Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #51,616 of 155,109
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #51,617 of 155,109
https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-challenge :wink:

Gotta love Bob...Phase Linear 400 was my first Amp -- ORT would've loved it! :frog:

4264b7cb79efbe52025950a52fb77a64.jpg

I remember those. Recently I just gave a 200-ii amp and 2000-ii preamp back to my dad; Years ago he was a dealer and the one I most remember was the 700 series II with the electronic VU meters. We had that in the den along with the turntable and a 3000-ii preamp. I think there was a tuner as well.

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #51,619 of 155,109
I know this would just add another part number that you probably wouldn't want to do, how about removing the SE completely, add an additional balanced input and just offer it balanced only, especially if it does sound really good!

Not many people would be interested in it then and it wouldn't sell well. Remember what Jason wrote about the journey from Mjolnir 1 to Mjolnir 2?

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #51,620 of 155,109
In 2004 and the years before I had a purpose built listening room in my house. My last speakers owned were Carvers Amazing Platinum IV's, his tube preamp and 1,000 watt per channel mono-block SS amps along with that Sonic Holography thingy. For large scale orchestral it was the best I ever owned. Not quite the imaging and sound field finesse of previously owned ESL 63's with tubes and subs, but it was an overwhelming experience. I think I paid around 3 grand for the IV's and bought them at a store in New Jersey in a town off the AC expressway. When I downsized in 2004 had to sell the house and the system.

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #51,621 of 155,109
In 2004 and the years before I had a purpose built listening room in my house. My last speakers owned were Carvers Amazing Platinum IV's, his tube preamp and 1,000 watt per channel mono-block SS amps along with that Sonic Holography thingy. For large scale orchestral it was the best I ever owned. Not quite the imaging and sound field finesse of previously owned ESL 63's with tubes and subs, but it was an overwhelming experience. I think I paid around 3 grand for the IV's and bought them at a store in New Jersey in a town off the AC expressway. When I downsized in 2004 had to sell the house and the system.

Agree 100% - I had a similar system, Amazing Platinums with an external crossover, 2 x m1.7t Carver amps for the bass and a B&K Sonata for the ribbons. I had the SS Carver C1 preamp though and Carver CD player. As you mentioned, (I am not a big classical fan but...) the Telarc Firebird could literally take your breath away when it gets rockin... I ended up moving to another country for a business opportunity, so that system went to my brother but it has since pretty much disintegrated from what I understand..

My goal since then has been to replicate that sound experience in a smaller room... maybe not possible and I probably could not afford it anyways. I do have a modern version of the Sonic Holigraphy thing though, it is called Black Ice Audio (Jolida) Foz SS-X, kind of a SE tube buffer with a couple spatial controls, this device is very clean sounding even though I guess the specs not up to audiophile standards (also need roll the 12AU7 tube to preference, I am using an RCA cleartop..). Much cleaner than the Carver SH but kind of the same idea...

Oct 5, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #51,624 of 155,109
He's still doing stuff.

Here's Stereophile writing about the Carver Challenge: https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-challenge

There's this ad/video of Carver going into an audio store and kind of having a party that I saw a while ago but couldn't find just now. It's almost a cross of the famous Robert Plant video and something a bit more gonzo.

Thanks for the link! That sure brings back some memories. 1985 was about when I bought my first "real" amp -- a B&K ST-140 that Tom Gillette (Sam Tellig) was raving about constantly. It was immediately after that purchase that I quickly learned about the relationship between an amplifiers output wattage and current capability and a speakers sensitivity and load impedance as the ST-140 and the Acoustats did not make a happy pairing. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #51,625 of 155,109
Finally got a chance to dig out my copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon - MFSL version disc. Laptop as transport via USB to the micro Schiit stack (Modi MB, Loki, Magni 3), to HiFiMAN HE-400 headphones.

Holy Schiit!! OMG! WOW! Damn, did that sound good!! Been a while since I've listened to the entire album, been a very long time since this album has caused goosebumps. Especially since I know it so well. Need to figure out how many of my MFSL CDs were mastered with the original Baldr GAIN ADC system. If I remember what I read correctly, the burrito filters in the Schiit multibit DACs are the inverse of that GAIN system.

So much fun rediscovering my music collection! Once again, Thank You Jason & Mike for making real high end audio so affordable!

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #51,626 of 155,109
Once again, Thank You Jason & Mike for making real high end audio so affordable!

Big +1 on that.

Only thing you're missing now is one of these. Then you can start squandering all your spare cash on different tubes to roll, and begin a new incurable addiction. Not that you necessarily *have* to roll tubes (the optional new issue Tung Sol is just fine), but a very high probability that resistance will be futile. :slight_smile:

upload_2019-10-5_13-19-42.png

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #51,627 of 155,109
Vali 2 ain't no slouch, either!! :wink:

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #51,628 of 155,109
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #51,629 of 155,109
Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn every now-and-then. :D

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #51,630 of 155,109
Impressions Day 1:
  • Immediate improvement over Modi Multibit
  • Wider sound stage
  • Better centered stereo image
  • Better definition of individual instruments
  • Voices veiled and a little buried
  • Noticeably softer, warmer, more rounded presentation
Impressions Day 2+:
  • Even greater improvement over Modi Multibit
  • Even wider and now deeper sound stage
  • Better centered stereo image
  • Better definition of individual instruments
  • Voices clear and distinct with natural timbre
  • Presentation "opened up" with more air and sparkle, but still "rounder" and less "etched" than the Modi Multibit
Verdict:
  • Sounds like WOW!

Are the impressions of day 2+ after continuous operation without power off in between?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back