Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 31, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #55,141 of 151,233
Just a brief note to announce that I, too, have joined the dark side of the Schiit. I had been reading for a while various reviews mentioning this "Schiit" outfit (always favorably) and finally noticed that I could just drive there to Newhall and listen to their stuff in person. After carefully looking over their lineup it was clear that the Lyr 3 multi-bit would be a perfect upgrade for my office system if it sounded as good as the reviewers thought. And it sounded VERY good in person playing through the Grado GS3000e headphones I brought along. But of course RIGHT NEXT TO IT was the Bifrost 2 stacked with the Valhalla 2, so it was trivial to compare the two. I hardly had to move. Playing exactly the same music. And... they were better. Significantly better. Of course, not very practical for an office system, what with all the heat and exposed tubes. But they beat the Lyr up and took its lunch money. Not sure if it was the Unisom, or if the Bifrost 2 was just better than the multibit card in the Lyr, or maybe the Vahalla is truly a lovely sounding little amp. Probably it's all three together. But they sounded GREAT. And, oh look, the store had both in stock...

So here we are two weeks later, with the Bifrost 2 / Vahalla 2 installed in my office streaming Amazon HD and Tidal. Connected to a Lenovo Windows 10 laptop, of all things. And it sounds GLORIOUS. With flipping standard 16/44, so Jason and Mike are once again proven correct that you don't need exotic formats for good sound. What an amazing pair of units! What incredible values! There was an unexpected downside of a parade of office tourists wondering what the glowy bits were, and I kid you not, using my shiny new amp as a hand warmer, but it sounds great regardless. (Schiit specifically disapproves use of the Vahalla as a coffee or burger warmer, but says nothing about hands so I guess this is an approved use.) But it sounds so wonderful that I think my home computer audio system needs another Bifrost 2 paired with the Jotunheim (I generally leave the sound system on all the time, so solid-state seems the way to go) as an upgrade to ITS current system. And, oh look, they're both in stock....

It's actually a bit terrifying to think about what else these guys will come up with in the next year.
Great write up.
I love my Schiit gear. The Jotunheim MB serves as a HP amp and whole house pre-amp at home. I love it.
Welcome to the madness.

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #55,144 of 151,233
@jasonstoddard not sure if this has been discussed before but what are chances of there being a product like the Ragnarok 2 but without the power amp section in Schitt's future? An all in one box analog/digital preamp.

add more flexibility with two input module slots (for those that have multiple S/PDIF coax and /or optical sources)

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #55,146 of 151,233
Variable impedance (or loading) would be even better than discrete values, but would require a *very* high quality pot that tracks perfectly between channels at any setting and doesn't otherwise muck up the very low signal level at that point. But this is a wish list, so I'm totally with you. :slight_smile:

I admit I only briefly got to use the DS2 with a MC cart so far (brought it, my Valhalla 2, and Sennheiser HD-600s when visiting my folks so my dad could hear the combo with his turntable and system).

As such, I am not sure how well it is handled, but I have not seen complaints about it, so maybe it is not bad. This year I am planning on saving up for a new table and a MC cart so I will know more later.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #55,147 of 151,233
I don't know why you guys want a remote control so bad with a Yggdrasil. It's not like it would see as much use as a preamp or volume control. I'd rather see Schiit spend more of their R&D on things like improving the analog boards or DSP or whatever. Stuff that has an audible improvement.
The thing that would most intrigue me would be the ability to toggle the phase inverter switch from a listening distance. I've never had anything that allowed me to toggle the phase and from all I've read it is often a song-by-song basis. I'm curious to play around with it and a remote would allow that more conveniently. Of course I wouldn't trade improved SQ for a remote. But wish-lists aren't an either/or thing. Just wish-lists.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #55,148 of 151,233
I'm very excited by the idea of a new phono preamp. The Mani remains one of the best preamps for the price out there, but there are great offerings from MoFi and Pro-Ject now (with more gain and loading options) that I think Schiit could really compete with. I'll happily buy a Mani 2 if it comes out.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #55,149 of 151,233
I'm very excited by the idea of a new phono preamp. The Mani remains one of the best preamps for the price out there, but there are great offerings from MoFi and Pro-Ject now (with more gain and loading options) that I think Schiit could really compete with. I'll happily buy a Mani 2 if it comes out.

I'm exited by the idea of a new phono preamp, too. Think higher, though.

I'd like to see something in the same SQ ballpark as PS Audio's Stellar phono preamp. Done the Schiit way, of course.

