Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #55,441 of 151,243
Obviously for Freya there is "OG", Freya S, and Freya +. calling it Gungnir Multibit OG implies that there is another version?

Well there is also the rumored Gen 2 Analog for Gungnir. There was a major serial number change and many believe it was the inclusion on Analog v2 for Gungnir. To my knowledge this is unconfirmed by Schiit, but I wouldn't be surprised if when they launch Unison for Gungnir they also launch A2 upgrade.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #55,442 of 151,243
if you are using USB sources significantly, you might want to contact Schiit to see if Gen 5 can be user installed on Gungnir (Unison for Gungnir requires the unit to be shipped back for a firmware update)
Yes, it is user installable, although it is not an easy reassembly.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #55,443 of 151,243
It would be funny to throw a Vali 2 in the mix, since it has literally 1000x the distortion of the Heresy, and actually may have THD above the level of some transducers. I don't know if that can happen for Thursday, but it can certainly happen at some point in the future.

We can do all sorts of crazy blind tests--someone suggested Modi 3 vs Yggdrasil. Why not? I personally think it would be hilarious if Modi 3 won. Again, though, not this Thursday, we can do it at some point in the future.

And yes, a "I can't tell the difference" is a valid result in a blind test. It's even funnier if we use the same amp, DAC, or preamp for both "A" and "B" and people DO hear a difference. That can happen too.

Seriously. I think it would be a GREAT idea to have one device, regardless of what is being tested that day, that is markedly subpar (or superior for that matter) than the other contenders. If you document what the deficiencies are, you can then use it as sort of a benchmark to reference the other equipment against. It would give people such as myself who have no idea what they're listening to some idea of what other people are talking about. For example, when someone says something like "this headphone sounds so spacious" you could have another that sounds just the opposite for comparison. Just a thought.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #55,444 of 151,243
Almost certain Bifrost 2 has an op-amp based output stage and isn’t Nexus-based, or its product page would most certainly highlight that.

I reckon what was meant by Bifrost 2 having better SE than Gungnir/Yggdrasil is that the latter are said to have significantly better performance from their XLR outs compared to SE, whereas the Bifrost 2 is said to be more consistent across the two. Such, at least, is my understanding.

Jason confirmed on another forum that Bifrost 2 output is differential op amp based (LME49724). Completely different from Bifrost MB/Gungnir MB/Yggdrasil. Here is a picture of the boards:

Bifrostboards.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #55,445 of 151,243
Almost certain Bifrost 2 has an op-amp based output stage and isn’t Nexus-based, or its product page would most certainly highlight that.

I reckon what was meant by Bifrost 2 having better SE than Gungnir/Yggdrasil is that the latter are said to have significantly better performance from their XLR outs compared to SE, whereas the Bifrost 2 is said to be more consistent across the two. Such, at least, is my understanding.

That's because Gungnir and Yggdrasil are hardware balanced, and then summed for the single ended outputs. Bifrost 2 is not hardware balanced.

Honestly I don't buy that garbage that the SE outputs on the two higher priced Schiit DACs are "gimped". Granted I may not have the most resolving setup to notice the difference, but I think it has generated waaaaaaaay too much audiophile nervosa where people are adding transformers from a balanced connection and stuff.

YMMV of course...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #55,446 of 151,243
That's because Gungnir and Yggdrasil are hardware balanced, and then summed for the single ended outputs. Bifrost 2 is not hardware balanced.

Honestly I don't buy that garbage that the SE outputs on the two higher priced Schiit DACs are "gimped". Granted I may not have the most resolving setup to notice the difference, but I think it has generated waaaaaaaay too much audiophile nervosa where people are adding transformers from a balanced connection and stuff.

YMMV of course...
I have compared the subjective sound quality (to my ears) of the balanced and single-ended outputs from Yggdrasil and there is no notable difference. There is a level difference of course, but they sound the same.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #55,448 of 151,243
I have compared the subjective sound quality (to my ears) of the balanced and single-ended outputs from Yggdrasil and there is no notable difference. There is a level difference of course, but they sound the same.
With me it is Gungnir MB, same subjective results.

Edit - IMHO & YMMV

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #55,450 of 151,243

YMMV of course...
I do have resolving enough gears and I can confirm the SE output of Bifrost 2 is better than Yggdrasil's. I had been using the big boy at work for months with a Lyr 3 and swapping it for the Bifrost 2 was a clear improvement.

The Yggdrasil A2 was better than the Bifrost 2 with balanced outputs.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #55,452 of 151,243
Has anyone with Gungnir or Yggdrasil and a Freya S or Freya + (using active buffer mode) compared the SE vs Balanced DAC connections?

Yes. I have the Yggdrasil A2 and Freya +.

To me, balanced does sound a bit better connecting the two, especially in tube mode.

But, I use the single ended outputs from the Freya to my amplifiers. Freya converts better than any power amp I've tried providing balanced to! My Bryston 3BSST sounds notably worse when provided a balanced signal.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #55,453 of 151,243
I do have resolving enough gears and I can confirm the SE output of Bifrost 2 is better than Yggdrasil's. I had been using the big boy at work for months with a Lyr 3 and swapping it for the Bifrost 2 was a clear improvement.

The Yggdrasil A2 was better than the Bifrost 2 with balanced outputs.
I was talking about the SE and balanced connections on the Yggdrasil and Gungnir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back