Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #46,351 of 149,353
To the people who think Roon is a scam: have you used it? If yes then please tell me what is scammy about it. If no then get some experience before you post proving your ignorance.

May 9, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #46,353 of 149,353
To the people who think Roon is a scam: have you used it? If yes then please tell me what is scammy about it. If no then get some experience before you post proving your ignorance.
I did not call it a scam; however I started the discussion thread so I feel obliged to put my two penny. I did not call any high end file, CD, record, tidal a scam or useless. If you have a thing for same music over and over please do it. All I was trying to say is; I listen to anything and everything on internet and I love that. New stuff every day. I can not understand what people are thinking when they spend so much after they get their system. I also said, I like tidal through my system, I enjoy the buzz of LA woman through my tube amp for example. But I feel suffocated when I can not find obscure good stuff; I feel like the collection is too western and sophisticated and since the world is not limited to this; therefore unnecessary for me; even after appreciating the supirior quality.

I was just trying to give a perspective; because as much as we love our system; I kinda feel like we do not appreciate music as much. That is my realization after being an audiophile for long enough. I wanted to share that idea with you. May be that will help some of you?

Now I am open to healthy discussion. As I think I have been able to put my idea into a neat piece. In short, I have no intention to hurt anyone's feeling, just trying to give a perspective; may be? For starters try and listen Baba Mal from Africa (which country I don rem). Best of luck finding his discography in Tidal.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #46,354 of 149,353
I did not call it a scam; however I started the discussion thread so I feel obliged to put my two penny. I did not call any high end file, CD, record, tidal a scam or useless. If you have a thing for same music over and over please do it. All I was trying to say is; I listen to anything and everything on internet and I love that. New stuff every day. I can not understand what people are thinking when they spend so much after they get their system. I also said, I like tidal through my system, I enjoy the buzz of LA woman through my tube amp for example. But I feel suffocated when I can not find obscure good stuff; I feel like the collection is too western and sophisticated and since the world is not limited to this; therefore unnecessary for me; even after appreciating the supirior quality.

I was just trying to give a perspective; because as much as we love our system; I kinda feel like we do not appreciate music as much. That is my realization after being an audiophile for long enough. I wanted to share that idea with you. May be that will help some of you?

Now I am open to healthy discussion. As I think I have been able to put my idea into a neat piece. In short, I have no intention to hurt anyone's feeling, just trying to give a perspective; may be? For starters try and listen Baba Mal from Africa (which country I don rem). Best of luck finding his discography in Tidal.

It was D2Girls who said that Roon was a scam. Someone else asked why people liked Roon, so I elucidated the "why" for me of Roon in an earlier post.

To your point about being eclectic and LISTENING - to me that is EXACTLY why I have Roon. I love high quality sound and (for me) a lot of the stuff on e.g. Youtube is of such poor quality that I only use it as a means of identifying something, then I go and find a better source. Roon is the glue that pulls together all my music (and internet radio, plays, speech etc) into a single interface and plays it where I want it.

I subscribe to Tidal (though I'd drop that if Qobuz got its catalog together) and to Qobuz. I spend about $10 per week, i.e. one CD per week and can search, try, and add to my library when I like something.

For my use case this setup is starting to work very well - though it has taken a while to get here - and if I get my preamp sorted I shall be a happy, and sated, bunny. Your mileage may, of course, vary!

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #46,355 of 149,353
It was D2Girls who said that Roon was a scam. Someone else asked why people liked Roon, so I elucidated the "why" for me of Roon in an earlier post.

To your point about being eclectic and LISTENING - to me that is EXACTLY why I have Roon. I love high quality sound and (for me) a lot of the stuff on e.g. Youtube is of such poor quality that I only use it as a means of identifying something, then I go and find a better source. Roon is the glue that pulls together all my music (and internet radio, plays, speech etc) into a single interface and plays it where I want it.

I subscribe to Tidal (though I'd drop that if Qobuz got its catalog together) and to Qobuz. I spend about $10 per week, i.e. one CD per week and can search, try, and add to my library when I like something.

For my use case this setup is starting to work very well - though it has taken a while to get here - and if I get my preamp sorted I shall be a happy, and sated, bunny. Your mileage may, of course, vary!
I’m a dual subscriber too. The sound quality of Qobuz is noticeably far superior, but I find things daily on Tidal that are not on Qobuz.

May 9, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #46,356 of 149,353

My 2 cents is this. We put our systems together to get the best sound possible in the price point we can afford. Schiit provides us with terrific value. I prefer listening to the best quality I can find, be it through Roon, Tidal, Qobuz or whatever.I love searching new music in different genres through Roon Radio. I also get that some folks have had trouble with the radio being limited to their collection and not including Tidal or I suppose Qobuz. My experience has been the opposite as I've heard many new singers, groups etc. when listening. Getting on the "What are you listening to right now" thread has provided new music aplenty.