JC

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #55,150 of 151,233
The thing that would most intrigue me would be the ability to toggle the phase inverter switch from a listening distance. I've never had anything that allowed me to toggle the phase and from all I've read it is often a song-by-song basis. I'm curious to play around with it and a remote would allow that more conveniently. Of course I wouldn't trade improved SQ for a remote. But wish-lists aren't an either/or thing. Just wish-lists.

As primitive as it may sound, I use a long wooden stick to tap on the phase button.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #55,151 of 151,233
Quick notes on Magni 3+ VS Magni Heresy.

I set them up side by side this morning and fed them from the analog outs of my Yggdrasil (music server - Ultrarendu - USB input.) I used a set of Sennheiser HD580 headphones (frankly because they are the only set I own that still has a 1/4" phono plug connector.) I listened to a track on one amp, then swapped the RCA connectors and the headphones to the other amp and listened to the same track. Did this with some jazz, some female vocal music, some post-punk goth, and some rock and roll.

First let me say that both these amps sound surprisingly good to me. I was shocked how small they are, and how much they can do for the sound at this price point and form factor. I would be willing to say that if your needs are in this price range, the Magni will not disappoint. They also both look pretty good, although the black and red color scheme of the Heresy looks cheap compared to the anodized aluminum look of the 3+ to my Boomer eyes. And as expected, to me they do not sound as good as my more expensive amplifiers. But that's not the point here, the point is to see if I can hear a difference between the two.

Bottom line is I found the Heresy to sound like any other headphone output from a CD player or PC or receiver, albeit with more headroom (I could turn it up to ear-bleeding levels until I started hearing distortion.) It was very adequate. The 3+ seems a bit - and it's just a bit - more engaging and well-rounded. More refined. I could listen to it longer and indeed, it is the one now connected to my PC for those casual listening times to Youtube or whatever.

So, for what it's worth, the discrete design wins for me and I hope it's not just because of my bias against opamps. :)

Thank you @Jason Stoddard for allowing me to do this.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #55,152 of 151,233
Quick notes on Magni 3+ VS Magni Heresy.

I set them up side by side this morning and fed them from the analog outs of my Yggdrasil (music server - Ultrarendu - USB input.) I used a set of Sennheiser HD580 headphones (frankly because they are the only set I own that still has a 1/4" phono plug connector.) I listened to a track on one amp, then swapped the RCA connectors and the headphones to the other amp and listened to the same track. Did this with some jazz, some female vocal music, some post-punk goth, and some rock and roll.

First let me say that both these amps sound surprisingly good to me. I was shocked how small they are, and how much they can do for the sound at this price point and form factor. I would be willing to say that if your needs are in this price range, the Magni will not disappoint. They also both look pretty good, although the black and red color scheme of the Heresy looks cheap compared to the anodized aluminum look of the 3+ to my Boomer eyes. And as expected, to me they do not sound as good as my more expensive amplifiers. But that's not the point here, the point is to see if I can hear a difference between the two.

Bottom line is I found the Heresy to sound like any other headphone output from a CD player or PC or receiver, albeit with more headroom (I could turn it up to ear-bleeding levels until I started hearing distortion.) It was very adequate. The 3+ seems a bit - and it's just a bit - more engaging and well-rounded. More refined. I could listen to it longer and indeed, it is the one now connected to my PC for those casual listening times to Youtube or whatever.

So, for what it's worth, the discrete design wins for me and I hope it's not just because of my bias against opamps. :)

Thank you @Jason Stoddard for allowing me to do this.

Have you ever heard a Vali 2, and if you have, how would you say it compares to the Magni 3+? Thanks.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #55,153 of 151,233
Have you ever heard a Vali 2, and if you have, how would you say it compares to the Magni 3+? Thanks.
I have not, sorry. The Schiit amps I have owned are these two Magnis, the Lyr and the Mjolnir 2.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #55,154 of 151,233
You have made me want to break out my old Creek OBH-11 amp I have in the garage and compare it to the Magni 3, however. Low-cost solid state VS low-cost solid state. Hmm. Maybe something to do on new Years Day. :)

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #55,155 of 151,233
I'm exited by the idea of a new phono preamp, too. Think higher, though.

I'd like to see something in the same SQ ballpark as PS Audio's Stellar phono preamp. Done the Schiit way, of course.

JC

Think wayyyyyyyy higher. Mani is great as-is. Nothing at the price competes in terms of performance and flexibility. You should be asking: what can we do for 10x the price? Could we redefine what you expect from a phono preamp? Can we compete with cost-no-object designs?

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back