Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 2, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #48,003 of 150,608
A wise man once said, "Continually worrying about the Next Big Thing leaves you empty handed."

And how big would the next big thing need to be?? Personally I think the Yggy is the last component in my system that could benefit from an “upgrade.” I would have no hesitation to buy one right now. Might even be able to get a great deal on a used one from the guy waiting for the next big thing.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #48,006 of 150,608
Do you feel that a single Aegir has insufficient power? I'm looking for a desktop system 2 feet distance from my head. Need best quality at low volume. Ragnarok 2 is another option, but can't find any review yet.
I think it will be incredibly dependent on your loudspeakers efficiency and whether it wakes up with low power. I do feel it is a little underpowered for me, but I have Lores in a big room and definitely not nearfield.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #48,007 of 150,608
Hi everyone, very new to this forum but have been reading and learning. I received my Rag 2 yesterday and hooked everything up...Forte iii speakers...mobile fidelity ultradeck tt. Sounds great so far, i was using an outlaw 2160. Maybe a simple question...what is better for volume control? Low gain (1st setting) with volume turned to about 3-4:00...or higher gain turned to lower volume

Thx

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #48,008 of 150,608
Hi everyone, very new to this forum but have been reading and learning. I received my Rag 2 yesterday and hooked everything up...Forte iii speakers...mobile fidelity ultradeck tt. Sounds great so far, i was using an outlaw 2160. Maybe a simple question...what is better for volume control? Low gain (1st setting) with volume turned to about 3-4:00...or higher gain turned to lower volume

Thx

Recieved mine today and for my Sennheiser HD600 and 800 I am going with the medium setting so far (somewhere between 12 and 1). I know that my Phono Pre needs a little bit more amplification than the Yggy so I went for the additional headroom in the volume knob. I could not hear differences in sound between both anyway.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #48,009 of 150,608

Thx
Use the setting that produces the least noise.

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #48,010 of 150,608
Now it's time to finally ask the question that is weighing heavily on everyone's mind ...

OK @Jason Stoddard: How does the new Rag2 sound with:

Capture.JPG

:smirk:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #48,013 of 150,608
I only have one Aegir, so just stereo. Low volume sounds great as well to me.
Perfect. The lack of bass is actually good thing for me because my wife hears when I listen from another room and asks me to reduce the volume. Extra mids can improve the sound at the max volume that is still not bothering others. Freya S should be a perfect match.
But I'm still waiting for Rag 2 reviews for better picture.

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #48,014 of 150,608
I’m unhappy with my sound right now. The Saga doesn’t give enough bottom end and punch to the Aegir in my experience (into Tekton Lore OG). Agree that’s the highs and upper mids are really spectacular with the Aegir and Saga combo, but at giant expense of the lower mids through sub bass. I had Vidar before. It was a very nice amp. Some transformer noise, but I think they can fix that; not the most refined in the highs, but amazing PRaT, and punch, worked well with the Saga because Vidar has unbelievable, effortless gain. Kind of regret swapping it for the Aegir. My best guess is that Freya S/Freya + is the solution. An actual gain stage (4x for balanced vs Unity gain on Saga). With that move, I could also get a second Aegir down the line if needed for more power (which I expect might be where I'm heading). Bottom line for me, Aegir is unreal in detail and musicality from the upper mids on up, in my setup, but I’m really feeling the lack of gain in the pre stage isn’t doing me any favors.
The loss of the lower end in my system isn't quite as bad as you're finding. It's noticeable for sure but I love the overall sound with Aegir much more than with Vidar. I certainly wouldn't mind getting some of the punch back though. I'll be totally curious to hear what your experience is if you do get a Freya and 2nd Aegir.

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #48,015 of 150,608
Perfect. The lack of bass is actually good thing for me because my wife hears when I listen from another room and asks me to reduce the volume. Extra mids can improve the sound at the max volume that is still not bothering others. Freya S should be a perfect match.
But I'm still waiting for Rag 2 reviews for better picture.
It's definitely not completely void of bass, lol. I mean the overall sound feels full to me. Just wish it had a bit more of the fun low-end pep that Vidar had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back