Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #61,832 of 150,730
[[/QUOTE]
Many folks in this thread would say Jotunheim is an amazing amp, let alone amazing value. Its affordable enough (especially with the B-stock Bonanza(tm) still underway), so why not pick one up and just start enjoying it?

As for Mjolnir 2, I have no hard evidence of this, but it seems to be one of the older products in the line-up, and my HOPE is that a Mjolnir 3 is coming using 6SN7 coherence/continuity (i.e. balanced version of Lyr3). However, maybe you have already found some magic 6BZ7 for your tastes in the Vali, and the ability to use those in Mjolnir 2 would be a positive.

My apologies, as this isn't so much a definitive answer one way or the other...just hoping to give you food for thought!

Full disclosure, I don't own Jotunheim (or Mjolnir 2) myself, but I do own Mjolnir 1 (and waaaayyy too much other Schiit).
From my Post #61,629:
"HiFiMan Sundara & HE400i from open box sale arrived.
Sundara replaces the HE 560 v2 balanced into the Mjolinar 2 from Gungnir MB Unison -> iMac (ripped Apple Lossless) stack.
Mjolinar 2 running ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo - June 1961; HE 560 & Sundara are very nice from them.
However - Rolling time again.
Rolled to adapted 396A Western Electric - NOS - 1976. Previously the Western Electric, had been the front pair in Valhalla 2; worked nicely with Sennheiser HD650.
In the Mjolinar 2 they sucked the life out of the Sundara.
Now 6N23P Voskhod Rocket - 1971; Sundara back alive again, rivals the ECC88 Mullard.
Going to stay here a bit to determine if it is a keeper setup."

I also have Beyerdynamic T1v2 and Sennheiser HD650 which I run ballanced from the Mjolinar 2. The T1 and HiFiMan seem to like the same tubes. I use different tubes for the Sennheiser.
I also have a Jotunheim running single ended from the Gungnir MB. It is a great amp. With the mentioned headphones, in this system, I prefer the Mjolinar 2.
A Cambridge CXC CD spinner is an alternate source for the Gungnir MB. Same conclusions.
JMTC & YMMV
Thanks guys, just wanted to see what I will be missing out if I chose one amp over the other. If the Jotunheim is very close to the Mjolnir2 with tubes, then that is a good proposition and save some coin. But if Mjolnir2 is a big step ahead overall, then I can see that might be the better choice. Then there's new Schiit products on the horizon, like most have said MJ3....decisions, decisions.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #61,833 of 150,730

They make ocd pills!?

Where do I sign up. And more importantly do they reduce ocd or increase ocd. Either way is win win for me, i need one that reduces, my wife needs one that increases... i guess it doesn't matter though, i would probably end up losing them like my Alzheimer's pills, i set them down somewhere and now I can't remember where that somewhere was....

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #61,834 of 150,730

Thanks guys, just wanted to see what I will be missing out if I chose one amp over the other. If the Jotunheim is very close to the Mjolnir2 with tubes, then that is a good proposition and save some coin. But if Mjolnir2 is a big step ahead overall, then I can see that might be the better choice. Then there's new Schiit products on the horizon, like most have said MJ3....decisions, decisions.
[/QUOTE]
The Jotunheim is a very good amp from an objective standpoint. The numbers and specs are excellent. IMO the sonic performance backs up the numbers. It's not the be-all, end-all, no amp is, but a very fine solid state balanced amplifier. I also have the Lyr 3 and in some ways the Jot outranks it. Lyr 3 is more engaging and addictive to listen to overall. Jotunheim has more energy overall. It is a very powerful and refined sound signature. I have found it can do incredible things with the right DAC and the right headphone.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #61,836 of 150,730
I have no experience with the Mjolnir (I couldn’t if I wanted to, for I lack the necessary desk real estate), but the Jotunheim is an amazing amp that exceeded my expectations. It’s got power aplenty, it is very silent, and has excellent detail and instrument separation. It also packs quite the punch in the low end, and it’s tight and fast. It sits on the bright end of neutral, however, so if you’re looking for the typical “audiophile” sound (i.e. warm, laid back, euphonic), you’ll be disappointed.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #61,837 of 150,730
Oh yeah, not saying the Mjolnir 2 is not a badass amp. I've heard it before. I would expect the MJ3 to be an absolutely insane amp if and when it comes out.

I have no experience with the Mjolnir (I couldn’t if I wanted to, for I lack the necessary desk real estate), but the Jotunheim is an amazing amp that exceeded my expectations. It’s got power aplenty, it is very silent, and has excellent detail and instrument separation. It also packs quite the punch in the low end, and it’s tight and fast. It sits on the bright end of neutral, however, so if you’re looking for the typical “audiophile” sound (i.e. warm, laid back, euphonic), you’ll be disappointed.
How's the soundstage on Jotunheim, is it large, wide and deep? I do like a 3D soundstage. Wonder how it stacks up against the Mjolnir2 with tubes in this regard.

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #61,838 of 150,730
They make ocd pills!?

Where do I sign up. And more importantly do they reduce ocd or increase ocd. Either way is win win for me, i need one that reduces, my wife needs one that increases... i guess it doesn't matter though, i would probably end up losing them like my Alzheimer's pills, i set them down somewhere and now I can't remember where that somewhere was....
don't worry, you'll soon forget there is a somewhere

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #61,840 of 150,730
After reading a bunch of posts made over the weekend, I've come to realize there's many Linux users here. +1

I personally use Fedora (Audacity and Clementine for audio sources) as my main OS and have Windows 10 on a separate partition but rarely use it now.

+1 Linux

JRiver + Ubuntu 18.04 - Went thru Schiit Modi, Modi Multibit, Bifrost. Linux is supposed to be harder - but so far - it just works (tm) - Not a single issue with drivers, detection of the device, etc. I read about the issues people have had with Windows and the hoops that need to be jumped thru to get maximum performance with the different choice of drivers and modes - I won't event get into that as I vaguely remember their names.. but man, seems that you are lucky if it works right the first time.

In Ubuntu, connect, fire up JRiver, select DAC, request exclusive mode, that's it.

Disclosure, it has been probably 10 years since I touched a Windows machine - might be wrong in everything as I just skip those posts re: issues with Windows.

v

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #61,841 of 150,730
Disclosure, it has been probably 10 years since I touched a Windows machine - might be wrong in everything as I just skip those posts re: issues with Windows.

v
What makes you special? Find a Windows machine to log onto and start suffering with the rest of us.

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #61,844 of 150,730
Welp, finally broke down and made a decision on a DAC and ordered a Bifrost 2... I was really torn between it Yggdrasil GS and Gungnir MB, but in the end Bifrost 2 eeked by mainly because Gungnir is only available in Silver and I'm pretty sure there will be updates coming for it and Yggdrasil shortly and I'd be PYST if I ordered one and there was an update in the near future...

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #61,845 of 150,730
Welp, finally broke down and made a decision on a DAC and ordered a Bifrost 2... I was really torn between it Yggdrasil GS and Gungnir MB, but in the end Bifrost 2 eeked by mainly because Gungnir is only available in Silver and I'm pretty sure there will be updates coming for it and Yggdrasil shortly and I'd be PYST if I ordered one and there was an update in the near future...
with mike talking about various DAC side-grade flavors possibly in the mix, any for Bifrost 2 should hopefully be user-installable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back