Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 10, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #53,251 of 149,303
I can't afford that many cable ties. I'll just have to keep slumming with these. Only needed 11 of them to get all the interconnects and power cords properly routed and separated. Oh, I mean for the HP system. The big rig needed about twice that many.

ROFL!!!!

Patience. Black Friday Sale in two weeks.

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #53,252 of 149,303

Early next week I need to ship some things to @bcowen (Including a Melz 1578 from 1963) so I may have to look around my shop and include a few other items. I use cotton mesh on cables for a reason and it saves the cost of buying magic crystals. :smile_phones:

https://jh399.k12.sd.us/dailyassign/physics/ch7materialstaticelec.pdf

Now when you combine the SQ of the color purple with a neutral fiber like cotton, you really have something. Bill is always sending me things so I may even spring for a few nylon wire ties since if I am feeling generous.:ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #53,253 of 149,303
Hehe, I've been doing that with spark plug wires since the early 90's. Was a cheap, easy way to keep them separated and away from headers etc...

I do not recall the gentleman who told me about it but I did try to give credit where due, it was not something I came up with myself. It was a good temporary way to join the cables till I figure out my final layout. Originally I was going to have my AC outlets under the bottom of my large rack but it is so much more handy at the top since some equipment will be static and the dynamic parts will be on the top shelf anyway.

From @bcowen I learned a nice way to label cables and about a 3M adhesive product I had not used before. It is not often but once in a great while Bill can actually be helpful. :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #53,254 of 149,303
From Furutech website
"... NCF features a special crystalline material that has two ‘active’ properties. First, it generates negative ions that eliminate static. Second, it converts thermal energy into far infrared ..."

I wonder how long takes before it runs out of negative charge ?

Hopefully they have a "factory recharge" program where you can send them in to be refueled. Haven't checked on that yet though. :relaxed:

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #53,255 of 149,303
I use cotton mesh on cables for a reason and it saves the cost of buying magic crystals. :smile_phones:

Although I am partial to magic crystals (and purple), there is -- IMO -- validity to potential interference from static electricity (which I assume the cotton minimizes). I'll admit this here and then run and hide for a while, but I *did* use some cable lifters under the speaker cables in my previous house. No, not the portable negative ion eaters from Furutech, just some lifters made of ceramic that looked better than the empty tube boxes I first experimented with, had a little cradle to keep the cable in place, and IIRC were like $79 for a dozen of them. Getting the cables off the floor made a difference at that house which had wall-to-wall carpeting on a concrete pad subfloor. Not night and day, not huge, but noticeable. I didn't attempt to understand or explain it, I just heard it. My current house has suspended hardwood floors. Tried those same lifters here in the big rig, and I couldn't hear one bit of difference, even though I was expecting to. Nothing. So although my 2 data points are hardly worthy from any scientific standpoint, the static thing does make sense to me as it very likely existed at some level on the carpet, but obviously doesn't stand much of a chance on hardwood.

I'm still going to get 4 or 5 of those Furutech thingies to put under my headphone cable though. I figure if I lay my head on the table while listening, not only can I keep the cable level but I can watch the negative ions being eaten. May need to add a pillow for comfort. Just need to find out what the refueling interval and cost is first. :laughing:

system.jpg

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #53,256 of 149,303
“far infrared” is a bit too hot for my electrons... They don’t like to be pushed around that hard and will often complain.

LOL! Complaining electrons really get on my nerves. Banish them, I always say. :relaxed:

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #53,257 of 149,303

You already know that patience is missing from my DNA. I got 2 extra strands of impulsiveness instead. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #53,258 of 149,303
Nov 10, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #53,259 of 149,303
Although I am partial to magic crystals (and purple), there is -- IMO -- validity to potential interference from static electricity (which I assume the cotton minimizes). I'll admit this here and then run and hide for a while, but I *did* use some cable lifters under the speaker cables in my previous house. No, not the portable negative ion eaters from Furutech, just some lifters made of ceramic that looked better than the empty tube boxes I first experimented with, had a little cradle to keep the cable in place, and IIRC were like $79 for a dozen of them. Getting the cables off the floor made a difference at that house which had wall-to-wall carpeting on a concrete pad subfloor. Not night and day, not huge, but noticeable. I didn't attempt to understand or explain it, I just heard it. My current house has suspended hardwood floors. Tried those same lifters here in the big rig, and I couldn't hear one bit of difference, even though I was expecting to. Nothing. So although my 2 data points are hardly worthy from any scientific standpoint, the static thing does make sense to me as it very likely existed at some level on the carpet, but obviously doesn't stand much of a chance on hardwood.

I'm still going to get 4 or 5 of those Furutech thingies to put under my headphone cable though. I figure if I lay my head on the table while listening, not only can I keep the cable level but I can watch the negative ions being eaten. May need to add a pillow for comfort. Just need to find out what the refueling interval and cost is first. :laughing:

You really notice the difference with cotton on headphone cables (compared to paracord) so that is my main use. Silk is decent as well. I do not use carpet in my listening area so like you I have few issues there. While I do not make every meeting, friends get together and test and run experiments on such things as cable lifters and you soon learn which products might or might not improve SQ. Jacket material on wire and cable can be a factor but it is not the easiest thing to measure.

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #53,260 of 149,303
I'm not sure if I should look forward to this or have all my mail held at the Post Office. LOL!!

I will only send enough cat fur to build another cat.:ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #53,261 of 149,303
I will only send enough cat fur to build another cat.:ksc75smile:

LOL! 2.5 cats is enough for me. As discrete units there's really only 2, but one is so fat she's subjectively counted as 1.5. :laughing:

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #53,262 of 149,303

Had a similar experience in my room. Lifted the speaker wire and did hear an improvement. Sounded nice to my Golden Retriever who decided to eat them they sounded so good! :L3000::dog:

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #53,263 of 149,303

When the cable lifters came out in the 90's, it was explained to me that they were particularly effective on carpeted floors because the carpet would become part of the cables dielectric if the cable was laid directly on said carpet.

I was gifted a set and tried them, but noticed no difference on my hard wood floors either. However, I still use them as it makes vacuuming around the cables much easier. Not that I vacuum as often as I should........

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #53,264 of 149,303
Had a similar experience in my room. Lifted the speaker wire and did hear an improvement. Sounded nice to my Golden Retriever who decided to eat them they sounded so good! :L3000::dog:

Homer1.jpg

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #53,265 of 149,303
I can't afford that many cable ties. I'll just have to keep slumming with these. Only needed 11 of them to get all the interconnects and power cords properly routed and separated. Oh, I mean for the HP system. The big rig needed about twice that many.

ROFL!!!!

If I needed to elevate the cables I have I'd just use some ceramic cable isolators, just like this:
76302_01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back