Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #44,296 of 151,180
Unison USB could fit into anything we want it to. Heck, it could fit in Fulla 2. It's actually physically smaller than our current C-Media based solution. However, Unison is a bit more expensive than our current USB input, and, as mentioned before, this is a future-looking product (no W7 support), so we'll be careful what we put it in until W7 is well and truly dead. So, Unison small products are pretty far out. Expect to see it in a card first.

so only one more year?
Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020 - announced last week

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #44,297 of 151,180
I warm most everything up for a half hour to an hour before I listen.

And some things I never turn off, ie..Yggy and my Jotunheim

even the maker of my solid-state integrated amp Anthem, recommends in the owner's manual you warm it up for a half an hour before listening.

I warm up my Lyr2 for around an hour mostly not for the tubes but for the entire amplifier to get toasty.

I do believe it sounds better this way. The magic doesn't really happen till it's very warm to the touch. :L3000:
I too leave my JggyB and Rok amp on all the time.
But I will listen to the 45 amp as it warms up just to hear what the SQ does as it morphs from 'cold' to fully thermally stabilized.
And it appears that these 'burn in hrs' are cumulative, thankfully.

And I really do wonder what the heck is going on that results in these variations of SQ as the hrs accumulate, because I'd REALLY like to make these sorts of behaviors stop, go away, cease and desist, but thus far, all of my fussing has done is in some cases just lengthened the time it takes to fully stabilize.
Sorta going backwards in this regard.

And since the 45 amp is still being fussed with, and on a semi regular basis, it hasn't had the length of time (not 10's but 100's of hrs) of no changes.
And the pattern has emerged that at ≈ 40+hrs (in this case, after I tweaked the 45's bias) there is a remarkable SQ step up, which I'm hearing even as I write this.

Elsewhere we use the term REALNESS as a descriptor of SQ and when I hit this time 'window' of ≈ 40+hrs, that REALNESS button gets mashed down, hard, and in no uncertain terms.

This is when the magic smacks you up side yer head.

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #44,298 of 151,180
I write an 'Audio Log' of changes and descriptions of how the SQ morphs thru time.
And I reset the 'counter' after every major change (and even some minor changes) to my system and note the SQ patterns that emerge.
Of course this is all based upon my system, so these results may not directly apply to other systems.

Even so I would suggest that when you roll tubes leave them alone for 'a while', which in my case, at the moment, is many 10's of hours, and as my 45 amp requires less and less tweaking the 10's of hrs will increase to 100's of hrs, which is the time scale I usually use for all of the tweaking I perform.
This is the procedure I have refined over the course of years and it has proven itself to be quite helpful in helping to steer which of my experiments are 'next' as those that don't contribute in a positive way, are weeded out.

In addition the first several hrs of operation (after thermal equilibrium has been reached) can sometimes be used as an initial guide, but I have found it is only an initial 'taste' of what the 'full' SQ has to deliver.
And as an example it has taken several hundred hrs stretching upwards of 1-2Khrs before the full beneficial impact is in full evidence for some of my experiments.

And no I don't have an explanation as to why it can take so long, only that it's a pattern that has been repeatedly repeated, with variations over the course of years, as I track all of these changes, one at a time.

But the observed SQ shifts and changes can, in some cases, be surprising and biggly wonderful/delightful.

And I'd say try the 10's of hrs experiment to see if it holds true for you as well.
It certainly can't hurt and you might just discover that your system can deliver surprises of it's own.

JJ

Sounds like you ought to get into reviewing gear, you have quite the detailed methodology.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #44,299 of 151,180
Feb 23, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #44,300 of 151,180
I have been running 6N3P-E OTK Reflektor - NOS - 1977 in the Mjolnir 2. Chain = Cambridge CXC -> Coax -> Gungnir MB -> Balanced -> Mjolnir 2 -> Balanced -> Phones.
Extraodinary with Sennheiser HD 650. Not so with HiFiMan HE560.
Rolled to, ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo - June 1961, now wonderful with the HiFiMan, but not so much with the Sennheiser.

Synergy wins.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #44,301 of 151,180
I warm most everything up for a half hour to an hour before I listen.

And some things I never turn off, ie..Yggy and my Jotunheim

even the maker of my solid-state integrated amp Anthem, recommends in the owner's manual you warm it up for a half an hour before listening.

I warm up my Lyr2 for around an hour mostly not for the tubes but for the entire amplifier to get toasty.

I do believe it sounds better this way. The magic doesn't really happen till it's very warm to the touch. :L3000:

Agreed - most amps benefit from being warm before you listen to them. I also don't turn off my Schiit Modi and Bifrost Multibit DACs - they really benefit from being left on for quite a while before listening. I'm not sure how long 'quite a while' really is so I just leave them on.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #44,302 of 151,180
There is is no such thing as a JggyB......or even a Jggy.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #44,304 of 151,180
Naw Schiit cherlok…
hahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #44,306 of 151,180
I'm in this boat. When I finish building my house and have a place to actually put a 2 channel system, I plan to spend 2-3x more on speakers than ALL of the electronics combined. Hence the reason I am interested in Schiit. Even if I go all out, multibit, balanced end-to-end with dual monoblocks it's just a bit over $3k. I bet a pair of Klipsch LaScala II would sound pretty awesome plugged into that. Or maybe some Focal Electra 1038 BE... Or maybe some B&W 804 D3... Or maybe some GoldenEar Triton One.R... Or maybe some KEF R11... Or..................... I need to audition some speakers.

I'm thinking my speaker setup will be DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 -> Schiit Vidar, or a pair of Aegirs, or whatever exciting Schiit has cooked up by then -> a pair of Elac Adante AF-61.
But first I'll buy or build a house.

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #44,307 of 151,180
It's absolutely outstanding the time and effort you and the gang put out as well as with the constant introspection and improvement. Thanks again, it's refreshing in this day and age. Just remember not to burn yourselves out.
Exactly! Find the rhythm that suits you:call_me:

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #44,308 of 151,180
I just updated my Schiit stack (new layout). The only thing missing in the picture is Magni3, which is on loan to a friend to evaluate.
The Mani phone pre-amp is tugged away behind the Yggy. So that makes a total of 8 pieces of Schiit.

You are very close to complete Schiit!

Feb 24, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #44,309 of 151,180
To my peeps:
If you are struggling with streaming music to your home network devices, I stumbled across the following 2017 article on How To Geek dot com. I was fussing around with my WiFi-router's media-streaming-server feature... that worked most of the time. I discovered that Windows 7 (and onwards) does have DLNA capabilities... that seems to work all of the time. As long as one has Win7's Media Player installed, one can activate it. End result at my listening nook = Foobar2000 (for Android [ChromeOS]) immediately recognised my music library once I activated it. And I listen to some happy Beautiful South tunes... like the Rocking Chair, 36D, and When I'm 84. :ksc75smile:

If one runs Windows 8, 9, 10, 11 (heh), it's an easy setting to activate. For us using Windows 7, it's not an obvious setting. I'm getting closer to happy (reliable) streaming to my Chromebook-then-Modi. :ksc75smile:

Adding value to the thread, eh.
Sincerely, ScubaMan

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #44,310 of 151,180

Users who are viewing this thread

Back