One of the big problems with Roon I have found is that it is not very good at spell check. When it searches in Tidal with an incorrect spelling it returns little or no results. In this particular case, the Senegalese gentleman of which you speak is Baaba Maal. My initial search found nothing. Qobuz must be better at discerning a misspelled name as when I tried there with the Baba Mal spelling his name came up. When trying again in Roon with the correct name, 21 albums showed up and I intend to stream The Traveler later based on your recommendation.

May 9, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #46,357 of 149,353
My 2 cents is this. We put our systems together to get the best sound possible in the price point we can afford. Schiit provides us with terrific value. I prefer listening to the best quality I can find, be it through Roon, Tidal, Qobuz or whatever.I love searching new music in different genres through Roon Radio. I also get that some folks have had trouble with the radio being limited to their collection and not including Tidal or I suppose Qobuz. My experience has been the opposite as I've heard many new singers, groups etc. when listening. Getting on the "What are you listening to right now" thread has provided new music aplenty.

One of the big problems with Roon I have found is that it is not very good at spell check. When it searches in Tidal with an incorrect spelling it returns little or no results. In this particular case, the Senegalese gentleman of which you speak is Baaba Maal. My initial search found nothing. Qobuz must be better at discerning a misspelled name as when I tried there with the Baba Mal spelling his name came up. When trying again in Roon with the correct name, 21 albums showed up and I intend to stream The Traveler later based on your recommendation.
Wow, that is pretty interesting. Will wait for other people's take/ views and perspectives. Thank you for being neutral BDW. This new world has become so biased; either you are with me or you are against me. I hate that attitude. I can be polar opposite to you and still be friends. :D

May 9, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #46,358 of 149,353

I am not sure what you are talking about. Roon is not an internet streaming service, although it can integrate those. Roon is a music server and player network. It can play any and all music you choose to give it access to, including Tuvan throat singing or whatever else you might be into. You just need it in your library. So please explain: what are you talking about?

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #46,359 of 149,353
May 9, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #46,360 of 149,353
theres any chance Asgard 3 shows up this year? @Jason Stoddard

Did Jason give any hint on that or is only you wishing it to happen?

IIRC, Jason has said:

- A new iteration of Asgard would require such a drastic amount of changes that it would end being an entirely new product, to the point it would deserve even a new name.
- Schiit is not going to make another Class A amp again, although right now I can't remember if he was talking about power amps only or headphone amps are included in that statement too.

May 9, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #46,361 of 149,353
New stuff every day
Hey, I listen to new music almost every day, as well as digging back into a collection that would take years to go over. For instance, just listening to a surprising & stunning harp transcription of Phil Glass's Metamorphosis via Qobuz that I came upon from reading something on the web. I average more than 5 albums/week, almost all new issues. Almost half hi-res, rest CD quality. I get the novelty and the quality. If I'm just listening as work or dinner background, I typically replay a certain class of favorites; otherwise almost always new music.
n this particular case, the Senegalese gentleman of which you speak is Baaba Maal. My initial search found nothing. Qobuz must be better at discerning a misspelled name as when I tried there with the Baba Mal spelling his name came up. When trying again in Roon with the correct name, 21 albums showed up and I intend to stream The Traveler later based on your recommendation.
Thanks, I also drew a blank on "Baba Mal" on Qobuz. "Baaba Maal" shows 18 albums! I love West African music (Mali, Benin, Senegal, ...), thanks @Ultimateaudioslave for the suggestion and @BagelJoe for the spelling correction. In defense of Roon/Tidal/Qobuz, good search spelling correction is not easy (I'm quite familiar with the technicalities from my day job).

May 10, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #46,362 of 149,353
Did Jason give any hint on that or is only you wishing it to happen?

IIRC, Jason has said:

- A new iteration of Asgard would require such a drastic amount of changes that it would end being an entirely new product, to the point it would deserve even a new name.
- Schiit is not going to make another Class A amp again, although right now I can't remember if he was talking about power amps only or headphone amps are included in that statement too.

Well, my memory isnt great, but Schiit is replacing now the expensive line of products and already replaced Modi and Lyr.
After Jason asked here about Asgard 3 possibility, and after said probably this year will be anounced more products than last ones, i suspected something in that segment/price range would be anounced. Who knows!? ansking wont kill nobody :D

May 10, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #46,365 of 149,353
I have used jRiver, it isn't nearly as polished as Roon. To me, Roon is worth the 10x premium over a half baked cobbled together software system.
I agree. When I've used Jriver, it was pretty crappy at least on mac. So much so that I went back to using itunes until I tried Roon. Coming up on my one year of subscription and will definitely be switching to a lifetime license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back