Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #45,875 of 150,548
I am super disappointed that I missed out on the secret Magnepan room - I wanted to hear this new speaker:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker

"
Ever since Magnepan's Wendell Diller married this beautiful former Soviet spy (aka Agent G), he's been doing everything on the down low, hush-hush, totally covert. (Though I must say he does look good in dark glasses.)

This year at AXPONA he has a secret room, at the end of an obscure hall, with no signage. Agent G watches the door from a distance, and you must knock the secret knock to enter."

This is totally LOL. However; I have not heard anything close to what I heard there ever, in that price point.

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #45,876 of 150,548
I know that this is not audio related but I wish to share my sadness at destruction of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris today.

I am neither French nor Catholic but mankind itself is poorer today.

I am neither as well, but a sad day none-the-less. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #45,877 of 150,548
So, changing from lurker to active thread member myself I have a quick question (which I am quite sure hasn‘t been posted yet :wink: ).

I am currently using an Auralic Altair as Streaming DAC into the amp section of an Questyle CMA600i right through to my balanced HD800. I am planning to upgrade this setup with an Yggy and a Ragnarok 2 when it becomes availabe. As a streaming bridge I plan to use an Auralic Aries Mini with the Yggy via USB and „recycle“ the Altair in another chain. In my mind it makes no sense to use the Altair as a digital transport if the Aries Mini can do the same. Or would sticking with the Altair benefit me in any way even if I do use him only as transport? From my understanding the USB module in the Yggy reclocks the signal regardless of what happens beforehand so the internal clock of the Altair should have little to no effect on the sound quality, even if it is superior to the one built into the Aries Mini, right?

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #45,878 of 150,548
So, changing from lurker to active thread member myself I have a quick question (which I am quite sure hasn‘t been posted yet :wink: ).

I am currently using an Auralic Altair as Streaming DAC into the amp section of an Questyle CMA600i right through to my balanced HD800. I am planning to upgrade this setup with an Yggy and a Ragnarok 2 when it becomes availabe. As a streaming bridge I plan to use an Auralic Aries Mini with the Yggy via USB and „recycle“ the Altair in another chain. In my mind it makes no sense to use the Altair as a digital transport if the Aries Mini can do the same. Or would sticking with the Altair benefit me in any way even if I do use him only as transport? From my understanding the USB module in the Yggy reclocks the signal regardless of what happens beforehand so the internal clock of the Altair should have little to no effect on the sound quality, even if it is superior to the one built into the Aries Mini, right?

The Altair I don’t believe has any digital outputs does it? If it doesn’t, then you have no choice anyway, otherwise you can’t use Yggy :wink:

The Aries Mini I believe only has Coax and Toslink out, so you won’t be able to use the USB input from Yggy with that either. You could use the Coaxial or Toslink outputs however (I recommend Coax). Some say the Coax input sounds better on Yggy anyhow (at least for now until the new USB input is launched at some point), but I think all the inputs are relatively close.

If you want to use the USB input on Yggy then you will need something with a network/wifi input that also has USB digital output - for instance the full Auralic Aries (not the Mini) or something like a Sonore Microrendu or Sotm SMS-200, Allo USBridge etc, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #45,879 of 150,548
The Altair I don’t believe has any digital outputs does it? If it doesn’t, then you have no choice anyway, otherwise you can’t use Yggy :wink:

The Aries Mini I believe only has Coax and Toslink out, so you won’t be able to use the USB input from Yggy with that either. You could use the Coaxial or Toslink outputs however (I recommend Coax). Some say the Coax input sounds better on Yggy anyhow (at least for now until the new USB input is launched at some point), but I think all the inputs are relatively close.

If you want to use the USB input on Yggy then you will need something with a network/wifi input that also has USB digital output - for instance the full Auralic Aries (not the Mini) or something like a Sonore Microrendu or Sotm SMS-200, Allo USBridge etc, etc.

Actually both Auralic devices have USB out, the Mini has Toslink and Coax as well. So I am covered in regard to outputs. And I can‘t use the Coax to connect either due to a CD transport that needs to be connected as well and that one is Coax only.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #45,880 of 150,548
Actually both Auralic devices have USB, Toslink and Coax. The Altair even has AES. So I am covered in regard to outputs. And I can‘t use the Coax to connect either due to a CD transport that needs to be connected as well and that one is Coax only.
Can the ones on the Altair be configured as outputs? Becuase Auralic only lists them as inputs...

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #45,881 of 150,548
Can the ones on the Altair be configured as outputs? Becuase Auralic only lists them as inputs...
Yeah, I already saw that I switched Mini and Altair in my mind. Changed my post while you were replying.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #45,882 of 150,548
Yeah, I already saw that I switched Mini and Altair in my mind. Changed my post while you were replying.
I think you’re still incorrect about USB output too - can’t do it on either sorry.

Edit: I’m wrong. Although it says on Auralic’s site it has no digital outputs, right after that it says you can use USB output to a DAC. Nice one Auralic :frowning2:

In that case, I recommend the highest quality streamer possible - better streamer equals better sound even though the inputs are reclocked, I’ve had 3 different streamers on my Yggy and each upgrade sounded better. As always YMMV.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #45,883 of 150,548
I think you’re still incorrect about USB output too - can’t do it on either sorry.

Edit: wrong. Although it says on Auralic’site it has no digital outputs, right after that it say you can use USB output to a DAC :frowning2:

I am pretty sure that I am right about the USB out since both devices have an output labeled DAC and I already used both with the internal DAC of the Questyle CMA600i in the past. :)

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #45,884 of 150,548
I am pretty sure that I am right about the USB out since both devices have an output labeled DAC and I already used both with the internal DAC of the Questyle CMA600i in the past. :)
Yep, see my edit above now :wink:

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #45,885 of 150,548
Yep, see my edit above now :wink:
Then I‘ll try both as soon as the Yggy becomes available again in Europe and had a decent warm up period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back