Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #63,076 of 150,825
Does anyone know what the Modi3+ mentioned in the Magnius FAQs could be?
Raoulst
Huh, interesting. Good catch. Wonder if we'll get a refresh on the Modi 3 soon. Or maybe it's just a typo.

From the Magnius FAQ (emphasis on Modi 3+ added)
"And, in purely practical terms, Magni Heresy and Modi 3+ is a combo at less than half the price that does virtually everything Magnius and Modius does, as long as you don't want or need balanced I/O. Bottom line, we hope you enjoy Magnius…or find something else you like (even if we don’t make it.) It’s all good."

PS: Welcome to the forum @raoulst .

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #63,077 of 150,825
Sorry about that, but, "I'm feeling much better now." Bonus points if you know who said that...

I seem to recall that line being regularly spoken by John Astin (Gomez in the original Addams Family show in the '60s) on the quirky '90s TV series The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. which starred cult favorite Bruce Campbell. Of course he might have been quoting someone else. I wouldn't be surprised if Jason was a fan of that show.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #63,078 of 150,825
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 12, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #63,081 of 150,825
Actually no offense to Schiit but looking at the list of products that Schiit offers, it now has 8 amps under $400.

maybe a new customer who decided that they will purchase an amp from Schiit will have a hard time choosing which one to get.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #63,082 of 150,825
Actually no offense to Schiit but looking at the list of products that Schiit offers, it now has 8 amps under $400.

maybe a new customer who decided that they will purchase an amp from Schiit will have a hard time choosing which one to get.

This is incorrect, based on the big-brand truism that "simpler--like the Apple laptop lineup--is better." As I've said before, we have no evidence of "paralysis by analysis" amongst our customers.

It is also incorrect based on the way the products are portrayed. We actually have:

1. Two gaming/communication amp/DACs, called out as a separate category.
2. Three modular amps or amp/DACs, called out as a separate category. (Of which one is tube.)
3. Five "pure" headphone amps, called out as a separate category. (Of which two are tube and three are solid state.)

In our experience, people usually select by (a) price, (b) category, (c) type.

Hence, prices on the product list page.

Hence breakdown by category.

And hence easy selection by type (a photo showing a tube sticking out of an amp puts it in a certain category, for example--a plus for some people, a minus for others.

The reality is, while you may think all products "under $400" are about the same price, there's a huge difference between, say, a Fulla 3 at $99 and a Lyr Multibit at $699 when someone is starting out, even though the two products have similar feature sets.

Hell, there's a huge difference between $99 and $199 to many of our customers. A lot of companies have forgotten that, and that's one reason high end audio is in the state that it's in. It's super-hard to get started when people call $2500 "entry level." And yes, I've heard this many times--our entire line shoved into the "entry level" ghetto. Cool. This is where we want to be.

You need to be careful of extending a big brand truism to a small, niche market, because, as I think I said in the first chapter, the rules are very very very very different there. You're taking research from companies that spend our annual revenue in a week on advertising. There's no congruence there. Should we also spend tonnage on the unboxing experience, like the simplicity mongers do? Again, there's not a direct correlation. Remember, I played this game for 20 years--and one of the most important things we had to do was to get our typically small and niche customers off of all the big-brand groupthink spew, because it didn't work from them.

Despite the size of our line, we are most frequently criticized for not having an even broader selection of products. Does this mean we need more products? Probably not, but maybe yes. The reality is the line will grow and shrink based on what people like, what we like, availability of parts (mainly tubes), our ability to service and support the products, and other factors. We'll always be too big for some and too small for others.

As I've said before, I hope we make something that delights you as much as it does us...but if not, there are plenty of great products out there.

Last edited:

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #63,083 of 150,825
The only paralysis I see related to Schiit product acquisition is self inflicted and usually related to 'Do I buy this now or hold-off in case something even cooler is on the horizon?'. :worried:

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #63,084 of 150,825
As an example of Jason's logic of the product numbers and choices: In 2017 I was needing a headphone amp, and new headphones. I did not know anything about headphones amps but knew that I arbitrarily wanted tubes because the integrated amp I got from a friend (that lacked a headphone jack) was tubes. Doing a search, I found there were a lot of options out there. I also learned that the headphones I was leaning towards (Sennheiser HD600s) liked tubes.

