Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 6, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #53,116 of 149,142
Thanks for the link, now I see why the Scarlett 2i2 is that popular. It's also the most expensive out of the 5 models though but I guess it's a case of "pay peanuts get monkeys"
Pretty sure the one tested in the link (I thought the wiring adaptor he used might have helped you)
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/ADC/USBrecording.html
was a 1st Gen, 2nd Gen was better and current 3rd Gen better again and has the "air" setting.
There are some 2nd Gen still available in my locality for $100 less than the current Gen, maybe you could get lucky :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #53,117 of 149,142
One word: DIY. Or is that more than one word? :slight_smile:

I just put a new MAF in my old bomb a few weeks ago. $49 for the part. 2 screws, an electrical plug, 10 minutes. I didn't get the vapor thingie though so take this FWIW. :relaxed:

In years past I likely would have considered fixing it myself. I used to do stuff like that. $49? I Googled Mass Air Flow sensor and saw a lot of those for $49. But when I looked up the one my vehicle... $225 to $450 for the part. And it's a Hyundai! My mechanic charged me $225. Anyway, these days the following factors won out: lack of knowledge, lack of tools, lack of a place to work, lack of gumption, the skin on fingers is currently soooo soft (actually relevant as I am a chiropractor). The vapour thingie is I think a water vapour trap on the gas cap or something. The repair receipt in not with me at the moment.
I did consider the Penny Solution...

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #53,118 of 149,142
A question for tube-knowledgeable folk - how to best maximize tube life? Is tube life shortened by switching on and off, or rather by long-duration use?

Mainly it’s the hours in use that burns though tube life, although repeated cold starts can be a factor as well.

And then when I am listening but need to take a 30-60 minute break am I better off leaving Freya + on or off?

I’d leave it on. Usually I leave my Lyr3 on for the day unless I know I won’t be back for several hours.

But, tubes will burn out eventually. Fortunately there are many nice new production tubes that you don’t have to sell your kidneys to purchase.

A matched quad of new production Tung-Sols, EHs, or JJs won’t set you back more that about $100 depending on the seller. Find some new production tubes that you like, get a spare set, and no worries :L3000:

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #53,119 of 149,142
Mainly it’s the hours in use that burns though tube life, although repeated cold starts can be a factor as well.

I’d leave it on. Usually I leave my Lyr3 on for the day unless I know I won’t be back for several hours.

But, tubes will burn out eventually. Fortunately there are many nice new production tubes that you don’t have to sell your kidneys to purchase.

A matched quad of new production Tung-Sols, EHs, or JJs won’t set you back more that about $100 depending on the seller. Find some new production tubes that you like, get a spare set, and no worries :L3000:
i’d estimate tubes with intensive use would last at least 5 years... likely before you ve need to upgrade chasing the sound we need!

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #53,120 of 149,142
Another way to save money is to just replace the pairs on the right and use your original quad two at a time. There are some very good pairs on the market for $20-$90 per tube.

When talking about preserving the life of the tube, (I have a couple Freya +'s) just remember it does this as well:

"Better yet, it turns off when you’re not using it! That’s right, both the tube heater and high voltage rails go away when not in use, so you can preserve lifetime of costly tubes."

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #53,121 of 149,142
i’d estimate tubes with intensive use would last at least 5 years... likely before you ve need to upgrade chasing the sound we need!

Figuring a tube can last 5-6,000 hours,( I have seen estimates as high as 10,000), running one four hours a day a tube could last 3.5 -4 years, but there are vacations, and traveling that could easily bring that to five years. I have several audio setups so I do not listen to the same one all the time and I am constantly changing out tubes (other than those in a power amp) so I spread the time out on various pairs and single tubes.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #53,122 of 149,142
Figuring a tube can last 5-6,000 hours,( I have seen estimates as high as 10,000), running one four hours a day a tube could last 3.5 -4 years, but there are vacations, and traveling that could easily bring that to five years. I have several audio setups so I do not listen to the same one all the time and I am constantly changing out tubes (other than those in a power amp) so I spread the time out on various pairs and single tubes.

Then there are the weirdo's like me that leave their system running 24/7 365....

For this reason I tend to avoid tubes (other than my Vali 2).

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #53,124 of 149,142
Then there are the weirdo's like me that leave their system running 24/7 365....

For this reason I tend to avoid tubes (other than my Vali 2).
Nothing wrong with that, I had solid state gear for over thirty years but at this stage in my listening, I prefer tubes. The only tube gear I can think of that Schiit makes that I have not owned is the Saga, but I am pretty set on tube pre-amps. I come from a technical background so I do not mind working through any issues as tubes age.

