Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #51,631 of 149,122
Thank You Jason & Mike for making real high end audio so affordable!

Big +1 on that.

You can count me in on that, as well. :)

Only thing you're missing now is one of these. Then you can start squandering all your spare cash on different tubes to roll, and begin a new incurable addiction. Not that you necessarily *have* to roll tubes (the optional new issue Tung Sol is just fine), but a very high probability that resistance will be futile. :slight_smile:

Of all the tubes I’ve tried I actually find the reissue Tung-Sol to be the best one! And I’ve tried a few.
(Yes, literally, a few. Like, eight. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
(In the 8-50 dollar range :relaxed:)

Anyway, I think it’s a great choice by Schiit to have the reissue Tung-Sol as an option. It would be even greater if it was standard though, as for Saga+ and Freya+.

Here’s my tube list by the way:
NEW Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB
NEW JJ Electronic 6SN7
NEW Psvane HIFI UK-6SN7
NOS Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB
NOS Westinghouse 6SN7GTB halo/disc getter
NOS Russian MELZ 6N8S metal base
NOS Russian MELZ 1578 metal base
NOS Russian 70's Foton 6N8S

The list is not in any specific order.
Yes, the coveted Melz 1578 is in the list too (and in my box of tubes), but I don’t use it much as I actually found it lacking.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #51,632 of 149,122

Of all the tubes I’ve tried I actually find the reissue Tung-Sol to be the best one! And I’ve tried a few.

Anyway, I think it’s a great choice by Schiit to have the reissue Tung-Sol as an option. It would be even greater if it was standard though, as for Saga+ and Freya+.

NEW Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB
NEW JJ Electronic 6SN7
NEW Psvane HIFI UK-6SN7
NOS Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB

Yes, the coveted Melz 1578 is in the list too (and in my box of tubes), but I don’t use it much as I actually found it lacking.

No Frankie? :scream: We need to fix that. :smile:

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #51,633 of 149,122

NEW Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB
NEW JJ Electronic 6SN7
NEW Psvane HIFI UK-6SN7
NOS Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB

I have quite a few Melz 1578’s in my collection and I am liking some years better than others. It is also important IMHO to replace the pin solder.

Now as far as Frankie’s, some prefer Nathan’s, some go with Ball Park or even Oscar Meyer in a pinch.:o2smile:

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #51,634 of 149,122
No Frankie? :scream: We need to fix that. :smile:

Yes please :smiley:
I have looked for one on eBay, but realised I was too unsure of what to look for to get the real deal.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #51,635 of 149,122
I have looked for one on eBay, but realised I was too unsure of what to look for to get the real deal.
I believe whichever Bill has for sale will be the correct version.:gs1000smile:

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #51,636 of 149,122

I don't see any listed on Ebay right now. But they pop up on a regular basis. Here's a start on what to look for:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-3-tube-rolling-thread.876016/page-84#post-14447101

And of course you'll need an adapter. I personally like the spring-clip top contacts on these better than the versions coming out of China, but either will work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-7N7-7F...816650?hash=item41fd04ae4a:g:vHIAAOSwQrJbUX-q

Edit: I *do* love these Ebay listings with beautiful pictures of the.....box. Real helpful. :anguished:

upload_2019-10-5_15-15-2.png

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #51,637 of 149,122
I believe whichever Bill has for sale will be the correct version.:gs1000smile:

ROFL! If I was selling any 7N7's I have several dozen I could sell, but none of them would be Frankies. I'm hoarding collecting those. :relaxed:

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #51,638 of 149,122
I have quite a few Melz 1578’s in my collection and I am liking some years better than others. It is also important IMHO to replace the pin solder.

Mine is, according to the seller, manufactured 1970 and tests 15.2/14.5. It has all the tell-tale signs of a real 1578 (plates, top mica and supports). It sounds fine, nice detail, but it lacks any sort of punch.

This tube together with the Psvane UK-6SN7 are the two most expensive I bought, and also the two I liked the least. Go figure. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #51,639 of 149,122
ROFL! If I was selling any 7N7's I have several dozen I could sell, but none of them would be Frankies. I'm hoarding collecting those. :relaxed:

It is starting to come back to me, you are the guy who applies pet names to tubes then holds them hostage. :ksc75smile:

I jest, Bill is probably the countries leading authority on that tube, a most singular accomplishment I am sure.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #51,640 of 149,122
Mine is, according to the seller, manufactured 1970 and tests 15.2/14.5. It has all the tell-tale signs of a real 1578 (plates, top mica and supports). It sounds fine, nice detail, but it lacks any sort of punch.

This tube together with the Psvane UK-6SN7 are the two most expensive I bought, and also the two I liked the least. Go figure. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The date is right inside the logo bottom right last I looked. They are less volatile than Foton pins so you may be fine.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #51,641 of 149,122
It is starting to come back to me, you are the guy who applies pet names to tubes then holds them hostage. :ksc75smile:

I jest, Bill is probably the countries leading authority on that tube, a most singular accomplishment I am sure.

Yes, 7N7 expertise ranks right on up there with world peace, global warming, and a cure for cancer. Not sure which is the proper order though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #51,642 of 149,122
The date is right inside the logo bottom right last I looked. They are less volatile than Foton pins so you may be fine.

Haven’t replaced the solder, but the connection seems solid. I have cleaned the outside of the pins though. Unfortunately, the only markings left on it are on the base. I tried to take a picture of it:

761C7BE7-FEFF-4149-BEDA-8829D69A1B41.jpeg

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #51,643 of 149,122
Haven’t replaced the solder, but the connection seems solid. I have cleaned the outside of the pins though. Unfortunately, the only markings left on it are on the base. I tried to take a picture of it:

Well that certainly looks correct, I had not seen one with a missing logo but I only buy those in NOS.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #51,644 of 149,122
Big +1 on that.

Only thing you're missing now is one of these. Then you can start squandering all your spare cash on different tubes to roll, and begin a new incurable addiction. Not that you necessarily *have* to roll tubes (the optional new issue Tung Sol is just fine), but a very high probability that resistance will be futile. :slight_smile:

I'm leaning towards getting a Vali 2 next. Within my budget without worry and I have quite a few tubes to roll into it to keep me busy for a while. My next choice up would be a Valhalla, though that chassis size will require a re-think on the currently available space next to the couch. In the meantime, I have a lot of CDs to rediscover!

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #51,645 of 149,122
I'm leaning towards getting a Vali 2 next. Within my budget without worry and I have quite a few tubes to roll into it to keep me busy for a while. My next choice up would be a Valhalla, though that chassis size will require a re-think on the currently available space next to the couch. In the meantime, I have a lot of CDs to rediscover!

My Vali 2 has been exceptionally rugged considering some of the tubes I run through it with adapters. $100 B stock is a great way for me to burn in and evaluate specific tubes before they go on to more costly amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back