Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #49,353 of 153,242
Aug 15, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #49,354 of 153,242
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #49,356 of 153,242
I stumbled upon Schiit by complete coincidence. I was looking for a small tube amp, and happened to find the Schiit website. I laughed so hard at the snark in the FAQ that I just had to buy a Modi and Magni (this was before the Vali 2 came out, which is the form factor I originally wanted).

Now several years later I have purchased probably 5 Magnis and Modis (gifts for friends), some Fullas, a Wyrd, Loki, Bifrost, Valhalla 2, Lyr 2, Vidar, Saga S, and probably more. Needless to say I'm very well hooked. Previously living in an apartment meant I couldn't go too crazy with speakers. Therefore I went crazy with headphones. I love my setup.

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #49,357 of 153,242
I cannot for the life of me remember what got me started with Schiit. I know my Bifrost had its 6th birthday about a week ago. Since then upgraded it to Uber, got a Mani2 and a Fulla 2 and a Gumby. Love how Schiit sounds.

Room constraints would favor relatively small floor standers that work well close to the front wall.
Best small floorstander I've heard (at a CAF) is the Joseph Audio Profile. Totem makes some damn fine products as well. And I lusted after the Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand for a while but their smaller offerings sound great as well. Another speaker I was looking at was the Role Audio ones.

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #49,358 of 153,242
I found this forum via Google while researching headphone amplifiers. I wanted something smallish that would make my Senn HD650s stand up and dance. Wanted something that was small enough to fit on the cluttered end table next to my end of the couch. At the time I was figuring I would need to DIY. Anyway, finding Jason's (this) thread and reading his posts about starting up Schiit, and that Mike Moffat was also involved, seriously intriguing. I decided to buy a Fulla 2 - figured I'd see how good a job they could do with a budget piece. Blown away. The tradeoffs are in all the right places, it's a really nice and versatile piece of gear. And when my budget allowed, I bought the Modi MB and a Magni 3. And more headphones. And a Loki. And now I'm contemplating something with tubes.

Signed,
A Very Happy Customer!!

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #49,359 of 153,242
I first heard about Schiit through the NWAVGuy (sp?) controversy, I think.

No publicity is bad publicity? :ksc75smile:

LOL this was what brought me to Schiit too. At that time, there was already some interest in Schiit stuff in my local circle, I distinctly remember the conversations around the Asgard causing headphones drivers to flex.

Fast forward to today, my only DAC is Schiit, my only headphone amp is Schiit, and my only phono stage is Schiit.

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #49,360 of 153,242
Aug 15, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #49,361 of 153,242
Since Jason asked: I was looking for something to use with my Grado RS1i's, which I thought were utterly badass back then. Until then, I was using the headphone jack on my desktop computer with generic mystery sound card. I don't recall Schiit having much of a presence on Headfi back in 2013 (unlike now) when I was doing research, or quite possibly I just missed them or the reviews were vague. For the budget I wanted to spend, the alternatives weren't exactly that many and pretty much all reviews were like "this product is good. You should buy it." So pretty much everything seemed the same. After trying to research, getting frustrated and eventually giving up, what sealed the deal was the rocker switch on the Magni (which no other amp had) and their irreverent website. I had order the M&M stack on Amazon (questioning why I was spending $200 for this), and it arrived on July 3, 2013. I came back from work that day, tossed the box on the table and forgot about it. Next day was spent bbqing, so on the table the box continued to sit. The day after was a Friday, so I had woke up and discovered another wonderful thing, 120 proof Knob Creek (neat with a drop of water) and glazed donuts. I opened up the various boxes and got the M&M stack up and running with no problems. I plugged in the Grado's, put on some music... and it was glorious.

Post script: I was debating whether to order directly from Schiit, but the website while funny, seemed "suspicious". Kind of like a Nigerian Prince scam vibe. At least I had some recourse from Amazon if this purchase indeed went south.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #49,362 of 153,242
Back in 2013 I had a little extra money and treated myself to a pair of Sennheiser HD598s, which my ex-girlfriend thought was completely nuts. I got on Head-Fi and little by little started learning about amps and DACs, etc. I bought some dongle that shall remain unnamed, and it was decent but nothing special compared to a smartphone or PC headphone jack.
At some point I stumbled upon Schiit threads, had a laugh (the good kind) about their name and attitude, and a bit later I bought Modi and Vali. To this day I think entry level Schiit has been the biggest jump in audio quality I’ve experienced.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #49,363 of 153,242
I first got into schiit while exploring vinyl playback. I started seeing reviews of the Mani and started poking around the site. Tried a Mani and loved it in my budget/2nd hand system. Then picked up a modi to try with my CD player/phone etc. Another win. It was almost a year after that I finally bought some HE400i on sale and a vali 2. I thought it weird after the fact that I kind of went backwards; starting with a phono preamp, moving to a dac, then finally a headphone amp. But, that Mani was the gateway, and I'm not sure if I would have moved toward headphones at all without that specific exposure.

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #49,364 of 153,242
I hope the traditional product is finally the gadget. I don’t care how it’s packaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back