Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #58,803 of 151,178
Living as I do in Amazon's 'back yard', their corporate and civic behavior is abhorent.
They bankrupt new hires, they squeeze government for 'special treatment', they are draconian in the work place rules and practices.

They are GREED Inc.

And to top it off, look into Bozos (Bezos), it's not pretty.

JJ

May 4, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #58,804 of 151,178
I suspect that Schiit has had multiple internal discussions about combining the transport with digital pre, upsampler module, etc., but that creates a never-ending feature set. So they probably decided to limit the feature set: a transport with some read-ahead buffering, at least one pass thru USB input, and perhaps some secret internal expansion slots, so that they can actually freeze the design and make a shippable product.

May 4, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #58,807 of 151,178
I definitely want this product. I will need the Unison USB on the transport to support a pass through from my music server (Windows 10 laptop) to my Yggdrasil's USB.
At some point, Mike wrote he was exploring the idea of an all-digital preamp, You could imagine multiple digital inputs, including several USB Unison ones, and a good selection of digital outputs.

May 4, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #58,809 of 151,178
At some point, Mike wrote he was exploring the idea of an all-digital preamp, You could imagine multiple digital inputs, including several USB Unison ones, and a good selection of digital outputs.

that sounds like a separate device, with 1 ea USB, AES/EBU, toslink, coaxial, plus some additional input module options ( 2x USB or 1 each toslink & coax S/PDIF). remote source selection.

May 4, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #58,811 of 151,178
Then is Mike also exploring digital power amps?
Jason wrote once about the possibility of making class D sound decent with exotic fast switching transistors. Is that "digital"?
PS: Sort of joking here, but operating at very fast switching speeds you could get rid of pulse-width modulation and just use a fixed pulse width digital rate code and integration. It's kind of how (most of) our neurons work, anyway...

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #58,812 of 151,178
May 5, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #58,814 of 151,178
Gentlemen,
I'm inviting a hypothetical woman over to my place. The setup includes Source > USB --> Bifrost + Yggy --> two headphone amps. Would you all have any idea how I can output USB from a PC into both DACs so that we can each have our own dac + amp/volume control?
Stereo Mix doesn't seem like a valid solution since it always seems to output into HDMI

May 5, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #58,815 of 151,178
Gentlemen,
I'm inviting a hypothetical woman over to my place. The setup includes Source > USB --> Bifrost + Yggy --> two headphone amps. Would you all have any idea how I can output USB from a PC into both DACs so that we can each have our own dac + amp/volume control?
Stereo Mix doesn't seem like a valid solution since it always seems to output into HDMI

why not a 'Y' splitter between output of one DAC feeding both of the headphone amps?

have you tried using a USB hub between PC and the two DACs?
disclaimer: I don't have two USB DACs so have never tried this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back