Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #46,442 of 150,840
I wonder if @Jason Stoddard would ever consider an Asgard 2 based unit with a relay stepped attenuator and a remote. Then it would be a remote controlled, attenuated, full Class A solid state hp amp and preamp.

I enjoy my saga, but I admit to not being fully sold on tubes yet. The tube effect into vidar is minimal from what can tell. The fotons I'm using give it a small V shape effect. Increased bass and treble presence. While enjoyable, as far as I can hear the tube effect is nothing a Loki can't do.

Controversial I'm sure.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #46,443 of 150,840
To add to the streamer discussion, I'm curious about the little Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stream-box-s2-ultra/

USB audio input (from a computer) and output (to connect to a USB DAC), wired/wireless network input to be controlled with an app, stream Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, act as a Roon endpoint, use DLNA, can play files from attached USB storage devices, supports Bluetooth, has an HDMI out to display information... all for 700 EUR.

Edit: Now on Audio Advice for $850 (https://www.audioadvice.com/pro-ject-stream-box-s2-ultra+color-Silver)

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #46,444 of 150,840
Gamers use headsets that have microphones for multiplayer games.
Office workers often have conference calls over Skype etc. Being able to run a pair of headphones and a ModMic from a single box would be much more convenient than having separate setups for music and voice calls. I currently use such a setup at work (dac/amp + iems for music, separate headset for voice calls) and switching between the two is annoying as hell.

May 12, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #46,445 of 150,840
To add to the streamer discussion, I'm curious about the little Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stream-box-s2-ultra/

USB audio input (from a computer) and output (to connect to a USB DAC), wired/wireless network input to be controlled with an app, stream Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, act as a Roon endpoint, use DLNA, can play files from attached USB storage devices, supports Bluetooth, has an HDMI out to display information... all for 700 EUR.

I have one of those. Some might find the price tag outrageous, since it's basically a Raspberry Pi with some added features but I am happy with it. All I wanted was to stream music from my USB drive and from Tidal/Qobuz to my Gumby (the only reason I'd ever give that one up would be an Yggy). I tried a Raspberry Pi with Rune for a while but it a) caused a nasty hum when using the USB out to the DAC and b) getting Tidal on it was annoying so I tried the Pro-Ject. Super simple to set up, works the way I wanted it to and the hum is gone as well (there is a hum when using the HDMI though). There were some playlist related kinks with Tidal and Qobuz but they've updated the software so those are mostly gone, especially with Tidal. Qobuz still had the occasional glitch the last time I checked.

I haven't tried out Roon, so I can't say anything about how well it works on the Stream Box.

May 12, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #46,446 of 150,840
Office workers often have conference calls over Skype etc. Being able to run a pair of headphones and a ModMic from a single box would be much more convenient than having separate setups for music and voice calls. I currently use such a setup at work (dac/amp + iems for music, separate headset for voice calls) and switching between the two is annoying as hell.
Very annoying to change headsets. I've got that under control in my office, the new Hel/Fulla3/whatever will make that possible on the road. I'm excited, nothing quite like it on the market.

May 12, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #46,447 of 150,840
Hi Scuba,

Well i really dont know, cause i never heard Asgard 2 (actually i only listen Woo wa 2), i was just asking cause i want a SS amp, and probably Jotunheim will be to bright to use with Grados.
So my doubt right now is between freya/Saga+Aegir+Asgard 2 / 3 or jotunheim, or just Rag 2, thats why im asking. i need make choices very soon
Cheers!

Pedro

Pedro, I use Grado RS2e’s with Asgard 2, and I’m very happy with how it sounds (rest of the chain is Mac Mini to eitr to modi multibit)

May 12, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #46,448 of 150,840
Pedro, I use Grado RS2e’s with Asgard 2, and I’m very happy with how it sounds (rest of the chain is Mac Mini to eitr to modi multibit)

Thanks @decodm !
Probably will try it :)

May 12, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #46,449 of 150,840
May 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #46,450 of 150,840
Hi Scuba,....{snip}....Well i really dont know, cause i never heard Asgard 2 (actually i only listen Woo wa 2), i was just asking cause i want a SS amp, and probably Jotunheim will be to bright to use with Grados......{snip}....So my doubt right now is between freya/Saga+Aegir+Asgard 2 / 3 or jotunheim, or just Rag 2, thats why im asking. i need make choices very soon
Cheers!....{snip}.....Pedro
Looking forward to your impressions, @Pedro Janeiro (user with the creepy avatar). :)
I wonder if @Jason Stoddard would ever consider an Asgard 2 based unit with a relay stepped attenuator and a remote. Then it would be a remote controlled, attenuated, full Class A solid state hp amp and preamp.

