Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 9, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #61,802 of 150,555
Yet there are plenty of people my age who, when that record came out, listened to both sides over and over trying to figure out what we had missed... :)
I read some of Lester Bangs' writing on Metal Machine Music before I ever listened to it (in fact, Lester Bangs is how I learned about the album in the first place). His take on the album is... interesting. I may need to reread it. There is a good chance most of it is a farce, but I am not sure. Have not researched it enough.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #61,803 of 150,555
“Though you’re still using micro-USBs!” someone yells. “What a pain in the ass.”
Non-starter. I've got a drawer full of broken micro-USB cables and sockets and I'm pretty delicate on my gear. Then again, I'm probably not the target audience so you probably don't care.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #61,804 of 150,555
I read some of Lester Bangs' writing on Metal Machine Music before I ever listened to it (in fact, Lester Bangs is how I learned about the album in the first place). His take on the album is... interesting. I may need to reread it. There is a good chance most of it is a farce, but I am not sure. Have not researched it enough.
Lester Bangs' book "Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung" is must reading for any music fan.

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #61,806 of 150,555
Lester Bangs' book "Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung" is must reading for any music fan.

That is the book that I read. I love his style and am amused that the hero worshiping he griped about is definitely still around. Also, it was a nice intro to some music I missed due to being too young for it (The Stooges "Fun House" and "Metallic K.O." are ones i picked up after reading his stuff). It was also enjoyable for me to see some of his (presented) personal growth and development through the writings.

If I had a time machine, he is definitely a guy I would want to go back and meet.

Edit: I also admit I learned about Lester Bangs through the movie "Almost Famous" and I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman did a great job portraying Lester in it.

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #61,807 of 150,555
Thanks for taking my jab in the good-natured way it was intended. :)
Well of course. This isn't that kind of thread.

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #61,808 of 150,555
Hey guys,

Looking for some suggestions/help. Currently have a Vali2 headamp , Marantz HD-DAC1 dac/amp, with Hifiman Sundara and AQ Nighthawk headphones. I can't decide on my next Balanced amp purchase, but narrowed it down to Jotenheim or Mjolnir2. I want this next amp to be "my end game" for the next serveral years if not more. I might be adding a Focal Clear headphone into the rotation too.

Given what I have for gear, what is a better choice amp, I know one is SS and the other is tube hybrid, but looking for any feedback as I have not heard these two amps in person. I value smooth detailed treble, full body mids, strong impactful accurate bass, dynamics, good size soundstage with width and depth, and great separation/imaging. The dedicated Jotenheim and Mjolnir2 threads are pretty quiet these days, forgive me if I should not post here.

Thanks.

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #61,809 of 150,555
I need a hat with the label “Make Loki Great Again” for the Loki +

edit: had -> hat

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #61,811 of 150,555
Hey guys,

Looking for some suggestions/help. Currently have a Vali2 headamp , Marantz HD-DAC1 dac/amp, with Hifiman Sundara and AQ Nighthawk headphones. I can't decide on my next Balanced amp purchase, but narrowed it down to Jotenheim or Mjolnir2. I want this next amp to be "my end game" for the next serveral years if not more. I might be adding a Focal Clear headphone into the rotation too.

Given what I have for gear, what is a better choice amp, I know one is SS and the other is tube hybrid, but looking for any feedback as I have not heard these two amps in person. I value smooth detailed treble, full body mids, strong impactful accurate bass, dynamics, good size soundstage with width and depth, and great separation/imaging. The dedicated Jotenheim and Mjolnir2 threads are pretty quiet these days, forgive me if I should not post here.

Thanks.

Many folks in this thread would say Jotunheim is an amazing amp, let alone amazing value. Its affordable enough (especially with the B-stock Bonanza(tm) still underway), so why not pick one up and just start enjoying it?

As for Mjolnir 2, I have no hard evidence of this, but it seems to be one of the older products in the line-up, and my HOPE is that a Mjolnir 3 is coming using 6SN7 coherence/continuity (i.e. balanced version of Lyr3). However, maybe you have already found some magic 6BZ7 for your tastes in the Vali, and the ability to use those in Mjolnir 2 would be a positive.

My apologies, as this isn't so much a definitive answer one way or the other...just hoping to give you food for thought!

Full disclosure, I don't own Jotunheim (or Mjolnir 2) myself, but I do own Mjolnir 1 (and waaaayyy too much other Schiit).

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #61,813 of 150,555
Hey guys,

Looking for some suggestions/help. Currently have a Vali2 headamp , Marantz HD-DAC1 dac/amp, with Hifiman Sundara and AQ Nighthawk headphones. I can't decide on my next Balanced amp purchase, but narrowed it down to Jotenheim or Mjolinar 2...

From my Post #61,629:
"HiFiMan Sundara & HE400i from open box sale arrived.
Sundara replaces the HE 560 v2 balanced into the Mjolinar 2 from Gungnir MB Unison -> iMac (ripped Apple Lossless) stack.
Mjolinar 2 running ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo - June 1961; HE 560 & Sundara are very nice from them.
However - Rolling time again.
Rolled to adapted 396A Western Electric - NOS - 1976. Previously the Western Electric, had been the front pair in Valhalla 2; worked nicely with Sennheiser HD650.
In the Mjolinar 2 they sucked the life out of the Sundara.
Now 6N23P Voskhod Rocket - 1971; Sundara back alive again, rivals the ECC88 Mullard.
Going to stay here a bit to determine if it is a keeper setup."

I also have Beyerdynamic T1v2 and Sennheiser HD650 which I run ballanced from the Mjolinar 2. The T1 and HiFiMan seem to like the same tubes. I use different tubes for the Sennheiser.
I also have a Jotunheim running single ended from the Gungnir MB. It is a great amp. With the mentioned headphones, in this system, I prefer the Mjolinar 2.
A Cambridge CXC CD spinner is an alternate source for the Gungnir MB. Same conclusions.
JMTC & YMMV

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #61,814 of 150,555
And Chris Farley won't be able to play him in the biopic. Tragedy...

Brian_D.jpeg + Chris_Farley.jpg = Rob Ford.jpg

Brian Dennehy + Chris Farley = Rob Ford
...I’m being eaten alive here on the woodlot (by various summertime bloodsuckers). Heatwave too... and I see this. Damn you, @Roy G. Biv :ksc75smile:

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #61,815 of 150,555
Many folks in this thread would say Jotunheim is an amazing amp, let alone amazing value. Its affordable enough (especially with the B-stock Bonanza(tm) still underway), so why not pick one up and just start enjoying it?

As for Mjolnir 2, I have no hard evidence of this, but it seems to be one of the older products in the line-up, and my HOPE is that a Mjolnir 3 is coming using 6SN7 coherence/continuity (i.e. balanced version of Lyr3). However, maybe you have already found some magic 6BZ7 for your tastes in the Vali, and the ability to use those in Mjolnir 2 would be a positive.

My apologies, as this isn't so much a definitive answer one way or the other...just hoping to give you food for thought!

Full disclosure, I don't own Jotunheim (or Mjolnir 2) myself, but I do own Mjolnir 1 (and waaaayyy too much other Schiit).
My brain tells me that my Valhalla 2 and Asgard 2 make up a combined, virtual Mjolnir X.X . My heart says NAHHH. Buy that too. No. No. No. I don’t need balanced outputs/inputs. When we eventually move up here to the North Bruce, the EMI will be even lower than it is now at our home base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back