Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 6, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #53,101 of 151,176
Nov 6, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #53,102 of 151,176
After years of drooling and dreaming with ORT, I finally found someone to build a gorgeous set of Vu meters for me.
They're beating to the output of the Yggdrasil DAC.
Tnx Tom.

Congratulations, looks very good!! And otherwise you would have to buy a Dan D'Agostino or McIntosh amp, which would have costed quite a bit more, I suppose....

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #53,104 of 151,176
MG electrical parts, like pretty much all electrical parts of British cars of the time, were made by Lucas Industries. One (or more) of the Lucas line was knighted, leading to a long sequence of jokes about Lord Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

LOL! I got my first speeding ticket at the ripe old age of 16.1 while I was test driving a used Triumph TR6. I assume Lucas had a hand in the electrical workings of those too as none of the gauges worked, including the speedometer. I couldn't understand why the cop was so pissed until he showed me his radar had clocked me at 93....in a 35 mph zone. The state suspended my license for 30 days, and my Dad added another 30 days after that. :slight_smile:

That car was still a blast to drive though....

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #53,106 of 151,176
Of course. But a billionaire entrepreneur I used to work for taught me to never use my own money for anything if I have the chance to use someone else's at a reasonable cost. :)

My father use to say the same thing, he was no where near a billionaire, not even close.

That advice comes with two footnotes: 1) Only if you can pay it back in full as soon as the borrowing cost becomes less reasonable. 2) Lenders give amazing low interest to those who can demonstrate they fulfill footnote 1.

However, it was OK to "borrow from Peter to pay Paul" as long as the deal improved :wink:

Card vendors do like to offer 0% windows and transfers. Footnote 1 applies.

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #53,107 of 151,176
LOL! I got my first speeding ticket at the ripe old age of 16.1 while I was test driving a used Triumph TR6. I assume Lucas had a hand in the electrical workings of those too as none of the gauges worked, including the speedometer. I couldn't understand why the cop was so pissed until he showed me his radar had clocked me at 93....in a 35 mph zone. The state suspended my license for 30 days, and my Dad added another 30 days after that. :slight_smile:

That car was still a blast to drive though....

My first ticket was at 17, 72 in a 30, however all that netted me was a $60 ticket, and I failed to mention it to the parents until many years later, ohhh those were the days...

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #53,108 of 151,176
No ticket yet, but some fun stories from being pulled over. First time I was 16 or 17. I just dropped my girlfriend at the time off at her place and was going to a friend's to play video games and eat junk food all night. I was excited, driving a bit fast, lights came on behind me. Cop explains I was doing 65 in a 55 (actually it was a 50 where I was pulled over but I did not mention that). He then gave me a warning and said, "It is not that you cannot drive safely at that speed, but if something were to happen you would not have time to react."

I did not feel like pointing out the contradiction in his statement and simply said I understood.

Getting pulled over in New Brunswick was another great experience.

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #53,109 of 151,176
A question for tube-knowledgeable folk - how to best maximize tube life? Is tube life shortened by switching on and off, or rather by long-duration use?

Here's the thing - I love my Freya +, but I'm finding myself hesitant to turn on music if I only have 30 minutes or so, fearing that I might be killing the tube life by such short listening bursts. But then the whole point of enjoying music is being missed...

And then when I am listening but need to take a 30-60 minute break am I better off leaving Freya + on or off?

I would greatly appreciate any input on this subject! :)

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #53,110 of 151,176
A question for tube-knowledgeable folk - how to best maximize tube life? Is tube life shortened by switching on and off, or rather by long-duration use?

Here's the thing - I love my Freya +, but I'm finding myself hesitant to turn on music if I only have 30 minutes or so, fearing that I might be killing the tube life by such short listening bursts. But then the whole point of enjoying music is being missed...

And then when I am listening but need to take a 30-60 minute break am I better off leaving Freya + on or off?

I would greatly appreciate any input on this subject! :)
There really is no one true answer to this question, as all tubes are different. Some tubes fail very quickly, some last for 20 years of constant use when they are rated for 2. Power on is generally only hard on a tube if the amp design does not include a soft-start, meaning ramping up the voltage slowly. But even if it just slams full voltage the second the switch is hit, it may or may not have any impact on tube life. Me, I leave DACs on all the time and I turn my tube amps and preamps on only when I need them. I've never had an unexpected tube failure.

Bottom line is tubes are consumable items, You should expect to replace them sooner or later, and if you are worried about them suddenly failing purchase a spare set to keep in a drawer.

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #53,111 of 151,176
There really is no one true answer to this question, as all tubes are different. Some tubes fail very quickly, some last for 20 years of constant use when they are rated for 2. Power on is generally only hard on a tube if the amp design does not include a soft-start, meaning ramping up the voltage slowly. But even if it just slams full voltage the second the switch is hit, it may or may not have any impact on tube life. Me, I leave DACs on all the time and I turn my tube amps and preamps on only when I need them. I've never had an unexpected tube failure.

Bottom line is tubes are consumable items, You should expect to replace them sooner or later, and if you are worried about them suddenly failing purchase a spare set to keep in a drawer.
Thanks. I know they will fail eventually, I just want to avoid anything that gets me there faster. Do you know if the Freya + has a soft start like you describe?

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #53,112 of 151,176
I got stopped riding my motorcycle at 14 on a public road. Officer gave me tickets for speeding, failure to stop, no licence, no insurance, no turn signals, and no plates. I thought I would never drive again. After I explained to the judge I was on the road because rain had made the trails a muddy mess, he gave me three months probation. I should add this was so far out in farm country that there were more cows than cars around. Ah the fun of a rural childhood.

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #53,113 of 151,176
Thanks. I know they will fail eventually, I just want to avoid anything that gets me there faster. Do you know if the Freya + has a soft start like you describe?
I would be surprised if it doesn't, but no I don't know. 6SN7's tend to be available at fairly reasonable cost. Grab a set.

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #53,114 of 151,176
News to me that Lucas made domestic appliances. Source?
I heard that joke in the m/c community where beer was one of the 3 whole's of whole's and warm beer was obviously sacrilegious and what with the Lucas tie into being the prince of darkness it all just neatly fir together.

Humor being in the minds of those who think funny is what makes you laugh etc…

JJ

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #53,115 of 151,176

Users who are viewing this thread

Back