Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #46,336 of 150,719
First world problems I'm currently encountering

1) I have Yggy phase 1 and want to update the analog output but also don't want to have to send it back once more when the new USB drops. I currently use BNC from my Bryston BDP and it's just fine. Not sure if the new USB will be better. Maybe? I hear it might. I dunno. Perhaps this version will also be "user serviceable"
2) I have the original Ragnarok as well. I'm contemplating selling but it's just so good. Who knows what the secondary market will do when the new one drops. Again, love it and may just keep it for my other audio room in my new place. But, it would be nice to get while the getting is good. Who knows.

Anyway. Rant over. Everything sounds great now and will continue to sound great and that's what matters. Enjoying the music. Thoughts?

May 9, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #46,337 of 150,719
I would love a schiit hat. Ic2 connection to my Rpi A sleek little case around it all to match.
My modi connected to it is good enough for me. It has dlna,air play, spotify, and atp,yes it isnt volumo nor is it $400 dollars for effectively the same thing minus a fancier power supply, but my family just uses airplay and they don't worry about doing it right.

May 9, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #46,338 of 150,719

1) I have Yggy phase 1 and want to update the analog output but also don't want to have to send it back once more when the new USB drops. I currently use BNC from my Bryston BDP and it's just fine. Not sure if the new USB will be better. Maybe? I hear it might. I dunno. Perhaps this version will also be "user serviceable"
2) I have the original Ragnarok as well. I'm contemplating selling but it's just so good. Who knows what the secondary market will do when the new one drops. Again, love it and may just keep it for my other audio room in my new place. But, it would be nice to get while the getting is good. Who knows.

Anyway. Rant over. Everything sounds great now and will continue to sound great and that's what matters. Enjoying the music. Thoughts?

Don't go chasing what you already got.
If you are happy, then your happy.

May 9, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #46,339 of 150,719

Not to sound like the Twilight Zone opening..."But what if I told you that everything you have, which sounds great to you, will still sound great after Schiit announces, releases, introduces or offers to sell a newer, better version of what you have?"

'Upgrade-itis' is a sub-diagnosis of Audiophilia Nervosa. It prevents the current system from sounding as good as it did the day before something new is finally announced.

I personally will be happy when they close-out the Eitr, the Ragnarok, and the Yggys when the Yggy 2, the Rag 2 and new-fangled 'USB-that is better than SPDIF' hit the market.

Until then, I will struggle to enjoy what I already have...:astonished::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::upside_down:

May 9, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #46,340 of 150,719
Not to sound like the Twilight Zone opening..."But what if I told you that everything you have, which sounds great to you, will still sound great after Schiit announces, releases, introduces or offers to sell a newer, better version of what you have?"

'Upgrade-itis' is a sub-diagnosis of Audiophilia Nervosa. It prevents the current system from sounding as good as it did the day before something new is finally announced.

I personally will be happy when they close-out the Eitr, the Ragnarok, and the Yggys when the Yggy 2, the Rag 2 and new-fangled 'USB-that is better than SPDIF' hit the market.

Until then, I will struggle to enjoy what I already have...:astonished::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::upside_down:
Yup. Like I said. First world problems. My speaker and headphone system is the best I've ever heard and my toes are tapping every night enjoying it. I think I'll maybe bother with the analog stage at some point but right now....man it's pretty special.

May 9, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #46,342 of 150,719
I seriously doubt that the Ragnarok 2 will sound better than the 1.
Dude Rag 2 will be a confusing product I bet you. You know why? People will compare it with Rag 1 when rag 2 is actually running a internal schiit DAC. Also Stoddard said it is focused on the speaker amp section unlike rag 1. So higher noise. I am sure; it will be all over interesting. lol. Another thing I could not digest is; how come rag 2 is cheaper to make; I mean where is teh compromise?

May 9, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #46,343 of 150,719
I'm patiently awaiting a comparison between Vidar and Aegir (Monoblock).

That review linked had a comparison. There was no comparison, Aegir was better.

It's interesting you should mention caffeine, because I've noticed that has a clear effect on critical listening as well.
We talked about caffeine a while ago on here. It has bad effects on hearing. IIRC it makes ears take longer to recover from loud noises. May ultimately lead to more tinnitus. I still drank my gallon of coffee every day!

I also got 'Calibrated' for what is possible in terms of SQ many decades back,

I know you mean something different but I'm always surprised at how many people don't get calibrated to what music in a real acoustic space sounds like (and, preferably, with non-virtual instruments). I'm getting calibrated on Saturday at the symphony! :wink:

May 9, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #46,344 of 150,719
Guys, I have an honest and straight question to you. Why are people so obsessed about Roon, audionirvana, Tidal etc. so much?

