Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #49,666 of 149,328
I don't think dacs are obsolete after 5 years. cheap or no

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #49,667 of 149,328
10 years ago, when I bought a DAC, I expected it to be obsolete in 3 or 4 years, the technology was that dynamic. Seven years ago, when I bought the s-d DAC in question, the technology was maturing. So I figured maybe 5 years.

Yes I would agree that today the horizon may be a couple of years longer, but none of the DACs I use are more than 6 years old. But again I am fortunate enough, and cheap enough about coffee grinders, that I can 'keep-up' on DACs.

NF

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #49,668 of 149,328

StarHopper TEST Soon!

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 6.17.01 PM.png

Wow that was cool!

That Raptor engine is bad ass.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #49,669 of 149,328
finding Schiit I found better equipment that costs less, and that discovery has only cost me a few thousand $$.

Welp I started with Schiit, to pair with my HD6XX's. I'm now neck deep in Schiit at home and at the office. I haven't found an audio company that does as good or better for less. Maybe Emotiva, but only one item. The A-100 is pretty frigging awesome for what it does, and the fan never runs (I actually wonder if it works).

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #49,670 of 149,328
I started with Schitt because a friend offered to sell me his integrated tube amp (he and his wife were planning on fostering kids, and hot tubes do not mix well with small children). However, his tube amp lacked a phono preamp and a headphone out. I was planning on getting some decent headphones and liked the Sennheiser HD600s. Since I had the tube amp, I wanted tube headphone amp. Found lots of things saying they were a good match, so now I have the Valhalla 2, Fulla 2, and Modi Multibit. I am tempted to one day maybe get a Mani or a Jil, but not yet.

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #49,672 of 149,328
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #49,673 of 149,328
Aug 27, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #49,674 of 149,328
My Schiit story started at my local HiFi shop. I was demoing a Allnic HPA5000 OTL headphone amp with my Audeze LCD-2s. Retail price $5K for the amp. I was floored by the sound, but couldn't afford the price. One of the sales guys said I should check out Schiit audio. That lead me here and to purchase the original Lyr. That lead to the OG Bifrost uber. That lead to all the upgrades to my current Bimby with USB gen 5. It's still my main DAC in my 2 channel system. I use the Rega Apollo and the chromecast audio as sources. I still love the sound and have little desire to upgrade.

I also have the Valhalla 2 and Vali 2 with a slough of NOS tubes. All thanks to the various Schiit tube rolling threads.

And I have a great relationship with that same shop. I dare to say, I've spent much more than $5K at that shop over the years. :beyersmile:

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #49,675 of 149,328
So far, the Ragnarok 2 and Magnepan LRS get along quite well! Playing bass heavy music as loud as I can bear, the Rag 2 finally reached a temperature that I'd actually call warm, but still way below a bored Vidar (which I have yet to introduce to the newlings).

I was much more worried about compatibility with my cat, who luckily hasn't recognized the LRS as Left & Right Scratch posts. Yet.

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #49,677 of 149,328
Was on a summer holiday when all the “How I got into Schiit” was going on. So here is my story.

In 2014 I was looking to go all digitally with my 2-channel audio system. Sell off my 3000+ albums and use that wall in the living room for other purposes. Never been a headphone guy and probably never will. The trigger for it all was the start of Qobuz, streaming service in CD quality.
Being a Quad fan for over 30 years, my gear was all Quad:: 44 pre amp, 405-2 and 520F current dumping power amp and the Quad ESL-63 electrostatic loudspeakers which I had completely serviced and revised. A Technics SL 1000 with EMT arm and Denon 103r, a Pioneer CT95 cassette deck, Braun TG 1000 tape recorder was among the other analogue stuff. First step to digitize, I bought a RME IAO sound card with AES and SPDIF output for my PC. Having read so much about the bad sound of PC USB for audio, I thought that had to be my first step.
Then I started searching the web for information on DAC’s. The differences, the prices, the makes and models. That’s when I read the New York time text about Schiit being a German or Chinese company and the name being pronounced as Shi-Tah. This is also the first time I found the Jason blog on Head Fi and haven’t stopped reading it since.

In 2014-2016 I bought and sold several DAC’s to experiment with and had several on loan from distributors. Small HifiMe DAC’s, iFI nano, Hugo Chord, Aude S16, Tent Labs Bdac+, DDDac, GD-Audio, Cambridge and many more. I wanted to by Soekris, but the 0,1 % resistor version was sold out. Heard several (non-affordable) DAC’s on audio shows like: Metrum, dCS, Totaldac. My DAC guide was Marvey’s DAC matrix on another forum. From all the SD DAC’s I liked the AKM based the best and found the ESS Sabre based the worst sounding. But all things pointed at a MB DAC being the best option to go for.

I bought my first Schiit product, the Gumby as that was the trickle down affordable MB version of the holy grail Yggy. From that moment on I was hooked and eventually every item in my chain was replaced by Schiit gear.
Upgraded Gumby to Gen5
Replaced Gumby with Yggy when the A2 upgrade was released
Introduced Mani for the Technics turntable
Bought a Sys just to test with passive volume control
A set of Vidars was introducedto drive the Quad ESL-63 speakers
Bought a Loki Mini to see if that could replace the Dirac room correction software
Bought the OG Freya
Added tubes and LISST for the Freya
Bought a Magni3 just for fun

My last upgrade is the replacement of the OG Freya to Freya S.
I was never happy with the tubes. Tubes are always noisy, they colour the sound, they always hiss and hum. But I needed the extra dB’s that the tube stage gave because of the low efficiency of the EL-63 speakers. Now with Freya-S I have the extra gain without the disadvantages of tubes.
Through the years I have infected several friends and family with the Schiit virus, old an young generation. If the Net Promotor Score question is posed to me about Schiit, I will always recommend this company to any audio lover with a score of 11 on a scale of 10.
Next step? Aegirs if they play loud enough to feed the Quads? Will they be an improvement on The Vidars? And today maybe other new stuff I like will be revealed.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #49,678 of 149,328
We must have new Schiit coming today. Curious to see what.
My Schiit story started on the toilet. Read about it on Darko Audio (John H. Darko writes great). After lurking for a year and some months I subscribed. Like the way Jason and Mike write. Their interviews are, distinguish themselves easily. Would love to buy a lot of Schiit but all mys stuff works, and works well, so only a Fulla2 and a Vali2 which give me headphone pleasure in the offices. (home and work). Excellent stuff and for sure shall buy more Schiit in the future. Perhaps the first shall be a Freya S to upgrade my current digital volume control on my BMC-2 but I doubt ... trying will be the only way to solve that :)

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #49,679 of 149,328
So far, the Ragnarok 2 and Magnepan LRS get along quite well! Playing bass heavy music as loud as I can bear, the Rag 2 finally reached a temperature that I'd actually call warm, but still way below a bored Vidar (which I have yet to introduce to the newlings).

I was much more worried about compatibility with my cat, who luckily hasn't recognized the LRS as Left & Right Scratch posts. Yet.

Wow...Maggies & Cats -- talk about tempting fate :wink:

I'd recommend getting your cat it's own set of headphones...stat!

images

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #49,680 of 149,328
I push multiple buttons for my cup o’joe In the morning...

Edit: video is for reference only as my office has the same machine =)

We have the same machine here at work. Not bad for office coffee.

It also needs a 16oz button.

ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back