To me it is fun to hear a tube i have never heard and shape the sound a bit in specific gear, I like choices and variety, and I prefer different tubes with different types of music. I do not buy and sell tubes but those that do can support their hobby a bit this way.

I have a Vali 2 myself and for the life of me I have a hard time plugging in tubes that cost more than the amp I got B stock lol, but that is just the way the price of tubes go.

I am in the process of building four class A OTL amps that will use 6sn7 and 6080 tubes for more blind testing. (6sn7 equivalent testing) I am curious to see how some of the modern tubes produced by the Chinese and Russians compare to vintage tubes. There will be a couple tubes tested in the $1500 and above range but luckily I do not have to provide all the tubes for this challenge.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #53,125 of 149,142
What weirdo? Schiit recommends leaving solid state equipment on.

Ahhh, I figured I was in the minority. I leave mine playing music on random at a low volume mainly so I don't have to let the transducers warm up before I crank them up (manufacturers recommendation).

Nothing wrong with that, I had solid state gear for over thirty years but at this stage in my listening, I prefer tubes. The only tube gear I can think of that Schiit makes that I have not owned is the Saga, but I am pretty set on tube pre-amps. I come from a technical background so I do not mind working through any issues as tubes age.

To me it is fun to hear a tube i have never heard and shape the sound a bit in specific gear, I like choices and variety, and I prefer different tubes with different types of music. I do not buy and sell tubes but those that do can support their hobby a bit this way.

I have a Vali 2 myself and for the life of me I have a hard time plugging in tubes that cost more than the amp I got B stock lol, but that is just the way the price of tubes go.

I am in the process of building four class A OTL amps that will use 6sn7 and 6080 tubes for more blind testing. (6sn7 equivalent testing) I am curious to see how some of the modern tubes produced by the Chinese and Russians compare to vintage tubes. There will be a couple tubes tested in the $1500 and above range but luckily I do not have to provide all the tubes for this challenge.

I only have a couple tubes for my Vali 2, I think the most expensive was maybe $30 or $40 and it sounds quite well to me, it's a Gold Lion.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #53,126 of 149,142
In years past I likely would have considered fixing it myself. I used to do stuff like that. $49? I Googled Mass Air Flow sensor and saw a lot of those for $49. But when I looked up the one my vehicle... $225 to $450 for the part. And it's a Hyundai! My mechanic charged me $225. Anyway, these days the following factors won out: lack of knowledge, lack of tools, lack of a place to work, lack of gumption, the skin on fingers is currently soooo soft (actually relevant as I am a chiropractor). The vapour thingie is I think a water vapour trap on the gas cap or something. The repair receipt in not with me at the moment.
I did consider the Penny Solution...

LOL! I went for the upgraded one at Parts Geek. The stupid O-ring (gasket) was an extra $7, but I figured it was needed and with shipping it all came in just under $49 as best I remember. This one was recommended by several people on the club forum as a good replacement at 1/4 the price Mazda wanted for theirs.

upload_2019-11-7_8-53-44.png

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #53,127 of 149,142
LOL! I went for the upgraded one at Parts Geek. The stupid O-ring (gasket) was an extra $7, but I figured it was needed and with shipping it all came in just under $49 as best I remember. This one was recommended by several people on the club forum as a good replacement at 1/4 the price Mazda wanted for theirs.

Yeah, unless you are looking for a performance part or MUST have an OE part, the replacements you can get from Rock Auto etc... for 1/4 the cost of the OE part are perfectly fine for a daily driver...

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #53,128 of 149,142
Ahhh, I figured I was in the minority. I leave mine playing music on random at a low volume mainly so I don't have to let the transducers warm up before I crank them up (manufacturers recommendation).

I only have a couple tubes for my Vali 2, I think the most expensive was maybe $30 or $40 and it sounds quite well to me, it's a Gold Lion.

I use a lot of 6sn7 types in the Vali 2 with adapter but you can get into some very pricey 6922's and such without too much trouble.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #53,129 of 149,142

With a 5-6,000 hour lifespan, I have enough to last me approximately 43.73 lifetimes. But if I live to 100 then that number goes all to hell, so I should probably get some more. :grimacing:

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #53,130 of 149,142
With a 5-6,000 hour lifespan, I have enough to last me approximately 43.73 lifetimes. But if I live to 100 then that number goes all to hell, so I should probably get some more. :grimacing:

Well generally I do not sell tubes but I bet I could make up some special prices just for you. You are a GE man right or was that Phillips ECG?:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back