Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #58,817 of 150,730
The setup includes Source > USB --> Bifrost + Yggy --> two headphone amps. Would you all have any idea how I can output USB from a PC into both DACs so that we can each have our own dac + amp/volume control?
Stereo Mix doesn't seem like a valid solution since it always seems to output into HDMI
You can certainly run two separate music players, each outputting to a different USB audio (on different ports).

However, I guess you're asking about running a single music player and making it output simultaneously to two separate USB audio devices. Take a look at this (I have not tried it myself): https://appuals.com/output-audio-multiple-devices-windows-10/

What do you mean by "Stereo Mix doesn't seem like a valid solution since it always seems to output into HDMI"?

May 5, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #58,818 of 150,730
Gentlemen,
I'm inviting a hypothetical woman over to my place. The setup includes Source > USB --> Bifrost + Yggy --> two headphone amps. Would you all have any idea how I can output USB from a PC into both DACs so that we can each have our own dac + amp/volume control?
Stereo Mix doesn't seem like a valid solution since it always seems to output into HDMI
Two Roon endpoints grouped together in a single zone. If you don't have Roon subscription they do offer 14 day free trial

May 5, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #58,820 of 150,730
Jason wrote once about the possibility of making class D sound decent with exotic fast switching transistors. Is that "digital"?
PS: Sort of joking here, but operating at very fast switching speeds you could get rid of pulse-width modulation and just use a fixed pulse width digital rate code and integration. It's kind of how (most of) our neurons work, anyway...
is that gallium nitride exotic?

May 5, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #58,821 of 150,730
Gentlemen,
I'm inviting a hypothetical woman over to my place. The setup includes Source > USB --> Bifrost + Yggy --> two headphone amps. Would you all have any idea how I can output USB from a PC into both DACs so that we can each have our own dac + amp/volume control?
On a Mac, you can use the audio/midi control panel to make a combined device so multiple DACs get output together. Not sure if that exists on Windows natively. Roon also has that capability

May 5, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #58,822 of 150,730
5May.png

May 5, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #58,823 of 150,730
Ah, USB pass through, that's a good idea!
Then it could be somewhat like digital pre?

edit: pass though --> pass through

2019 Oct 8 - Les Strat
(bold added)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-617#post-14527589
Mike Moffat posted back in May this year ( #7737) that he might create a digital preamp. Extract below:

'So my next wet dream is (how do you describe it??) a digital preamp or a “Swiss Army Knife”. This would have every common socket at the input, such as USB, coax, etc. Maybe BitWordData (BWD) to hook up with a transport. It would have at least coax and maybe BWD out as well. It would be mandatory that we have De-Jitter/re-clocking as well...'

That would be cool
1588682769164.gif

I could be buying a new CD transport and a digital preamp from Schiit...

May 5, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #58,824 of 150,730
At some point, Mike wrote he was exploring the idea of an all-digital preamp, You could imagine multiple digital inputs, including several USB Unison ones, and a good selection of digital outputs.
That may be a fine idea but it is not something I'd want. If I were to get the Schiit transport, I would simply want a way to connect my laptop and the transport to my Yggdrasil's USB input. Assuming Unison USB is the preferred output on the transport.

May 5, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #58,825 of 150,730
You know what would be fun? A trial of the Magni 3+ vs Heresy among a group of Schitts who can do a/b testing. What switch would be required that is not too expensive? I wanna know if you golden ears can hear the difference. I'll pay Schitt for the gear if there's interest (and a moderator to organize it). Hopefully there will be someone who wants to buy one of the samples at the end; if not, that's fine too. I'll list one. I do want to keep one I think, unless I move up to Asgard for SS.

May 5, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #58,826 of 150,730
You know what would be fun? A trial of the Magni 3+ vs Heresy among a group of Schitts who can do a/b testing. What switch would be required that is not too expensive? I wanna know if you golden ears can hear the difference. I'll pay Schitt for the gear if there's interest (and a moderator to organize it). Hopefully there will be someone who wants to buy one of the samples at the end; if not, that's fine too. I'll list one. I do want to keep one I think, unless I move up to Asgard for SS.
This might be of interest:
Preamp Thunderdome at the Schiitr
https://audio-head.com/a-four-way-schiit-shootout-freya-s-vs-saga-s/

May 5, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #58,827 of 150,730
May 5, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #58,829 of 150,730
2019 Oct 8 - Les Strat
(bold added)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-617#post-14527589
Mike Moffat posted back in May this year ( #7737) that he might create a digital preamp. Extract below:

'So my next wet dream is (how do you describe it??) a digital preamp or a “Swiss Army Knife”. This would have every common socket at the input, such as USB, coax, etc. Maybe BitWordData (BWD) to hook up with a transport. It would have at least coax and maybe BWD out as well. It would be mandatory that we have De-Jitter/re-clocking as well...'

That would be cool .

I could be buying a new CD transport and a digital preamp from Schiit...

It would be very cool! I could be a buying CD Transport and digital preamp too...… and the Unison USB upgrade for my Yggy A2 :beyersmile:

May 5, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #58,830 of 150,730
It is a 4 input USB B-connector input[the same as on the back of the DAC], and one USB A-connector{like you find on a PC]; and it is designed for bidirectional data flow. The KVM switch should have type A connectors and a pigtail output.
And my model is

4-poorts-usb-2.0-schakelaar-uitgang-1-x-usb-a-female.jpg

And it still sound like ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back