Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #56,776 of 149,328
So it is almost here and my Freya S is travelling a lot. From US to The Netherlands, then Belgium and Spain, now it is in Portugal like a 30 min drive from me but they did not drop it off yet …. will it be or after the weekend … WoW what a thing to get Schiit at home:ksc75smile:
Big advantage you don't to burn it in anymore.
The unit already burned a lot of mileage. It's almost worn out once it reaches you. :beyersmile:
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #56,777 of 149,328
I will state that I am pretty sure that the Hel microphone input is mono, while the Jil handled stereo.

According to the FAQ it's stereo:

So why would I spend $90 more on this than Fulla 3?
Because you want more power or flexibility. Hel delivers 4x the power of Fulla 3, it has a gain switch for harder-to-drive or more sensitive headphones, it has a switchable analog input, and it has front-panel adjustable microphone gain and a stereo mic input. If any of those features are important, it might be worth $90 more than Fulla 3 for your needs.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #56,778 of 149,328
According to the FAQ it's stereo:

So why would I spend $90 more on this than Fulla 3?
Because you want more power or flexibility. Hel delivers 4x the power of Fulla 3, it has a gain switch for harder-to-drive or more sensitive headphones, it has a switchable analog input, and it has front-panel adjustable microphone gain and a stereo mic input. If any of those features are important, it might be worth $90 more than Fulla 3 for your needs.

Stereo Hel

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #56,780 of 149,328
... to really gain traction on all your needs going forward.

Yeah..!
Right..?
Irony aside, i'm not shy, so i'll ask; does this BS mean something in plain English? :)

* As to the blog itself, since i'm at it, might as well.
Am not a Schiit customer and probably won't ever be one; i am however impressed with how you've handled business and the steps you've taken to get folks interested. Well, well done; and cunningly too, if i'm being honest; quite cunningly.. all those years in marketing, they sure seem to have paid off. Mostly impressive though.
From the units themselves, to how they're advertised, to the very thinking behind them (and how that is best communicated), you teach lessons a lot of companies will be heeding. Worthy of mention this.
And from my perspective, worrying as well. Because past a certain point, measure and substance become secondary. But as that may be my cynical side, i'll leave that out!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #56,781 of 149,328
Yeah..!
Right..?
Irony aside, i'm not shy, so i'll ask; does this BS mean something in plain English? :)

* As to the blog itself, since i'm at it, might as well.
Am not a Schiit customer and probably won't ever be one; i am however impressed with how you've handled business and the steps you've taken to get folks interested. Well, well done; and cunningly too, if i'm being honest; quite cunningly.. all those years in marketing, they sure seem to have paid off. Mostly impressive though.
From the units themselves, to how they're advertised, to the very thinking behind them (and how that is best communicated), you teach lessons a lot of companies will be heeding. Worthy of mention this.
And from my perspective, worrying as well. Because past a certain point, measure and substance become secondary. But as that may be my cynical side, i'll leave that out!

Just a little tongue in cheek...

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #56,783 of 149,328
Just a little tongue in cheek...
"Back-handed compliment."

Must one post twice? First to compliment on one aspect and yet again to state his reluctancy/skepticism on another? Or does one rule out the other?

They've done an exceptional, truly impressive job in setting this whole thing up, from the ground no less, in maintaning and expanding it. Compliments where they are due.
Now if on a personal level, i separate the business side of things from everything else, whom exactly do i offend?

I don't appreciate over-simplifying; plenty of shades between black and white.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #56,784 of 149,328
2020, Chapter 2
The E-Commerce Shakedown

And the sales-y platform that we told to give us pricing or we’re out? They gave us pricing. It’s not ruinous, but we were up-front with them about how their supadry supasalesy vibe boned them out of an easy deal. We told them that we were now looking at multiple platforms, that the evaluation period would be long and competitive, and if they wanted to throw their hat in the ring, they’d start showing us some examples of sites that live and die by ecommerce.

To their credit, they did everything they could to salvage the relationship, apologizing for their approach and giving us the examples we asked for.

But we’ll see. I’m not counting out any approach yet. If we can tweak the site to where we want it to be, we’ll probably keep going down that path. But who knows? We already talked to another platform today that was much more forthcoming on price…and more positive about keeping everything we want intact…and was much cheaper.

In any case, I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into the world of e-commerce—a much more sales-y and corporate sphere than I would have guessed.

Reading your tales restores my sanity. It illustrates that I'm not as mad and grumpy (well maybe grumpy) as I think I am sometimes when dealing with the crap of life and vey modest business.

The last month of refinancing the mortgage, planning for a car lease end and looking at a new car have all convinced me that the world is mad, that nobody is interested in the customer or - especially - in doing simple straightforward sales job. Actually, a couple have done OK, but they are by far the minority.........

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #56,786 of 149,328
Yeah..!
Right..?

Nah!, it's mostly (all?) schiit talk, corporate BS. Just having some fun. I work in an environment where it's rife. Drives me crazy. Why not just be honest, open and upfront - Just like Jason and team?

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #56,787 of 149,328
The difference between a private and public company. :)

Exactly. Serving the customer versus serving the company. Fortunately (for my mentality) the majority of my work life has been with private companies.

Feb 15, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #56,788 of 149,328
This is a great discussion.

I have managed to get my system to the point that I prefer it over most live performances. But, it is not that live instruments don't sound better. It is just that most venues chosen for live performances aren't very good, acoustically.

Or they are destroyed acoustically by electronic "sound reinforcement". Why is the word force hiding in reinforcement? I was at a concert at Carnegie Hall...well it's been a while ago now. Maybe 25 years. It was a Brazilian big band. Why the hell someone decided a big band needed "reinforcement" in Carnegie Hall is the first and most important question that was apparently never asked and answered. I was in a balcony seat on the side, a good enough seat for an acoustic presentation. But with reinforcement the sound was a cacophony. No one else in the group I was with seemed to notice it. They were not audiophiles. Score one for audiophiles :)

Then after tolerating this assault on aesthetic experience for a while I noticed something. There was one clear sound, a faint rhythmic percussive sound, clear as a bell in fact. Now that I had noticed, it stuck out like a sore thumb. I thought that's odd, what's that? I looked for it, eventually I saw the source of it, one musician of 20 some odd was tapping his foot on the stage floor in rhythm. No microphone was near that foot.

These days it's worse, the live music version of the loudness wars is upon us. Every channel of the live sound mix board has to be pegged making it not only painful but dangerous. How is it we come collectively to these points of complete stupidity? The infernal question...

Feb 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #56,789 of 149,328
How is it we come collectively to these points of complete stupidity?
It's to make sure the live experience matches the deafening mush most listeners, with their hearing damaged from decades of listening to with earbuds/cheap headphones/amplitude-compressed sound, expect... One of the most frustrating live experiences is having a live show in an acoustically fantastic venue destroyed by over-amplification. And one of the best is the opposite: this week, we went to two radically different live shows in terms of music and venue: Tim Berne and Matt Mitchell "Angel Dusk" duo at the very small, funky Art Boutiki (the back room of a comic bookstore); and this at Stanford's Bing hall. In both cases, healthy sound levels, beautiful clarity, total engagement with the music, very little amplification getting in the way where we were sitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back