Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 20, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #58,441 of 153,261
I'm loving the performance of the Freya S very much, how it integrates with the Vidars and my DAC, and its ability to handle Balanced and Single-Ended seamlessly too. I'm very happy with the Audiolab transport after considering other good reviews and not being very interested in the other current options (looks, feature set, & $$$). Very good build quality. Solid remote. I actually love the heavy duty slot loader and the read-ahead buffer has allowed it to play any CD I've thrown at it. Excellent value. I feel it is a good match with my DAC and the Schiit gear. Streaming or CD playback - It is all sounding mighty fine!

Thanks very much Steve PNW, and to all the others who have replied, saying how much they like their Freya S.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #58,442 of 153,261
Thanks very much Steve PNW, and to all the others who have replied, saying how much they like their Freya S.

Please allow me to add my voice to the choir as well. I've used tubed preamps in my system for over 30 years. I love my Freya S, and do not find myself wanting for more.

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #58,443 of 153,261
Well done, the one poster on this thread that's actually relevant :wink:

We all come here for the noise anyway.

As long as it's euphonic second harmonic noise, mind you. We don't want any of that harsh third harmonic stuff here.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #58,445 of 153,261
Please allow me to add my voice to the choir as well. I've used tubed preamps in my system for over 30 years. I love my Freya S, and do not find myself wanting for more.

Love mine as well. I have had more expensive stuff but wouldn't trade my Freya S for any of them.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #58,446 of 153,261
Speaking of pleasant distortion, I'm breaking in a new EH 6922 in my Vali 2. I'm enjoying the differences so far. Vali 2 is totally earning her keep! Fun and inexpensive way to dip my toe in the tube rolling world. I spent 2 years on the stock tube and finally decided to try something different. Glad I did! I've been itching for an Asgard 3, but this $15 tube might just save my wallet from spending $199 for now....
IMG_20200420_134331.jpg

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #58,447 of 153,261
@Jason Stoddard in one of your older posts from years back, you mentioned that Gen 5 modules are physically different for Bifrost / gungnir vs Yggdrasil, plus different firmware for Bifrost / Gungnir multibit vs non-multibit. does the same hold true for Unison? can a Bifrost Multibit (OG) unison be used in a Yggdrasil GS, for instance?

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #58,448 of 153,261
I also love my Freya S, particularly the Nexus 4X gain setting.
that’s my setting 90% of the time, rarely in passive; for some lean clean cello music from Pieter Wispelwey (J S BACH - SOLO CELLO SUITES) the passive works great too.

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #58,449 of 153,261
that’s my setting 90% of the time, rarely in passive; for some lean clean cello music from Pieter Wispelwey (J S BACH - SOLO CELLO SUITES) the passive works great too.
I'm usually on 1x active, mostly playing rock, so there's still plenty of gain. And with active on the Freya S, it doesn't matter which source, SE or Balanced, the pair of Vidars are fed balanced signal. With my OG Freya, I had to use the tube stage to get vinyl to a balanced signal.

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #58,450 of 153,261
Well its been quiet for awhile. Any update on how y'all are doing over at Schiit, Jason?

Not much has changed. Hanging in there. Best to keep our heads down while this situation works itself out.

@Jason Stoddard in one of your older posts from years back, you mentioned that Gen 5 modules are physically different for Bifrost / gungnir vs Yggdrasil, plus different firmware for Bifrost / Gungnir multibit vs non-multibit. does the same hold true for Unison? can a Bifrost Multibit (OG) unison be used in a Yggdrasil GS, for instance?

Unison cards are the same, but are programmed to report as the unit name, so it will report incorrectly, but work fine.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 21, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #58,451 of 153,261
I'm loving the performance of the Freya S very much, how it integrates with the Vidars and my DAC, and its ability to handle Balanced and Single-Ended seamlessly too. I'm very happy with the Audiolab transport after considering other good reviews and not being very interested in the other current options (looks, feature set, & $$$). Very good build quality. Solid remote. I actually love the heavy duty slot loader and the read-ahead buffer has allowed it to play any CD I've thrown at it. Excellent value. I feel it is a good match with my DAC and the Schiit gear. Streaming or CD playback - It is all sounding mighty fine!

Thanks again Steve PNW.
At the risk of opening a can of worms, how do you find CD playback on the Audiolab 6000CDT compares with streaming?
I ask, as I currently have no CD transport. I use Qobuz at 16/44.1 for most of my listening, but Mike Moffat has always maintained that CD remains the best way to replay digital, provided of course, that the Transport and DAC are engineered right!
The Yggy A2 is a fantastic DAC and I have no doubt the Schiit CDT will be brilliantly engineered too...

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #58,452 of 153,261

I'm think I'm becoming a Bach Solo Cello Suites addict. Thanks to your rec, I'm adding yet another version to my collection. I'm becoming one of those people - "Do you really need 5 different copies of the same thing?" - "Yep".

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #58,454 of 153,261
I'm think I'm becoming a Bach Solo Cello Suites addict. Thanks to your rec, I'm adding yet another version to my collection. I'm becoming one of those people - "Do you really need 5 different copies of the same thing?" - "Yep".

OK, so how does the Pieter Wispelwey recording compare to the classic Janos Starker Starkos Mercury recording? I guess we can keep things J. Gordon Holt simple: why do you prefer the performance you prefer, and what is outstanding about the recording you prefer? I like to listen to these to remind myself the range a cello is capable of.

I suppose, if you can't pick a favorite, you should still chime in and say which Schiit you prefer to listen to each version with.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #58,455 of 153,261
OK, so how does the Pieter Wispelwey recording compare to the classic Janos Starkos Mercury recording? I guess we can keep things J. Gordon Holt simple: why do you prefer the performance you prefer, and what is outstanding about the recording you prefer? I like to listen to these to remind myself the range a cello is capable of.

I suppose, if you can't pick a favorite, you should still chime in and say which Schiit you prefer to listen to each version with.

I'm just one of the unwashed masses, and no expert, but here goes.

I started with the Pablo Casals version after remembering an NPR story comparing Robert Johnson's famous blues album to Casal's Cello suites (recorded at Abbey Road). Both were apparently recorded on the same day. Quite a day for music.

The Casals version is notable (I believe) for being the first to popularize the suites. I find it a bit sterile/clinical, but you have to respect the OG. Also a bit of a trip down memory lane with tape hiss.

The Yo-Yo Ma version I find to be much more emotional and expressive. Heck, I'm man enough to admit that in the right mood, it can (almost) make me cry.

I am not familiar with the Starkos version you mention.

I've got the Wispelwey version on order, so I haven't listened to anything other than some of the sound bites on the Amazon page. One of the amazon reviews says it is hushed and organic, with no vibrato, almost meditative, and close mic'd to the point of hearing his fingering/fretwork. From my sampling of the sound bites, I can see this.

FWIW, there's a Vox Earworm video I highly recommend, breaking down the Suite No. 1 Prelude ("that cello song")

As far as which schiit gear.... put a tube in their for the Cello. My favorite is the Bifrost (OG) multibit into a vali2/stock tube, but I'm sure others have better Schiit tubes for this.

EDIT: I had to go and find a copy of the Starker version now, too. You guys are a bad influence on me :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back