designs, the standing bias current. the designers of your amp optimized for higher impedance loads (e.g. 300 & 600 ohms) with less output current capability (likely to keep the heat and cost down). A Class A amplifier design can be optimized for high power into both low and high impedances, but at the expense of higher idling heat and higher component costs associated with a bigger power supply, larger heatsinks, etc.

If you look at recent headphone designs, you will find that the higher impedance models are usually dynamic types with medium to high efficiency (for example 95- 106 dB/mW rating), and the lower impedance models are typically planar designs, with low to medium efficiencies (~ 87 to 94 dB/mW).

IMO, for maximum flexibility from a headphone amp (to work with the headphones you have now, plus future purchases), look for models that provide highest power into lower impedances (e.g. 16 or 32 ohms).

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #63,113 of 150,851
** snip **
Another fun fact: an early run of boards was delivered without the top and bottom plane connection in place. The TPA6120A2s ran TWENTY DEGREES C hotter AT IDLE. It would have been very bad to proceed without the chip connected to the planes, even with a gap pad underneath.

Another another fun fact: we have a ton of FLIRs, they are great for pre-checking stuff before it goes in a chassis and on a burn rack. Big bright spot--AHH HELL SHUT IT DOWN!

Thermal management is the closest I have gotten to circuit design over the past decade or so. I am way out of that loop. .

reminds me of the basic laws of thermodynamics... "if its hot you drop it"; "if it burns up, stuff is cheap so just buy another one (or quietly sneak it back into Jason's office) " :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #63,114 of 150,851
Positives:
2b. The volume knob is also black! :smiley:

Negatives (ok, not really):
The gain switch is on the front !?
What is the world coming to? :scream::upside_down:
Lyr3, Jotunheim, & Asgard 3 allhave gain switches on the front as well. Yes, I still reach around when my brain wanders...

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #63,115 of 150,851
I still don't know why we don't have black Freya+. I suspect we just don't get many tops that need to be painted. Loki Max.........hang on, we'll see.....

Do we know why we dont have Lyr3 in black either?

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #63,116 of 150,851
This! I love my Loki and am about to upgrade to balanced via a 789 with my Modius and it literally just occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to use it in my chain anymore. Balanced Loki please!

I'd been running a SYS-Loki-Vidar SE path, but took the plunge into Balanced with a Freya S (just under the wire, apparently!) and 2nd Vidar. I also upgraded to a Bifrost 2 (from my Modi 2 Uber). So I'm running balanced Bifrost-Freya-Vidars, but also SE Bifrost-Loki-Freya for my ROIOs. Works great! I will be on the lookout for a balanced Loki with 6-8 bands though, when you can get to it!

This is my first post (except for my intro message) and the thread sure is busy, but I went for it anyway. I love to see everyone having so much fun!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #63,117 of 150,851
I'd been running a SYS-Loki-Vidar SE path, but took the plunge into Balanced with a Saga S (just under the wire, apparently!) and 2nd Vidar. I also upgraded to a Bifrost 2 (from my Modi 2 Uber). So I'm running balanced Bifrost-Saga-Vidars, but also SE Bifrost-Loki-Saga for my ROIOs. Works great! I will be on the lookout for a balanced Loki with 6-8 bands though, when you can get to it!

This is my first post (except for my intro message) and the thread sure is busy, but I went for it anyway. I love to see everyone having so much fun!

do you mean Freya S and not Saga S? AFAIK Saga S is singled-ended only, with Freya series supporting both SE and Balanced I/O.

With balanced input (from Bifrost 2's XLR outs) Freya S can drive dual Aegir or Vidar monoblocks in all 3 gain modes (passive, 1x Nexus, 4x Nexus). With SE input to Freya S, use 1x Nexus or 4x Nexus to drive dual Aegir / Vidar monoblocks.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #63,118 of 150,851
do you mean Freya S and not Saga S? AFAIK Saga S is singled-ended only, with Freya series supporting both SE and Balanced I/O.
Yes, of course, Freya S. Epic fail...
I edited my post, so as to not create confusion. Many thanks for pointing out my blunder.
And again, very glad I was able to grab a Freya S before they became unavailable.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #63,120 of 150,851
It’s been a while since I last contributed anything to this thread but I have not been idle.

Apart from countless hours enjoying music during confinement, I do occasionally look for ways to improve my existing Schiit equipment, rather than rushing out buying the latest great incarnations from Jason & Mike (sorry !). Not least, Schiit equipment has been difficult to source in Europe .. at least whenever I have looked.

My GMB/EITR combination with RCA/BNC coax was a SQ revelation and has served me well for the last 2 years or so, providing incredible musical pleasure.

However, I am always striving for a smoother sound presentation without losing the detail, articulation and weight. A member on another forum come up with a tip on how to improve a USB source without resorting to buying a Unison equipped DAC and in the absence of a Unison EITR.

His solution involves using TOSLINK … now when I tried direct TOSLINK on GMB before, I found the sound to be ’muddy & flat’. It lacked dynamics. He tried a number of COAX>TOSLINK converters connected to the EITR and TOSLINK input into the DAC, and landed on one that gave excellent results. What, another box, power supply and cables ?? … I hear the anguished cries !! Yep, with the right converter the resulting sound is noticeably smoother, whilst retaining the qualities I look for.

I exploited his idea further by replacing the EITR with an Armature Hecate DDC (euro version of the Singxer F1), a different design to the EITR. The Hecate is powered by injecting 5v into the USB with a clean PS and isolating out the ‘dirty’ USB v-bus power lines, With the same converter, the sound is now ideal to my ears (YMMV). What remaining glare there was has disappeared and the sound is less ‘aggressive’ than the EITR in the chain. I also found that different coax cables made a difference … but I don’t want to start a cable-war here !

In my experience, the sound is better with a solid state head-amp. So the superb little Magni 3+ (with HD-650) or Gilmore Lite Mk2 (with Aeon Open), fit the bill here very well.

Why not just buy a Unison BiFrost or Gungnir ? .. yeah, well, as I said … I like to improve what I already have rather than spending more ‘$’ to crack the nut. If it works for me, then all is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back