Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 18, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #52,201 of 153,374
Because it's not driving Raal's included impedance converter box (a box of resistors and chokes), it's designed to drive the Raal headphones directly. It does not need the impedance converter, which is typically used with a 100W+ speaker amplifier. So, instead of a stack of DAC/Preamp/Speaker Amp/Impedance Converter Box, it's a single unit (when used with the internal DAC card.)

Bottom line, every other speaker amp has to go through the converter box, because they're not designed for the very low impedance load. Jotunheim R is designed for a very low impedance load.

You didn't name it Allahlav 2 ? ;D

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #52,202 of 153,374
You didn't name it Allahlav 2 ? ;D

Oh that's funny.

But you're spot-on. It's essentially the inverse of a tube amp, or stat amp. Very low voltage and very high current versus very high voltage and very low current.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 18, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #52,203 of 153,374
I agree with everything you wrote Jason, but to add to this I think people read too much into impressions from others on the internet and expect this HUGE difference, when the truth is DACs marginally make that much of a difference. I mean there is a $$ limit to where one is just chasing the last 5% of performance.

Take every impression/review with a huge grain of salt. Cause what may be significant in someone's setup may not even be audible in yours. Seen too many people burn a lot of cash to only squeeze maybe a 4% difference in performance. DACs especially are diminish returns IMO, but I know there are those who have turned DACs into a religion of sorts.
To that end, does anyone have experience with Bifrost vs Yggdrasil? I know Bifrost 2 is getting raves, but I have to say, I have trouble imagining how anything could sound better than my Bifrost MB. Music sounds so great with it on my system!

With that said, I have been slowly saving up for the flagship Yggdrasil once Unison is released for it. But I would welcome input from anyone with experience between the two DACs. Are we talking a 5% improvement in SQ or something more significant? I do my music listening over speakers primarily.

I don't want to spend money for spending money's sake. And I despise chasing ever elusive carrots, but I do believe in buying "up" when I can - when "up" is actually "up." Case in point: Bifrost MB/Freya+/Monoblock Aegirs/Tekton DIs is so far up from the old Denon receiver and Boston bookshelf speakers they replaced that I can barely see the ground from here. There's nothing side-gradey about the difference.

My experiences with Schiit gear have only made me want to climb the ladder further. But only if it is going to take me significantly higher. I would greatly appreciate thoughts from people with experience here.

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #52,204 of 153,374
To that end, does anyone have experience with Bifrost vs Yggdrasil? I know Bifrost 2 is getting raves, but I have to say, I have trouble imagining how anything could sound better than my Bifrost MB. Music sounds so great with it on my system!

With that said, I have been slowly saving up for the flagship Yggdrasil once Unison is released for it. But I would welcome input from anyone with experience between the two DACs. Are we talking a 5% improvement in SQ or something more significant? I do my music listening over speakers primarily.

I don't want to spend money for spending money's sake. And I despise chasing ever elusive carrots, but I do believe in buying "up" when I can - when "up" is actually "up." Case in point: Bifrost MB/Freya+/Monoblock Aegirs/Tekton DIs is so far up from the old Denon receiver and Boston bookshelf speakers they replaced that I can barely see the ground from here. There's nothing side-gradey about the difference.

My experiences with Schiit gear have only made me want to climb the ladder further. But only if it is going to take me significantly higher. I would greatly appreciate thoughts from people with experience here.

Suggest you view Currawong's review on YouTube:

He discusses Bifrost vs Yggdrasil.

The video is also viewable at

https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost-1

Click the Reviews tab.

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #52,206 of 153,374
How would you measure SQ in percentages objectively?
Objectively, no idea. Just looking people's subjective experiences and thoughts. There are many seasoned and experienced folks here. If the majority say "meh" that's useful information. If the majority say "wow!" that's also useful info. No guarantee that other's experiences will match mine, but still good for information gathering. I've seen many "impressions" of both separately, but not many "I started with a Bifrost MB and now am giving Yggdrasil a shot and here are my thoughts..." That's what I am hoping to gain insights around.

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #52,207 of 153,374
How would you measure SQ in percentages objectively?
Well and that's the problem isn't it. Or perhaps the phenomena that drives the merry-go-round. I've had this experience more times than I can count - put the new piece in the system and I'm blown away by the difference. A few days go by and the system sounds "normal" again. Was there a difference, or was it placebo?

The double blind tests I've done have taught me one thing - even if DBT (of perception, a contradiction in terms? Blind test of perception?) are RESOLUTION limited by any potential mechanism, they if nothing else show that differences we "heard" can be vanishingly small, under those particular conditions of DBT.

This begins developing the "anchor points" for subsequent subjective (sighted) judgements for quality and value in our oh-so-noble pursuit of music reproduction - up to and including the potential level of completely indistinguishable from "reality" (whatever that is :)) Which we are still not close to yet, so...suspension of disbelief is a reasonable functioning target.

And let's face it, physical aesthetics can be important, sometimes a black box just won't cut it. It's one of the reasons I love the good Schiit! :) That, and excellent engineering.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #52,213 of 153,374
Dilbert.gif

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #52,215 of 153,374
Not to be a boor or anything but that's like nothing compared to these. Just stick 'em anywhere in the room, and all your Schiit will instantly become Super Schiit:

http://madscientist-audio.com/blackdiscusreg.html

I haven't tried them and I know it's bad form to make fun of something you haven't tried, but sometimes it's just too hard to resist. To be fair, their graphene contact enhancer does make a difference when used in the right spots in the right quantity, but at least that has a reasonably plausible explanation.

I've visited their website, and after reading a bit about the product, I was SURE it's some kind of a joke about the audiophile world.
But apparently it's NOT! You can actually purchase those things.
And there are posts about them, and reviews... Wow!

BTW, I'm from Israel, so in case anybody wants, I can send you bottles of "Holly Water" straight from the Jordan river. I've heard it's magic. Just pour some drops on top of your amplifier and you'll hear God as never before!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back