Let's discuss the evolution of video which may help answer your question. Broadcast color television became a thing in the US around the mid-1950's. It was grainy, very little contrast, low resolution. It was amazing and served the purpose of being able to see people, the objects they were holding, where they stood in the room, etc. Cable provided a bit better picture because the signal then became consistent. No longer were you dependent on geography to maintain the best picture the technology could deliver. Then DVD upped the resolution, was better at syncing film to the home standard, and that even provided an easy way to take the interlaced standard and convert it to progressive effectively doubling the resolution. Now even more detail emerged on the screen. You could actually start to read that notepad on the desk, you could identify logos throughout the room, even what type of pen the actor was using. The next technology was HD which upped the resolution even further. Now you're reading notepads on desks in the back of the room, you can identify that the actor has not shaved in 3 days, you can see fine detail in wardrobes, faults in make-up, etc. Now we have 4K TV and soon 8K and with it is HDR which brings a wider color gamut and better contrast. With this improvement you can see details in birds across a fence line all the way in the back of a field, identify individual parts of a flower below that fence line, watch the details on the wings of a butterfly as it lands on the flower, all while the sun sets across the entire scene. Now this 2D image is conveying a depth and realism and it truly becomes a "window". If you've ever calibrated a high-end television or monitor and hit that sweet "window" effect it truly does feel as if you are looking out of a window. Things within the image just pop into place. Things become 3d and you forget you're looking at a pre-recorded video. You've brought that scene into your environment and you're now experiencing it.

Audio can do the same thing. Of course our "window" is not something we're looking at but we're hearing. That's what some of us are chasing. With compressed audio there is plenty of information, or resolution, there to completely understand what is going on and follow the story but only at an early broadcast TV level. Not being able to read the notepad probably isn't influencing your like or dislike of the material. When I sit in my listening room though I want to read that notebook. This not only requires higher resolution source material so that the writing on the notebook is actually clear in the recording but that I've calibrated my system to resolve the additional detail. Speaking specifically about the music....

Reproducing that "window" I describe is also what I'm striving for in my listening environment. I want to hear the high-hat to the right of the toms. I want the singer in front of the drums. I want to hear how hard and quickly the guitarist is hitting the fret. How quickly fingers are moving across the fret board. The saxophonist taking a breath. A chair moving in an orchestra and which player moved. Pages turning in that same orchestra. That creates my window and I absolutely want to experience that. Certain recordings will manipulate phase to put sounds behind you or pan front to back. You, in your space, are now sitting within that recording. You're there with the artists. Window achieved.

So why the obsession? First, it starts with the requirement of a source which actually contains that additional detail. Compressed audio formats roll off this fine detail and/or eliminate it completely. Then you need a playback system which is able to resolve these fine details. This is where software like Roon, Audirvana, JRiver, and other high-resolution software comes in. This software is bypassing any processing within the OS which would modify the original recording. The goal is to get as pure a "signal" out of the system as possible. Additionally, timing becomes a big part of this. You'll often hear people talk about jitter. Jitter impacts the playback equipment from doing the right thing in the analog domain. Again, we're talking about things in the recording that are often very quick and are subtle. They don't change the narrative of the music you're listening to but it's easy to lose them and when when lost the placement of instruments and that window starts to collapse.

I will do a lot of music discovery across every source available to me but when I finally find something I like I take it up to my listening room. I will sit and focus just on that recording. Honestly, if the recording is terrible, no matter how much I like the music, it literally feels like nails on a chalkboard. There are certain recordings that are so bad it's literally like trying to watch broadcast TV when I'm too far from the tower. It's painful and a waste of time. That doesn't mean I won't go back to iMac and cheap headphones and watch at my desk. But, because there is so much well produced and engaging music I get that window effect with, that is generally where I spend my time. Am I prioritizing the recording quality over the music? Yes actually. But I've never had the hairs stand up on the back of my neck from watching YouTube. I like to be physically engaged with the music and that requires an uncompressed format, well recorded, produced, and mastered, an a very resolving system. That's the experience I prefer. Neither of us is wrong; listening and discovering music is the priority of the hobby. We may just be trying to listen and discover different things. I hope that helps explain the obsession.

May 9, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #46,345 of 150,719
I'd love to know if Schiit are seriously thinking of creating a Raspberry Pi streamer.

Oh I _really_ hope not. Recently went down this road with an Allo device. It's a good device and I'm happy I own it. But, it's so far from plug&play it's a bit comical. These things are still very much on the hobbyist side of the shack when it comes to build and support. I really hope Schiit stays away from that kind of endless/thankless support model and continues to focus on polished products. There are plenty of people in the Pi audio space already. Allo drop ships from India to keep costs at a minimum and I was still surprised at the price of the device. Certainly a "Made in USA" product would be even more. It's really difficult to market the "value" of a $300 product when at its core is a readily available $35 circuit board. If you're interested in a Pi based solution hit the docs and start buying boards to role your own. It's a fun hobby and the results are really good. I'm really not sure a Schiit branded Pi based device would make sense. Maybe, just maybe, if there was benefit to unison USB -> unison USB a USB HAT would make sense but even that is a stretch and I have no idea how they would support it. Also have no idea if the sending USB device makes any difference at the receiving side.

May 9, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #46,347 of 150,719
Don't go chasing what you already got.
If you are happy, then your happy.

I'm tempted to report you guys. What kind of irresponsible advice is this? How can someone be happy when someone else owns more expensive gear? :k701smile:

May 9, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #46,348 of 150,719
Hey all, just a reminder that if you're in the area, tomorrow is the next SchiitrMeet. I'll be there, with Ragnarok 2 and Aegir. Sorry, no other new stuff...yet!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 9, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #46,350 of 150,719
Hey all, just a reminder that if you're in the area, tomorrow is the next SchiitrMeet. I'll be there, with Ragnarok 2 and Aegir. Sorry, no other new stuff...yet!
You still should think of a way for us Europeans to have a Schiitr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back