Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #45,331 of 150,972
Are you restricting your comment to US philosophers, or do you mean we philosophers?

Pedantic, yes, but then philosophers are.
As @alpovs stated. All scientists are by default philosophers.
note: A scientist is someone with a full doctorate and/or PhD.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #45,332 of 150,972
Mar 30, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #45,334 of 150,972
Now that Aegir is coming I have a question.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RS8 speakers. 91dB and an easy load. My 30w Naim Unitiqute fills my room nicely with sound and by my best calculations I never use beyond about 10 Watts of power.

The rub for me is the specifications on the Speaker say Minimum 40 Watts.

Would I be crazy to consider Aegir as am amp? I'm thinking that 40W minimum rating is for HT receivers which outright lie about their specs. Sure a good 20W or my existing good 30W amps aren't hurting these speakers?
Will go fine and loud enough unless you ve a really big room

Mar 30, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #45,335 of 150,972
Follow up question:
Which amp between Vidar and Aegir would have the better chance of better control of the speakers, especially the bass. I want an amp that grabs the woofers and bends them to its will. So deeper more well defines bass. Is the Vidar with 100W on tap or Aegir with its Class A operation going to exert more control over the speakers?

The assumption being that my listening habits keep me in that 10W max region.

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #45,336 of 150,972
Follow up question:
Which amp between Vidar and Aegir would have the better chance of better control of the speakers, especially the bass. I want an amp that grabs the woofers and bends them to its will. So deeper more well defines bass. Is the Vidar with 100W on tap or Aegir with its Class A operation going to exert more control over the speakers?
The assumption being that my listening habits keep me in that 10W max region.

Ask for damping factor
AB is more Volts=power , more power can give you more damping but only on paper
A is more Amper=more bias ie lower distortion= better sound no better control

edit typo

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #45,337 of 150,972
Ask for dumping factor

I know we’re taking about Schiit here, but I think you mean damping factor. :dt880smile: Which is based on the output impedance

That spec hasn’t been published yet for Aegir. I’m curious about it as well.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #45,338 of 150,972
There are so many misconceptions and so much audiophoolery about amplifiers polluting the Interwebz and making people think they need things they do not... my advice? Buy whatever audio amplifier you want to use. Trust me it will work. See if you like the result.

Mar 30, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #45,339 of 150,972
There are so many misconceptions and so much audiophoolery about amplifiers polluting the Interwebz and making people think they need things they do not... my advice? Buy whatever audio amplifier you want to use. Trust me it will work. See if you like the result.

But if people didn't always complicate things and endlessly weigh the pros and cons, what would they have to write/talk about?

Mar 30, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #45,340 of 150,972

Ultimately the problem being that amps have a character. It will work is not what I'm going for. It will work and I enjoy it is what I'm going for.

I have several amps in the basement that just don't cut it for what I want. I have a pair of e-directvendor monoblocks that are 240W each and they are Boring. I have a 50W flex amp from the same company (Also clinical and boring). If I had the money there is another british made Name brand that exibits the characteristics I like, but $3,800 for an amp Ain't happenin. They are lower Watt, but exhibit excellent control over a speaker (at only 70W).

So Watts are not all created the same, hence the question. It would seem that a class A amp like Aegir could possibly have better control over a speaker than a class AB amp (at very different Wattages).

Some of us just don't have the funds to keep experimenting. Also the 30 days trial is never long enough to get over the honeymoon period and discover if you really like the amp (well for me at least).

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #45,341 of 150,972
Ultimately the problem being that amps have a character. It will work is not what I'm going for. It will work and I enjoy it is what I'm going for.

I have several amps in the basement that just don't cut it for what I want.
Then you are doing things the right way. Trust your ears, not internet-dweeb gobbledygook and double talk.

Mar 30, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #45,342 of 150,972
And no, there is nothing about amplifier class that has anything to do with "controlling the woofer" and I will argue that "controlling the woofer" in the way you are using the concept is simply a myth.

Mar 30, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #45,343 of 150,972
But if people didn't always complicate things and endlessly weigh the pros and cons, what would they have to write/talk about?
I don't know, truth maybe?

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #45,344 of 150,972
That is a gross understatement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back