Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 22, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #57,766 of 150,657
For those with audio nervosa about where the volume is set, now you can close your eyes, adjust for best listening pleasure, then stick the arrow on at 12 o'clock, and live happily ever after.

Mark preferred listening level at 12 o’clock? That’s a nice idea, I rather like that. :slight_smile:

My personal system is, if it's too loud, turn it down. If it's not loud enough, turn it up.

Yeah, that’s how I usually do it too, but I like to check the volume dial before I play something that could be louder as not to blast my ears and then turn it down.. :wink: Mostly this is after watching Netflix and going to the music library. The little dot works fine in daylight, but in the evening it’s near invisible to my eyes.

Mar 22, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #57,767 of 150,657
Yeah, that’s how I usually do it too, but I like to check the volume dial before I play something that could be louder as not to blast my ears and then turn it down.. :wink: Mostly this is after watching Netflix and going to the music library. The little dot works fine in daylight, but in the evening it’s near invisible to my eyes.

Wait!!! There are dots!!??? :smirk:

Mar 22, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #57,768 of 150,657
Sol is up and running! I had a pretty gnarly hum when I switched to the phono input, consulted the manual and it got better when I moved the ground away from the power wire going to Sol but not good enough, disconnected the ground and BAM dead silent! Stevie Ray is serenading me right now and it's quite nice!

Mar 22, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #57,769 of 150,657
Mar 22, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #57,770 of 150,657
My Sol has arrived as well. Spent the morning getting it set up. I agree with @yonson -- setup has been seamless. I did swap out the EN stylus for the ML, but other than that I haven't had to tweak much of anything at all.

Listening to the Steven Wilson remix of Fragile by Yes. Damn, this is light years ahead of the turntables I had from my youth.

Well done, Schitt!

PS: Thankfully, I didn't have any issue with hum. (Found an AudioQuest Saturn GroundGoody at a big discount and used that.)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #57,771 of 150,657
Sol is up and running! I had a pretty gnarly hum when I switched to the phono input, consulted the manual and it got better when I moved the ground away from the power wire going to Sol but not good enough, disconnected the ground and BAM dead silent! Stevie Ray is serenading me right now and it's quite nice!

Whew. I was concerned that paramedics might need called when you "took a lunch break" in the middle of setting up a brand new audio toy, but glad to hear all is well. :)

Mar 22, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #57,772 of 150,657
My Sol has arrived as well. Spent the morning getting it set up. I agree with @yonson -- setup has been seamless. I did swap out the EN stylus for the ML, but other than that I haven't had to tweak much of anything at all.

Listening to the Steven Wilson remix of Fragile by Yes. Damn, this is light years ahead of the turntables I had from my youth.

Well done, Schitt!

PS: Thankfully, I didn't have any issue with hum. (Found an AudioQuest Saturn GroundGoody at a big discount and used that.)

That's the same ground wire I have, the one I have on my Pro-ject works fine. But hey if I don't need it at all I can just send it back :) I have that album in my cart, just haven't purchased it yet. I went from SRV to Nektars A Tab in the Ocean. I'm going to see how I like the EN before I swap to the more expensive styli, I did order a C and E for my less than perfect albums though.

Whew. I was concerned that paramedics might need called when you "took a lunch break" in the middle of setting up a brand new audio toy, but glad to hear all is well. :)

Well, I watched the video last week and I couldn't remember what was done with the anti-skate so I wanted to reference the video again, and I choked down a hot pocket while watching it. From start to finish even including the break and dicking around with trying to get some feet I had to work, and installing an audio technica safety riser (which by far took the longest time, but works SO much nicer than the Q up even though it is quite it bit more expensive) it took less than 2 hours.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #57,773 of 150,657
Social Distancing.png

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #57,775 of 150,657
I LOVE bagpipe music, and pipe & drum bands.

It's also absolutely great to be playing Scotland the Brave and other marching tunes, as loud as possible, in your vehicle with the windows open, as you blast down the highway. Makes you feel ALIVE !!!

(disclaimer: we all have our little personal permutations &/or quirks.)

However, it does seem to a genre that's hard to record well. Either the drums lack slam, or the pipes are feeble, or both. Might have something to do with the fact that this is not really indoor music. Any suggestions are welcome. (Maybe by PM, we have enough recurring sub-themes here already.)

Mar 23, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #57,778 of 150,657

Users who are viewing this thread

Back