Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 30, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #47,071 of 149,386
Idk, I’ve bought lots of schiit over the last couple years, including a Freya with LISST last year because I just wanted a balanced remote pre, didn’t care about tubes. Sure there’s a cheaper SS option now, but it doesn’t make mine sound worse than it did before.
I just hope the LISST “tubes” last a long time since they’re not making them any more

May 30, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #47,075 of 149,386
Why would you want a DAC downstream of the preamp? As I understand it, the preamp is the last in line before the amp.

The preamp doesn't have to be the last in line before the power amp. In guitar amps, its very common to put effects in an "effects loop" between pre and power amps. Its where you put effects that have time modifiers on them so they don't get hit with preamp gain. Phasers, flangers, delays, reverb, etc. I'm going to put my loki between my saga and vidar to shape the tone of everything flowing through the saga. Also in hifi setups, people will sometimes put in tube buffers between the pre and power, but I've never personally done that, so I'm not sure the details other than I assume it gives you some tube warmth.

May 30, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #47,078 of 149,386
The preamp doesn't have to be the last in line before the power amp. In guitar amps, its very common to put effects in an "effects loop" between pre and power amps. Its where you put effects that have time modifiers on them so they don't get hit with preamp gain. Phasers, flangers, delays, reverb, etc. I'm going to put my loki between my saga and vidar to shape the tone of everything flowing through the saga. Also in hifi setups, people will sometimes put in tube buffers between the pre and power, but I've never personally done that, so I'm not sure the details other than I assume it gives you some tube warmth.

Good point; I did see discussion about the Loki and using it between the preamp and amp in order to equalize all sources. I don't understand, though, why you would want a DAC downstream of the preamp.

May 30, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #47,079 of 149,386
So, it's possible to get a preamp with a bank of COAXIAL, SPID/F, HDMI x.x, USB x.x, or even TOSLINK inputs... and have both a (digital out [for another DAC]) and/or a analog RCA out (for an amplifier).
To me, that looks like an audio-specific "internet router" or "internet switch". Ooof. :ksc75smile:

BTW, @Ableza .... I read your response and used the voice of ZeFrank. "That's what a preamp do..."
Yes, it is possible and indeed there are likely preamps exactly like that available on the market. In fact, many HT preamps do all of those things.

You may use any voice for me you choose. Aflac.

May 30, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #47,080 of 149,386
No, I'm not kidding. Wouldn't you feel a little slighted under the same circumstances? At least BestBuy would have offered a price adjustment.
I would feel like I paid the price that was listed at the time for something I wanted when I wanted it. Prices go up and down all the time. When I buy something that is later discounted I don't cry about it, I think "well damn."

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #47,081 of 149,386
To be fair, that $299 version you are talking about is without a tube. Many would consider a tube to be worth that $50 (and there are lots of tubes that are worth more then $50, and that is without the additional circuitry needed to put a tube into a system). And yes, there are other upgrades in that $299 version that would be nice.

That being said, I can understand your frustration. Perhaps if you reach out to their customer service, something can be arranged. Or not. I do not work for them so I do not know their policies.

The $299 price does include a tube, the Russian NOS 6N8S, which . I got that one with my Saga, plus I ordered the Tung-Sol 6NS7 as well for an additional $24.

May 30, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #47,083 of 149,386
Having just paid $350 for the Saga on May 1st, with no indication that it would be discontinued and selling for $299 within the month, I am not a happy camper. The Saga is the fifth product I've bought from Schiit and I would have expected some form of heads up.
Wow, just wow. Should Jason have called you personally, sent along an edible arrangement?

May 30, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #47,084 of 149,386
@Jason Stoddard while you are telling this guy to hold off on his order go ahead and send me what-ever you and Mike got cooking in 2043 :)

I guess I'm not made out of money like you guys, and $50 is $50. If it was a couple of months since the purchase I wouldn't have said anything, but it was less than 30 days. At least Schiit Audio is somewhat more understanding than you because they are working with me towards a remediation.

May 30, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #47,085 of 149,386
I guess I'm not made out of money like you guys, and $50 is $50. If it was a couple of months since the purchase I wouldn't have said anything, but it was less than 30 days. At least Schiit Audio is somewhat more understanding than you because they are working with me towards a remediation.
Just because Schiit is working with you on your little tantrum, doesn't mean it is right. You bought a product that was a given price, one you were comfortable paying when you ordered it. The transaction is finished. I bet you're the kind of person who will complain about a meal at a restaurant after you have already eaten the whole thing, and then gets pissed with the manager won't comp your meal. "The CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" type. The worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back