I enjoy my saga, but I admit to not being fully sold on tubes yet. The tube effect into vidar is minimal from what can tell. The fotons I'm using give it a small V shape effect. Increased bass and treble presence. While enjoyable, as far as I can hear the tube effect is nothing a Loki can't do.

Controversial I'm sure.
My observation: (Tube Effects) = (Vali 2) > (Valhalla 2). I understand your point on the Loki. I under-utilize mine (due to my inexperience).

Re: 700 EUR. Eeek, @Alcophone ... ~$1058CDN. I forget how fortunate I am with cross-border shopping. :dollar:
@Yethal ... do you suspect Schiit might want to offer a device aimed at the commercial call-centre market?
Very annoying to change headsets. I've got that under control in my office, the new Hel/Fulla3/whatever will make that possible on the road. I'm excited, nothing quite like it on the market.
@scottbrown5271 ... Ibid. do you think Schiit might want to tap into the commercial, call-centre market (like Platronics)? Or, online gaming market?
Thanks @decodm !
Probably will try it :)
The (Asgard2) + (Grado) might be a nice pairing indeed. When I initially set up my new toy (Valhalla2), I was surprised by its small size. It's a heavy chunk of steel. Your Asgard might appear significantly lighter. These units get warm (ignore Nervous-Nellies like me who set up little PC fans to blow cooling air over the chassis [they run warm, by design]). Unless, it's sitting in a pool of flammable liquid or vapours, it won't be a fire hazard. :ksc75smile:

May 12, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #46,451 of 150,840
do you suspect Schiit might want to offer a device aimed at the commercial call-centre market?

I doubt that.... there are well established players already (eg. Plantronics, Jabra, Sennheiser) who make very inexpensive headsets/mics that run directly from USB and link to a phone system that is all PC based. Much cheaper (when purchased in qty) and poorer and quality than Schiit gear. I know, I work for a call centre operation :)

Gaming, Office folks and Road Warriors I suspect.

May 12, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #46,452 of 150,840
[QUOTE="
@scottbrown5271 ... Ibid. do you think Schiit might want to tap into the commercial, call-centre market (like Platronics)? Or, online gaming market?

I think the device might already be ideal for some gamers. It does everything needed except 5.1 or 7.1. That is a thing for a lot of hard core gamers. Not gonna happen. But the ones who do use it will get to experience engineering focused on very high quality sound, and the inclusion of what is very likely going to be a pretty good ADC. At a good price, "designed and assembled in the USA" (I really hate that phrase... "Made in" works for me...) with a real warranty backed by a real company based right here in the USA. So, yeah, maybe some marketing in that direction might be a good idea.

Plantronics, et al? Too many different handset interfaces; It is a non-standard, proprietary quagmire among those companies. Call centers? Compete with China, Inc., in a race to the bottom? Abandon hope all ye who enter there...

May 12, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #46,453 of 150,840
@Yethal ... do you suspect Schiit might want to offer a device aimed at the commercial call-centre market?

Doubt it but a device aimed at gamers and people working in cross-office environments sounds probable.

Creative has such devices

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #46,455 of 150,840
Doubt it but a device aimed at gamers and people working in cross-office environments sounds probable.....{snip}.....Creative has such devices
True. I'll be curious what quirks Schiit adds to their next device to attract young/new users.

Lets not forget schiit had a spot on the popular channel Linus Tech Tips.
A YouTube channel Aimed mostly at gamers, and my first introduction to Schiit. I think the new product is great, and I think the black and red color scheme looks awesome.

LTT turned me onto Schiit (and away I went [they liked the initial products; however, their threads didn't get into the weeds quite like this site... and I like slinking around in the weeds... like some kind of pond scum]). :frog: I know @Baldr & crew made it very clear what they think of proprietary codexes (like Dolby XYZ). Fulla 3.x or Hel... ? I won't need it. Meh, we'll see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back