Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 25, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #45,122 of 155,069
I wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded regarding the Vidar transformer hum. I haven't had a chance to play around with it but I will try to in the next week or so. I also contacted Schiit and they told me the same thing many people here said, which is to loosen and tighten the screws on the bottom of the unit, presumably to see if I can get a better coupling between the chassis and the transformer to make the hum less audible. If that doesn't work I'll probably send it in for servicing just to have the peace of mind that everything is working exactly as it should. You have to love that 5 year warranty.

For general information, I received my Vidar January of last year. A few days after I got it, Schiit emailed me and said they discovered a manufacturing glitch in that production run. They gave me a prepaid label to mail it back to them and sent me a new unit as soon as they confirmed that mine was given to Fedex. I'm pretty sure the unit I got back has always had the transformer hum, but it never really bothered me before because the lights in the same room were florescent, and hummed even louder. I have since switched to LED lights, and I think that's why Vidar has been bothering me since. When I use my Schiit gear intermittently, I leave it on to keep everything warmed up. Now that my lights aren't making noise, I can hear the Vidar hum when it's on and I'm not using it. Again, it's not very loud but it's enough to be annoying when I'm sitting 5 - 10 feet from it.

I am already planning on going to the Shiitrmeet on April 5th, so hopefully I can just bring my Vidar with me then and drop it off to avoid paying any shipping fees

Mar 25, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #45,123 of 155,069
You might try one of those Emotiva DC offset filters CMX-2.

I have a couple of them they work wonderfully.

Thanks, and this would be good perhaps, but they are 120 VAC, and I need 240 VAC for Australia. Will look out for something similar to try if my other tests are not successful :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #45,124 of 155,069
I have since switched to LED lights, and I think that's why Vidar has been bothering me since.
LED lights, as a rule, give of more noise than older bulbs.
When I got my dedicated power line and switched all lightning to another incoming power group the effect was positively amazing. Much better.

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #45,128 of 155,069
LED lights, as a rule, give of more noise than older bulbs.
When I got my dedicated power line and switched all lightning to another incoming power group the effect was positively amazing. Much better.

I definitely would recommend doing what you did Doc.

I ran a dedicated line to my audio system before I ever started to put it together.

I have never regretted it, I keep my computer on the AC line in the room and I have a dedicated line coming straight from the main.

I have never had any hum or any AC power issues.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #45,129 of 155,069
:beerchug:
I definitely would recommend doing what you did Doc.

I ran a dedicated line to my audio system before I ever started to put it together.

I have never regretted it, I keep my computer on the AC line in the room and I have a dedicated line coming straight from the main.

I have never had any hum or any AC power issues.
Even better a dedicated fuse, completely seperated from the rest. Unfortunately today i don’t have anymore it was my cheapest and best upgrade ever in the past thanks to a boiler going out. Still might install something new like that in my current house. You guys trigger the hifi bug constantly:clap:

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #45,130 of 155,069
Just curious all these talk about power lines, hums etc,

Would a product like the PS Audio Power Plant, which converts AC to DC and then back to AC, would give a “cleaner” power?

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #45,131 of 155,069
Just curious all these talk about power lines, hums etc,

Would a product like the PS Audio Power Plant, which converts AC to DC and then back to AC, would give a “cleaner” power?
Yes but for a LOT of money

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #45,132 of 155,069
Power-Clean-Oil-Remover-4-litre.jpg

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #45,133 of 155,069
I apologize for inserting this question but I did not know where else to go to ask it. I have been looking at info on iFI's Nano I galvanic 3.0. Do any of you use this device to your dac(s)? Is it necessary when using a Schiit dac?

Thanks for your insight(s)

Mr Pete------------->
aging hippie

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #45,134 of 155,069
I apologize for inserting this question but I did not know where else to go to ask it. I have been looking at info on iFI's Nano I galvanic 3.0. Do any of you use this device to your dac(s)? Is it necessary when using a Schiit dac?

Mr Pete------------->
aging hippie
Which Schiit DAC? USB gen 5?

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #45,135 of 155,069

Mr Pete------------->
aging hippie

Definitely not necessary (especially with Gen5 USB), however it might help if you have noise issues etc... Personally, I'd give Wyrd a try at almost 1/4 the price before even thinking about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back