Reading reviews and such, I decided tubes, and Schiit seemed like an interesting company. At the time, my options for tubes were the Vali 2, Valhalla 2, and Lyr 2 (and the Mjolnir but that was outside my price range). I then weighed the options of those three and decided I wanted a pure tube amp and decided on the Valhalla 2, which was also at just about the upper limit of my price range I was looking for. I have been quite content every since, though occasionally new amps come out that make me interested for a little bit.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #63,085 of 150,825

for me, more and newer products (with higher sound quality than those they replaced) in the $99 and $199 price points is good, as it will encourage more people to try out dedicated audio gear, with some eventually looking to upgrade, thereby increasing demand for mid and upper range products. higher volumes means lower prices for everyone.

the Transport, Gadget, and next gen upper tier amps and DACs will be released someday, hopefully soon.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #63,086 of 150,825
The only paralysis I see related to Schiit product acquisition is self inflicted and usually related to 'Do I buy this now or hold-off in case something even cooler is on the horizon?'. :worried:

I was doing that with the Jotunheim just in case a Nexus upgrade was on the horizon. Putting an end to that and purchasing the current Jotunheim was one of my best decisions with regards to this hobby.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #63,087 of 150,825
Fun fact: we absolutely blew up a big brand's website redevelopment when we were invited to submit a proposal and comps (and paid for our time to do so). The company had a complex lineup, and a brand management book thicker than my thumb, full of rules on how their sub-brands had to be portrayed. Designing to their standards would mean a nearly incomprehensible site, because their sub-brands were not well known by their audience. However, there was a kicker: the comps would all be presented to a focus group for final approval.

So I put together three teams at the agency:

1. Do a comp based exactly on their brand book.
2. Take it farther.
3. Forget their directives entirely and approach it from a customer perspective.

This is where I came up with the idea that, "well, if a customer knows anything, they know what they want to spend, and (at least kinda) what kind of product they want." So we broke their lines down by clearly identified types, with prices arranged in ascending order. We presented all three comps, to the consternation of some of their marketing people (and the delight of others).

Then came the time for the focus group. Of all the agencies and all the comps, the focus groups unanimously picked the non-brand-standard-compliant, simple price-and-category concept!

Great news, right? Well, not so much. This very staid, very conservative company was so put out by the fact that nobody knew or cared what their sub-brands were that they killed the website design entirely. It was not awarded to any agency--it was brought in-house so their brand managers could keep everything under control.

So yeah, we blew up the focus group, and showed how it should be done...and lost the contract anyway. Ah well, we're stupid like that sometime. Of course, this was almost 20 years ago now, so maybe we're a bit smarter now. Or not.

And when the time came for Schiit, it was simple enough to pinch that concept and run with it!

Last edited:

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #63,088 of 150,825
@Jason Stoddard

+1 to your sentiments on 99 vs 199.

In December 2017 I was looking for my first headphone amp to drive the HD6XXS I had on order. I would not have bought anything from you, had you not had the 99 dollar offerings. At the time 99 dollars was a stretch to my wallet and psyche. 169 for Vali 2 or 250 for Asgard 2 was way too much for me as a first time buyer.

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for making the rabbit hole easy to fall into.😁

My wife thanks you. She likes that my hobby brings me enjoyment and relaxation, and keeps my butt at home where it won't get into trouble.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #63,089 of 150,825
@Jason Stoddard

+1 to your sentiments on 99 vs 199.

In December 2017 I was looking for my first headphone amp to drive the HD6XXS I had on order. I would not have bought anything from you, had you not had the 99 dollar offerings. At the time 99 dollars was a stretch to my wallet and psyche. 169 for Vali 2 or 250 for Asgard 2 was way too much for me as a first time buyer.

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for making the rabbit hole easy to fall into.😁

My wife thanks you. She likes that my hobby brings me enjoyment and relaxation, and keeps my butt at home where it won't get into trouble.
I can echo a similar sentiment regarding price. in 2015, I didn't even have great headphones at the time (HD555s) but had been using the headphone output of a classic Marantz receiver. I didn't care much about headphone quality, but I did care about noise, and the Marantz was dead quiet. That marantz died and I ended up trying a number of cheap used receivers from craigslist, but all of them had noisy headphone outputs. I decided a headphone preamp between my computer and receiver was the way to go, and picked a B stock Magni 2 uber at $140 to fit the bill, mainly because of price. If it had been 199, I don't even think it would have been in consideration.

Fast forward to today, and I've got HD650s, Magni 3, Modi 3, and Vidar, with Magnius, Modius, and balanced cables for my 650s on the way. All that because I didn't like noise in my headphones and the Magni was a cheap solution.

Aside, I've since had the old Marantz 2252 professionally refurbished and it is on permanent loan to my brother. I haven't actually heard it since it got fixed, but am very curious how it sounds compared to my Magni/Vidar stack.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #63,090 of 150,825
Ok. Sure.

From my personal experience I heard about Schiit as a company. At that time I never knew what tubes are for, class a/ab etc etc. I just saw the Jotunheim was new and bought that. At that time there weren’t as much items around that price range. Now if I take my old self from the past and show the list of products I’ll have a hard time deciding.

As I've said before, I hope we make something that delights you as much as it does us...but if not, there are plenty of great products out there.

Don’t get me wrong here. I am not trying to tell anyone how to run their company. Though, I maybe guilty of asking for a black freya+ and a loki maxi. I am just a humble consumer here who knows little about things. I am not trolling either.

If my earlier comments ruined the party then I apologize for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back