Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 12, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #63,046 of 151,235
This! I love my Loki and am about to upgrade to balanced via a 789 with my Modius and it literally just occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to use it in my chain anymore. Balanced Loki please!

you can confirm with @Jason Stoddard but I believe the new Magnius HP amp is balanced differential, and will take an SE input (from say Loki Mini) and output Balanced to the headphones, and possibly the pre-outs as well.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #63,048 of 151,235
I was fully planning on getting the silver matching amp, also as an early adopter. Now, I'm probably not going to be an early adopter of anything Schiit anymore. Lesson learned.
Maybe see if you can reach out and get a black case for your Modius...

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #63,052 of 151,235
one problem with audio test and measurement standards is that tests are performed with volume controls maxxed out. if devices are tested, say with the volume control set to -20dB from max, then it will be easier to see non-linearities in THD and IMD plots, as the volume control impedance will interact with the input stages.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #63,054 of 151,235
What is the target sound signature? Is this aimed to have a more clinical and uncolored sound like the THX-sound, or is there some added warmth or color added in?

i would expect the sound signature to be more clinical than warm, being op-amp based with high open-loop gain + negative feedback. In contrast, the discrete designs like Asgard & Jotunheim have lower open-loop gain and less or no overall global loop feedback, but generally warmer sound signatures.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #63,055 of 151,235
Hard to imagine Mjolnir 2 getting better :)
Mjolnir 3 having no tubes to futz with (longer MTBF mean-time-between-failures) and remote volume & input switching. Kind of like Ragnarok 2, but optimized for normal efficiency headphones, and lower pricing.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #63,056 of 151,235
If Russian-made Tung-Sol's are shipped from Russia using regular post, then we could be waiting until the next Siberian winter passes, haha. The Russian post is completely fubar'd right now, so shipment times are on the scale of months rather than weeks.
I just received tubes from Russia took less than two weeks

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #63,057 of 151,235
some of the components in Freya+ (high-voltage rated electrolytics, the large film-dielectric SMT capacitors, and / or the dale RN resistors if they require tight matching better than the standard 1%) look like they might be long lead-time or custom made to Schiit's specifications. With CRT displays replaced by LCD / OLED panels, high-voltage-rated components (for use with tubes) are more scarce.

As Jason says, best to order and wait (im)patiently. Or buy a Freya S if you need SE to balanced conversion and want IR remote volume and analog source switching.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back