Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #45,137 of 149,673
That's a BIG YES!!!

+1

It may cost more money than a dedicated power line, but in some circumstances a dedicated line is not possible, and/or prohibitively costly.

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #45,138 of 149,673
+1

It may cost more money than a dedicated power line, but in some circumstances a dedicated line is not possible, and/or prohibitively costly.
I was very lucky.
My appartement was renovated and I bribed the electrician with espresso, pasta, the power of music and Constanza's long revengeful memory.

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #45,140 of 149,673
How about a medical grade isolation transformer from a company like Tripp-Lite? Much more affordable than audio centric products.

This would be instead of a dedicated line, which is very impractical in my situation.

I use home made filters using Schaffner medical grade components. A member on an unrelated forum in the UK researched and developed the idea. It removes DC noise from the input.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #45,141 of 149,673
How about a medical grade isolation transformer from a company like Tripp-Lite? Much more affordable than audio centric products.

This would be instead of a dedicated line, which is very impractical in my situation.

I've been using Powervar transformer based conditioners for years. I use two, one for my 3 subs and TV the other for my HT PC, game PC and receiver. They are in a closet behind my audio/video system. They work extremely well but like any transformer based device they can hum.

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #45,142 of 149,673

Look at Topaz isolation transformers. Specifically those that have part numbers ending with "-31" or "-32" as they have .0005pF interwinding capacitance and block the most noise.

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #45,144 of 149,673
I was very lucky.
My appartement was renovated and I bribed the electrician with espresso, pasta, the power of music and Constanza's long revengeful memory.
I’m building a new house and will be doing the electrical in a few months with my father who is a licensed electrician.
For the theater room, are you just saying to run a dedicated run from a breaker to the electrical socket that my audio equipment will be plugged into?
And then plug my computer/projector into a separate electrical socket that’s on another run?
Would this prevent weird ground loop hum issues? My receiver would be connected to my PC and projector via HDMI.

I’m open to suggestions on the best way to go about wiring the room.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #45,146 of 149,673
Aegir news?

+1

Ragnarok 2 news?

Psssst to Mr @Jason Stoddard some of us have an afternoon coffee break coming up. We could use some new reading material. Current US news is
giphy (3).gif

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #45,147 of 149,673
For the theater room, are you just saying to run a dedicated run from a breaker to the electrical socket that my audio equipment will be plugged into?
Yes.

And then plug my computer/projector into a separate electrical socket that’s on another run?
Yes.

Would this prevent weird ground loop hum issues? My receiver would be connected to my PC and projector via HDMI.
I don't know because there could be a lot of other schiit at your house generating that.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #45,148 of 149,673
I’m building a new house and will be doing the electrical in a few months with my father who is a licensed electrician.

I’m open to suggestions on the best way to go about wiring the room.

I suggest you gather input from @Ableza who knows many valuable details about such an installation.
He's likely to check-in later, after work. Great question, by the way, and congrats on the new house :)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #45,149 of 149,673
Hi every one, my name is Leopold from Vienna, Austria/Europe and I'm a Schiit-head.

Since I have to thank all of you here for owning two pieces of Schiit now, I thought I will share my impressions with Schiit, in instalments. First two instalments today, I never got around to posting the first one when I wrote it.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #45,150 of 149,673
Step One

I have recently acquired a used Schiit Freya preamp, a used Gungir MB USB5 (from a HeadFier in Portugal) and a brand new amp based on Nelson Pass’ Aleph J. This Schiit will displace a (really competent and pleasant) TEAC UD 501 DAC. Other components I use are an Accuphase E-302 integrated, a fanless Euler Media PC with SS discs running a Roon NUC. Transducers are original Tannoy Cheviots (not the modern re-issue), connected to 16ga wire long enough to reach all the way to the amp. Interconneects are home brew teflon insulated whispy thin solid core silver wire

Rather than coming as a package, everything will come from a different seller, from a different country, arriving at different times. Which turns out to be great, because that way I can listen to every step of the transformation for a while.

The Freya is a joy to behold. My wife, not a big fan of audio equipment has stopped several times in front of it just to tell me how beautiful she thinks Freya is. How ‘bout that for WAF?

The remote and its buttons take some getting used to. The loud, metallic clicks that accompany volume changes were scary at first, I think they have gotten softer over time. The unit, even though I let it acclimate in the room for maybe three hours was quite cold, I think. Outside temp that day was freezing and it had been travelling for a few days. Why switching between sources as well as muting needs to be accentuated by clicks almost as loud as the stepped ladder resistor’s begs to be. Would some sound deadening material have been an issue of cost or negatively affected the sound quality? Does such an exquisite product be so harsh on the ears of its blissed out owners when they operate it?

A sound that is liquid joy. Where the Accuphase is all about Sound, the Freya is a wide open window into the music. Freya is seriously good. The Accuphase still does duty as power amp, and in it’s new setting it’s actually quite neutral and disappearing. All the character of Freya shines through the many stages of the E-302. Quite surprisingly, I could happily live with that.

Oh, maybe someone can tell me please if Freya’s LEDs are supposed way behind the front, inside the case, as opposed to being situated in their respective little holes and glowing from there?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back