Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #58,846 of 150,654
But none of the DACs have volume controls so feeding them to a power amp still needs a preamp somewhere. Schiit do make headphone amps which have DAC modules but they only have a single digital input and don’t offer the same flexibility as a digital preamp.

Which begs another question... Has anyone tried putting two dac cards into the Ragnarok?

May 5, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #58,847 of 150,654
May 5, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #58,848 of 150,654
May 5, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #58,849 of 150,654
RE: Digital pre-amp
I don't know who started this discussion but they are right that nothing like what they are envisioning exists. However, very slight variations do exist.

If you look at any AV Pre/Receiver you'll find plenty of digital inputs which can be switched. You can even switch them back to digital and/or pre-out (line level) if you want to bypass the attenuation completely. At that point you've got 2 solutions in one box: A digital switcher / converter and a DAC with multiple inputs.

Now, a "pre" generally means it provides attenuation which means it has "volume control". This can be done on the digital or the analog side. Without attenuation it is just a switcher; like an HDMI switcher. This isn't a popular thing which is why there is limited options.

What, I believe, someone is asking for is a switcher which has multiple USB, Coax, optical, etc. etc. in. But how many? How many USB IN are needed? How many coax? Then, is this simply a switcher / format changer? What is the output and what format is it? Unison USB?

Do you want / need analog out? Does it need attenuation? If yes, now we're back to an AV pre/receiver with multiple digital inputs. I just don't know of anything that provides more than 1 USB input. Again, plenty provide multiple coax and optical inputs.

Anyway, I think such a product lives in a niche market within an already niche market. Certainly not something I'd expect to sell at scale. I, personally, just don't have enough digital sources because my "switching" is occurring within software at that point (swapping Spotify for Tidal as example not MacBook 1 with MacBook 2). I'm not trying to feed a DAC with multiple USB cables. I'm feeding a network connected USB thing from multiple network connected sources; no USB cable swap needed.

May 5, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #58,854 of 150,654
Anyway, I think such a product lives in a niche market within an already niche market. Certainly not something I'd expect to sell at scale. I, personally, just don't have enough digital sources because my "switching" is occurring within software at that point (swapping Spotify for Tidal as example not MacBook 1 with MacBook 2). I'm not trying to feed a DAC with multiple USB cables. I'm feeding a network connected USB thing from multiple network connected sources; no USB cable swap needed.

I think the idea is once the Schiit transport is released people will have multiple USB devices they want to hook up, your MacBook and your Schiit transport, so they are hoping either the transport has a USB passthrough or there's a good digital switcher they can connect both to.

May 5, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #58,856 of 150,654
I don't understand what you're describing. Schiit makes many products that have multiple digital ins, decode them, and feed them to a power amp.
Digital in, digital out.

May 5, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #58,857 of 150,654
I don't know who started this discussion but they are right that nothing like what they are envisioning exists. However, very slight variations do exist.

If you look at any AV Pre/Receiver you'll find plenty of digital inputs which can be switched. You can even switch them back to digital and/or pre-out (line level) if you want to bypass the attenuation completely. At that point you've got 2 solutions in one box: A digital switcher / converter and a DAC with multiple inputs.

Now, a "pre" generally means it provides attenuation which means it has "volume control". This can be done on the digital or the analog side. Without attenuation it is just a switcher; like an HDMI switcher. This isn't a popular thing which is why there is limited options.

What, I believe, someone is asking for is a switcher which has multiple USB, Coax, optical, etc. etc. in. But how many? How many USB IN are needed? How many coax? Then, is this simply a switcher / format changer? What is the output and what format is it? Unison USB?

Do you want / need analog out? Does it need attenuation? If yes, now we're back to an AV pre/receiver with multiple digital inputs. I just don't know of anything that provides more than 1 USB input. Again, plenty provide multiple coax and optical inputs.

Well, I blurted something out which immediately regretted. Mike's been talking about clocks, and reclocking, and coming out with something that will make use of the single USB input in his DACs, while many folks here have USB out solutions, why wouldn't he want to accommodate such systems? If a person with a high end USB out streamer doesn't mind changing the cable between sources, understandable. But if he can indulge what I think isn't an insignificant market by passing through, or making better whatever comes out of our computers or lower end USB streamers, and in the process not make us change cables, I'd be for it. But of course, I'm merely musing/wishful thinking. Also, don't know if a DAC will be needed to recheck and/or pass through signal, I'm technically illiterate. Again, already regret writing that.

May 6, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #58,858 of 150,654
Another issue I heard was that the Schitt DAC's muting relay tends to click whenever the Transport (not every brand, but many brands) switches songs, which could be annoying.

Cheers.
Not once has this been an issue with my Oppo (coax spdif out) > Modi Multibit. I'm curious which transports cause the issue.

Ok, so I believe I've determined the cause of this. I was finally paying enough attention to notice one of the tracks. After some checking it's just the DAC resetting because it's switching between sample rates.

May 6, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #58,859 of 150,654

Well, home theatre is not exactly a niche market, but you've described my confusion. There are many HT preamps out there, most of them costing north of $3000 (except the emotive basx). But I've never seen one that only does audio. And of course Jason is adamant they're not going to do home theatre, other than that anyone can buy lots of their power amps if they want.

But none I have seen have more than one USB input, so that part is right - there don't seem to be any preamps set up for more than one USB source.

I agree the market for that will be super small - limited almost exclusively to Schiit customers with a USB-source-to-Unison DAC who also want a USB transport. (None of which exist, afaik, and only one of which has been implied (note -- Schiit has not announced the transport yet)).

So based on that thought, putting a USB passthrough on the transport suddenly makes sense. You can plug your music source into the transport, then use the transport remote to choose which source to feed to your Unison DAC. And really only Schiit customers would need that, since only one of their products could have two USB ins, and even that is an unconfirmed rumour.

May 6, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #58,860 of 150,654
not sure that Ragnarok 2 can accommodate two multibit DAC modules, but maybe could fit one Multibit and one D/S 4490 dual DAC module. the multibit modules sit horizontally, IIRC.

That could give those with audio nervosa a way to easily compare which DAC sounds better to them... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back