Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #46,261 of 149,390
I'm not sure what numbers are being used here. If one is doing a relative comparison,
I've encountered this before as well, confusing sample rate (redbook 44.1khz) with data rate (mp3 320kbps) - frustrating....

compressed lossy mp3/acc is just schiit, no matter the sample or bitrate. it's fun demonstrating the difference

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #46,262 of 149,390
One fifth the bit rate of 320kbps, not good for music

64kbps is not good for music if one is talking about compressed mp3 audio or uncompressed. But it doesn't have any relationship to the output of a Jil which is generating better than CD output at vastly higher bit rates than 64kbps (i.e. 9216kbps). I've heard that 32kbps is also not good for music.

May 7, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #46,263 of 149,390
I mean when you think about it (vs. hear it) weeks etc, for 'warm up' is a bit 'over the top', that is until you experience it for yourself.

Then it's, 'Schiit, they were right…!"

And my record thus far (and I hope, never to be repeated) was ≈ 850hrs before it stopped, changing for the better.
And granted past say 4-500hrs (≈2-3 weeks), we're talking very small changes that would only become apparent if you knew the music REALLY WELL before hand.

Still it is amazing how much change there can be between 'cold' and peak SQ.

JJ
No, your brain adjusted. We are not robots, we change minute by minute. To be able to observe such small change would require a vantage point other than what our humanity offers. It's good! It means you're alive!

May 7, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #46,264 of 149,390
No, your brain adjusted. We are not robots, we change minute by minute. To be able to observe such small change would require a vantage point other than what our humanity offers. It's good! It means you're alive!
That is why i listen to music to feel ALIVE!!

May 7, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #46,267 of 149,390
I'm curious to know if Schiit feels any temptation to add a Roon ready ethernet port to any of their DACs. I know they are fully committed to USB and I think that is great. However, I've recently put together a very reasonably priced NUC based Roon Core so I'm interested in affordable ethernet DACs, and there appear to be few. It seems like a good fit to me but I don't know if the Roon market is nearly large enough to support such an effort. Thanks.

May 7, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #46,268 of 149,390
I'm curious to know if Schiit feels any temptation to add a Roon ready ethernet port to any of their DACs. I know they are fully committed to USB and I think that is great. However, I've recently put together a very reasonably priced NUC based Roon Core so I'm interested in affordable ethernet DACs, and there appear to be few. It seems like a good fit to me but I don't know if the Roon market is nearly large enough to support such an effort. Thanks.
Interesting.
Well, Schiit is certainly aware of Roon.
Schiit is listed under "Roon Tested devices"

https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

May 7, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #46,269 of 149,390

Interesting.
Well, Schiit is certainly aware of Roon.
Schiit is listed under "Roon Tested devices"

https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

I have Roon (running on a ROCK) with (mainly) Raspberry Pi endpoints with various HAT outputs. On devices that connect to Schiit stuff (Fulla, Modi & Modi MB for me) the devices are correctly identified by Roon with appropriate data provided.

May 7, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #46,270 of 149,390
I have Roon (running on a ROCK) with (mainly) Raspberry Pi endpoints with various HAT outputs. On devices that connect to Schiit stuff (Fulla, Modi & Modi MB for me) the devices are correctly identified by Roon with appropriate data provided.
+1
My home Jotunheim is recognized by Roon.
I'm just streaming from my home computer into Jot MB DAC then to whole house system (Russound).

May 7, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #46,271 of 149,390
+1
My home Jotunheim is recognized by Roon.
I'm just streaming from my home computer into Jot MB DAC then to whole house system (Russound).

The question is about built in ethernet. This is something that is showing up on more expensive DACs. I have a DigiOne and I know how all that works. Personally I like the idea of fewer boxes and fewer expensive power supplies. I hope that in 10 years we will look back at the bridge as a short term necessity (and that improved USB receivers will have made expensive sources unnecessary). But all that work has to be done by DAC manufacturers.

May 7, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #46,273 of 149,390
I'm not sure what numbers are being used here. If one is doing a relative comparison, MP3 data rates are usually given in bits-per-second so a 320kbps (highest quality) encoding of a 300 second piece (5min) will be 320000 x 300 / 8 or about 12MB (twelve mega-bytes). 24/192 data will be 192000 * 24 * 2(stereo) = 9216kbps so 300 seconds (uncompressed) is 9216000 * 300 / 8 or about 356.6MB. Raw CD pcm is 16/44.1 or 1441.2kbps

If I have my numbers right, then, in that context, I'm not sure where 64kbps comes in (either as bits/sec or bytes/sec) and if it should indicate something good or bad.

If you look at the comment I was quoting:

What would a Multibit ADC even do? Take a very good and musical analog signal and turn it into a 64kbps MP3?

I was referencing the number that was thrown out and trying to explain that the Jil would do a bit better. Yes, the 64 kbps is probably an exaggeration to to show contempt for the mp3 format, but I wanted to show that the Jil converts to bit rates the lossy mp3 codec (even if you go for 320 kbps mp3).

I admit I was being a little lazy with not writing out all of the math as you did to fully demonstrate my point, so I thank you for doing that.

May 7, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #46,274 of 149,390
May 7, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #46,275 of 149,390

Users who are viewing this thread

Back