Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 13, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #51,901 of 151,235
Me too. Took me a year to figure out what a friggin' Mimby was. So I'm totally with @Jason Stoddard on getting rid of the nicknames, but then also blame him for having 72 variations of the same box with names that don't exist in any English language spell checker. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And also names that he, or any other American, don't know how to pronounce.

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #51,902 of 151,235
And also names that he, or any other American, don't know how to pronounce.

Except you just have to love the Schiit EITR (pronounced 'eater'). That's my favorite. :relaxed:

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #51,903 of 151,235
The nicknames still confuse the hell of out me. I'm assuming Schiit must go to their marketing gurus (in the throne-room?) and bounce different ideas of them. They then measure the cringe factor. Yep, Modi 3 Multibit just sounds odd.
For me? I'm still musing about the Gungnir Multibit and the (redesigned) Bifrost (with the built-in [no-other-option] Multibit?). Headphone listening all the way, baby. The whole contraption will sit right beside my student-built muskoka chunky-chair in the living room (with a Valhalla, Loki, Magni, and Vali perched on top of it).

My EITR-Modi-MB combo's still chugging along. I honestly think the next big purchase will be another set of sound-isolating cans. I want that Princess Leia cinnamon-buns hairstyle look of the Audeze closed-back 'phones. After trying an (overpriced) pair at a bricks-and-mortar stereo shop, it put the zap on me. Christ-on-a-cracker, they sound good! {{{on a Fulla 2 & chromebook no less}}}

Jason... consider selling boutique audio racks? Otherwise, I'll commission a project at my school's woodshop! :ksc75smile:
Schiit does not like season the childish nicknames. Neither do I.

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #51,904 of 151,235
The flip side to "childish" names is that they personalize the product for the owner and this is a marketeers dream in that there is not just ownership but an attachment from the owner to this now personalized gear.

How often do we name stuff we own?
It's usually only the stuff we treasure (or curse) but this makes it our own and in turn this identifying of stuff to self connotes a sense of identity, and raises the bar in terms of pride of ownership and our direct involvement with inanimate objects.

IOW we not just own, but have a personal relationship with, said inanimate objects, which is the gateway to generating 'buzz' which is the most effective advertising, like ever.

And this elevating the 'status' of an object, means it is now 'special' at least for those who engage in this personalizing behavior and this in and of itself generates sales, because it no longer is JUST stuff, but OUR special stuff.
And yes this can be a catch 22 for sure, as it can lead to confusion.

But look at what is happening here, we are bantering about, not the stuff itself, nor it's merits, nor usefulness etc, but our relationship with this stuff.

And if this sort of behavior is problematic, then ponder this, would we even be discussing any of this, and to this extent, if we hadn't personalized it in the 1st place?

I figure it's one of those 1st world type problems, and like the Eagles song, 'get over it', as we generate even more 'buzz'.

JJ

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #51,905 of 151,235
Except you just have to love the Schiit EITR (pronounced 'eater'). That's my favorite. :relaxed:

I’m quite fond of Asgard (ass-guard) myself :relaxed:

Oct 13, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #51,907 of 151,235
The childish names lead to confusion. Manufacturers give products names to differentiate them. Use them. Of course if you want to name your personal amp Gertrude do so, consenting adults can do whatever they like in the privacy of their own home. :)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #51,909 of 151,235
The childish names lead to confusion. Manufacturers give products names to differentiate them. Use them. Of course if you want to name your personal amp Gertrude do so, contenting adults can do whatever they like in the privacy of their own home. :)

It's always a good thing when adults are content in the privacy of their own home...

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #51,910 of 151,235
And it would seem the trouble starts when our private predilections go public,
oh the horror…
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaahahahahahaaa

JJ

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #51,911 of 151,235
I call my Bifrost 2 Burt, when in the privacy of my home.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #51,912 of 151,235
I call my Bifrost 2 Burt when in the privacy of my home.

I had a name for my last solid-state amp. It was **************.

(I went ahead and entered the asterisks so the forum software wouldn't have to convert it). :smile:

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #51,913 of 151,235
I call my Bifrost 2 Burt, when in the privacy of my home.

Please be careful when doing that. Your home isn't exactly soundproof. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I *do* like the tree in the living room though. That's pretty cool!

upload_2019-10-13_19-34-21.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #51,914 of 151,235
Why do you think it's way out in the woods? :wink:

And that tree is in my atrium -- not the living room.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #51,915 of 151,235
I had a name for my last solid-state amp. It was **************.

(I went ahead and entered the asterisks so the forum software wouldn't have to convert it). :smile:

you named your amp Ableza???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back