Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 11, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #63,002 of 150,789
Amazing how much demand there is for Freya+.
Having owned one since it went on sale, it totally makes sense to me. The passive/active/tube option provides flexibility that no other preamp does, regardless of price. And the SQ of the tube stage beats any preamp I've heard. I have it sitting between a tricked-out VPI front end and a pair of Wilsons and in no way do I see the Freya as the weak link. Other than some tube rolling and room treatments, I'm done! ...OK, except for a Loki maxi :wink:

It's just such a ridiculous value. If anyone's on the fence, I'd say hop off and (im)patiently wait for yours to be built!

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #63,003 of 150,789
What the hell!!?? Is that a volume knob with a visible dot??

please tell me they’re not considering moving the power switch to a convenient location :darthsmile:

I actually prefer them in the back... I know I know, madness!

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #63,004 of 150,789
Having owned one since it went on sale, it totally makes sense to me. The passive/active/tube option provides flexibility that no other preamp does, regardless of price. And the SQ of the tube stage beats any preamp I've heard. I have it sitting between a tricked-out VPI front end and a pair of Wilsons and in no way do I see the Freya as the weak link. Other than some tube rolling and room treatments, I'm done! ...OK, except for a Loki maxi :wink:

It's just such a ridiculous value. If anyone's on the fence, I'd say hop off and (im)patiently wait for yours to be built!

You're killin' me, man!

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #63,005 of 150,789
Even though all of my Schiit gear is silver, in this case I agree with Jason’s design choice. The switch to the 27mm Alps control and the balanced XLR headphone jack raises their holes to break into the top curve. While the volume knob could be silver, that‘s not going to happen with the XLR and the result will be a very unbalanced looking from panel.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #63,006 of 150,789
What the hell!!?? Is that a volume knob with a visible dot??

please tell me they’re not considering moving the power switch to a convenient location :darthsmile:

Baby steps... :wink:

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #63,008 of 150,789
Just saw your WAF issue with the color - doh! But I wonder what it would cost to send the cover to an anodyzing shop to change it to black? 50 bucks maybe? Not my area of expertise tho, but seems like that should be possible. Has anyone else tried such a thing?

Problem is, for things to match, one would need to do this for every piece of Schiit, regardless of how it came originally. :frowning2:

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #63,009 of 150,789
My $0.02:

re Magnius from an electrical design / parts selection standpoint (not part of the beta program, so have never heard this unit):

users are fortunate that Schiit way over-bought the alps RK27 4-gang pots (custom, non-returnable to the supplier), unheard of quality (smooth rotation, noise-free, very good channel matching and adjustment taper) at this $199 price point.

data sheet for the TPA6102A2 looks pretty hum-drum if implemented per the reference design. However, in the hands of an experienced designer (like Jason) who lives and breathes current-feedback amps, with complex loop/feedback architecture, it should easily out-perform competitor's products that use the reference design.

looks like a good match for balance-capable headphones (esp dynamics in the 50 to 600 ohm range). low impedance (~16 ohms), and especially low-efficiency planars maybe not the best match.

use of Neutrik connectors and large AC wall-wart are pluses.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #63,011 of 150,789
Or just surrender, and sell me your silver modius for like half price so yous can get matching all black :)

Jason might be the one with extra silver Modius Dacs. At least, from anyone who recently purchased a silver Modius, who now wants to return it for a black unit. Just to match their future Magnius amp...!

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #63,013 of 150,789
I was speculating the long lead times might be about the supply chain for tubes, which are kinda a critical component. Cheers!
If Russian-made Tung-Sol's are shipped from Russia using regular post, then we could be waiting until the next Siberian winter passes, haha. The Russian post is completely fubar'd right now, so shipment times are on the scale of months rather than weeks.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #63,014 of 150,789
Omg now I'm debating if I want to send back my Asgard 3 and swap it for the Magnius. I have a couple of headphones coming in with XLR terminators. It seems like the Magnius should pair well with the Bifrost 2.

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #63,015 of 150,789
Asgard 3 should be better than Magnius for use with low-impedance (~16 ohm) planars, especially the low-efficiency early designs from HFM, etc., provided that the single ended cable was designed right as a 4-wire cable (with two leads for each earpiece running the entire length of the cable, terminated right at the TRS plug)

from the specs, Bifrost 2 uses the same LME output stage for both SE and Balanced outs, so should have the same sound quality from SE and Balanced.

I recommend trying the new headphones with a TRS 1/4" to 4-pin adapter cable first, before swapping out the amplifier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back